• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan Protz
    replied
    Re: Quick AAR of Sorts

AAR Franklin LH

My Dearest Maria,

My apologies for not writing for quite some time now. I have had hardly any time to prepare biscuits let alone write. After we left Atlanta our march has been quick and fast paced. We left in such a hurry that it seemed no one knew of what was to come. For the past few weeks, rumors were heard throughout the regiment that we were heading north into Tennessee. The rumors ended up being true as I find myself starting to write this letter to you on the grounds of a grand home here on the outskirts of Franklin. I have never seen a more magnificent home Maria. It would surely be a sight to see in the spring as opposed to now with no flowers in bloom or leaves on the trees.
    The weather as of late has been less than desirable. It has rained on and off now for several days and there seems to be no signs of it letting up. However, the men seem to be in good spirits regardless of our current situation. Sleeping at night has been rough, but some of the men were lucky enough to find shelter on the porch of this home. I do not like being cold at night, so I decided to sleep next to the fire. Unfortunately, I awoke several times to downpours and rather large gusts of winds.
    We all awoke this morning to one of the officers walking amongst the men. Everyone was rather quiet and we were told to congregate around the porch. It was then when I realized that we were about to march again. Each of the men were issued one hard cracker and told to get our belongings together. When we stop again, I will finish my letter.
    The march was short and took up only the morning hours. We marched through the town briefly and what a sight it was to see some of the townsfolk waving at us from their front porches. Most seemed quite enthused about our being there and we were greeted with smiles and waves. We are now camped on another property and we were told this is our campsite for the night. It was now pushing midday and the rain was still not letting up. Nonetheless the morale amongst the men ran high.
    It was here at this camp that we were issued a more sustainable ration. We received pork, potatoes, onions, greens, flour, coffee, and pumpkins. We did our best to make fires with the saturated wood and high winds. We all came together and completed the task at hand. It was a most desirable meal and one that I will not forget. Cooking the pumpkins was certainly a new task Maria. We will have to try this when I return home. Maybe you will have better ideas about cooking them than we did.
    I hope this letter will find you well and that the winter months will be easy on you and the family. Try not to worry about my well-being for I am fine. The socks and scarf that you sent me a few months ago have come in handy and kept me warm. Please thank my dear mother for taking the time to make them for me. I do not believe the war will last much longer now with the fall of Atlanta. Some of the boys have heard things are not going well out east either. Nonetheless, I hope to be home soon.
    Your Loving Husband,
    Ryan

Ryan Protz

Leave a comment:

• coastaltrash
    started a topic Quick AAR of Sorts

Quick AAR of Sorts

While the kettles and boxes are still dirty, my gear is still drying/airing out but more importantly while it’s fresh on my mind let me profusely say thank you again. When Justin Morris J.W. Conley Brian DesRochers and Brad Willingham set out with this idea we only thought we wanted to have 30 guys there, then it just went from there. We registered more than the actual regiment had at the battle, and that made me proud. What made me even more proud was looking out at the Battalion yesterday as you guys cooked breakfast in the driving rain, sitting there with Justin and realizing the only two guys on that entire field not joking around or making the best of a situation were the two of us. And in that moment I was truly humbled and thankful for each and every one of you guys for embracing the situation and making it your moment. We all dedicate ourselves to this hobby in many different ways, but when you guys were doing that it made every late night, text message, email, research, recipes and every other aspect of this event entirely worth it.

Again, thanks to John Turner for your passion for great programs. Your speech during the assault made me so damn proud to call you a friend. Douglas Watkins thank you for that sweet sweet meat. (That’s what she said) Jordan Ricketts for getting the bread made up and to us even though he couldn’t go. Michael Clarke thanks for the challenge to do stuff better. Thanks to the company commanders and NCOs for your dedication and tireless leadership.

Thank you for support the Independent Rifles, thank you for following me even if it’s out of curiosity alone and thank you for bringing dedication straight to the front out West.

Last like I do with all of these things- I’ve got to thank my wife for being cool with all of this.
Working...
X