Life in Tennessee, November 1862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life in Tennessee, November 1862

The following, written by Louis Simmons on November 28, 1862, shows that life in Tennessee was much better for the men of the 84th than October's constant marching in Kentucky.

"We remained in camp at Silver Springs, where my last was dated until the morning of the 19th inst., when we took the road to Nashville. After marching some two and a half hours, in the rain, we came in sight of the “Hermitage,” where “old Hickory” the patriot hero and statesman passed his declining years. We had not a very fair view of the place, as it is some sixty rods from the turnpike, and is almost completely surrounded by trees and shrubbery. The rain prevented the bands of the brigade from playing, but the flags were spread to the breeze while passing, and not a few shouts were heard, as the several regiments came in sight of the place. I should have been glad to have visited a place so much celebrated, but of course there was no opportunity. A couple of miles further on we met some members of the 16th Ill., going out with a foraging train (of wagons) and were surprised to learn that said regiment was in camp on the west side of Stony River, two miles further on. We crossed the river about noon; halted for dinner, and a few minutes afterward Captain Chapman came over to see us. He appears to be in fine health, and in appearance has improved vastly since he left Macomb. After halting an hour, we marched by the camp of the 16th, about a mile, and then turned southeast a mile or two and went into camp, only about a mile from them. As soon as our tents were set, Joe. Waters, Thos. Whitehead and myself went over to make our old friends a visit. We found them enjoying the the best of health, and living in better style than we are accustomed to in the 84th – the result of experience in camp life, no doubt. Took supper with Capt. White and Lieut. Bartholomew, and breakfast Lieut. Cash, Orderly Lane and Marsh Burr. Had the pleasure of spending the evening and talking over old times with the above named, Will Campbell, Tip Benham, Harry Gordon, Hainline, and others from Macomb and old McDonough. The next day the 16th boys returned the visit, and as long as we remained so near each other the visiting went on. The 16th, for some reason, got an ugly name soon after they went to Missouri, but I am now strongly inclined to doubt the truth of the charges against them, for their conduct and appearance, in every respect shows them to be gentlemen, and true, patriotic, wholesome soldiers. Out stay in their vicinity was particularly pleasant, and you may guess we talked Macomb all over, and “tattled” about everybody left there. We were encamped on a portion of the Jackson estate, and the boys spent no little of their spare time in digging green-brier roots, and making pipes. You’ll some huge “Hermitage” pipes when they get home, some of singular shapes, some covered with singular devices. When we first came here there was abundance of persimens all about our camp, sweet as honey, and delicious almost beyond description, but the army soon devoured them. We had so pleasant a camp, that we were almost sorry when the order came to march on the evening of the 25th inst. Again on the morning of the 26th we took the road towards Nashville, and supposed we were to pass through the city, but when within two or three miles of it, in sight of the State House, we turned off to the left, until we came to the Murfreesboro pike, when we again set our tents, and where we still remain. Although we are only three miles from the famous city, the probability is that but few of the regiment will have the pleasure of visiting it, for only two commissioned officers from the regiment and one private from each company can go each day under the present orders. If we stay here three days longer my turn will come to go, and if so fortunate, I may get to see the “elephant.”"
    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.
Working...
X