15th Alabama at Gettysburg - June 28-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15th Alabama at Gettysburg - June 28-30

The Liberty Rifles will be hosting a Living History that will be immersive in nature but with heavy public interaction through the day. We will field four companies of the 15th Alabama, as we have a cap on the number of participants. Participation at this event is by invitation only.

The highlight of the weekend will be a real time simulated assault against the public who will be on the spur of Little Round Top as the 20th Maine. We as the 15th will launch several attacks against them, all of which will be interwoven with an NPS Ranger Program.

The rest of the weekend will include additional daytime programs. We will camp at the pristine 19th Century Slyder Farm on the battlefield, issue rations, drill, and engage in some very unique public demos.

Stay tuned for additional information!

alabama.jpg

-Craig Schneider
    Craig Schneider

Re: 15th Alabama at Gettysburg - June 28-30

Hope the weather cooperates.....The event this year was brutal....and effectively was cut short....BUT a great opportunity!!!
    [FONT="Georgia"]
    Pete Bedrossian
    150th NY/3rd N.C.T.
    [/FONT
    ]

Comment

How do you get an invite ? I would love to go.
      Keith Van Buskirk

Comment

Hi, all, I am a longtime Civil War historian and re-enactor. I had a great-great-grandfather and great-great-great uncle in the 15th Alabama. Although I am primarily a Union living historian, with the 100th Ohio and 116th Pennsylvania, I have frequently done a Confederate impression as well. During the film Gettysburg I was a 20th Maine soldier, but one of the highlights of my life as a living historian was spending a day during the filming as a 15th Alabama private -- before I learned of my family connection.

In short, I would LOVE to be a part of this event. Is it possible to be considered for an invitation?
        Don Allison

Comment

Originally posted by mtnchopper47 View Post
          How do you get an invite ? I would love to go.
          Good question which I'm sure others would like to know the answer to.
          Adam Dintenfass

Comment

I've heard you simply have to ask the National Park Service and explain to them what you want to do that weekend.
            Jason David

Peter Pelican
            36th Illinois Co. "B"
            Prodigal Sons Mess
            Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Please do not contact the National Park Service in regard to being invited to this event. Recruiting for this event is not being conducted by the National Park Service.

Philip Brown
              Philip Brown

Comment

I should have clarified. You have to contact them and explain to them what you want to do and generally they will oblige.
                Originally posted by brownjrp View Post
                Please do not contact the National Park Service in regard to being invited to this event. Recruiting for this event is not being conducted by the National Park Service.

Philip Brown
                Jason David

Peter Pelican
                36th Illinois Co. "B"
                Prodigal Sons Mess
                Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Calling all authentic/hardcore/progressive reenactors. We have a few open slots available for non LR Members for our 15th Alabama Infantry event June 28-30 at Gettysburg National Battlefield. If you would like to attend, please submit a photograph of yourself in your best June 1863 ANV kit to 15thalabamainfy@gmail.com. Please include a bit of information about yourself as well. Approval to attend will be based on your impression - including weight and age. If you are easily offended, or have difficulty with objective feedback, please do not submit. Your kit MUST be top notch, and you MUST be in good physical shape. Also, if you don’t like being in a simulated military environment, with high expectations, this is not the event for you. You’ll be expected to show up with a clean musket and your kit squared away.

We will be portraying 4 Companies of the 15th Alabama Infantry during the Battle of Gettysburg. The weekend will include camping at the totally period and totally bad ass Slyder Farm, soldier daily life experiences like camp calls, issued rations, lots of drill, details, police guard, and of course plenty of down time, unique interpretive programs (not doing the same old firing demo at 9, 11, and 2 at Spangler Spring), and capped off with a real time assault program following the route of the 15th Alabama, with the spectators acting the role of the Federal Line at Little Round Top. So send us an e mail and we’ll go from there.

Thanks!

Uniform Guidelines:

Jacket
                  1.) Richmond Clothing Bureau "Type 2" jacket made of vegetable dyed brown or gray jeans. If you need to or wish to get a new jacket for this event, we HIGHLY recommend County Cloth L1 Logwood Jeans (woven specifically to match the fabric seen in four of the six surviving jeans Richmond jackets) or Ben Tart's Yarn Dyed Sumac. Linings should be cotton osnaburg, not shirting, check, or otherwise.

Trousers
                  1.) Richmond Clothing Bureau trousers made of vegetable dyed brown or gray jeans.
                  2.) Other military-style trousers made out of similar domestic cloth.

Shirt
                  1.) Confederate issue shirt made of cotton osnaburg is preferred. The “Hollyday” pattern works very well, and the “Louisiana” pattern can be used to make a good representative example.
                  2.) Citizen's shirts. We're trying to limit the number of "homespun" check shirts, not because they're wrong, just very over represented in our opinion. So if you have a nice cotton print shirt, or plain cotton or wool citizen's shirt, go with that over the homespun.

Headgear
                  1.) Citizen’s “slouch” hats
                  2.) Richmond Clothing Bureau caps with bound oilcloth brims, made of domestic jeans

Footwear
                  1.) Confederate military shoes or citizen’s shoes or boots
                  2.) Federal Bootees

Canteen
                  1.) Tin drum canteen on a plain webbing, sewn cotton, or leather sling is strongly preferred
                  2.) Wooden “Gardner” pattern canteen on a plain webbing, sewn cotton, or leather sling
                  3.) Refurbished Federal canteen with a CS-made “split” leather sling
                  4.) Federal Issue Canteens

Haversack
                  1.) CS haversack copied from an original government-made example. This is an easy way to create some uniformity within a company. Simple osnaburg haversacks such as the "Henry Neal" or "Goulding" bags are great options. Please avoid haversacks made of carpet, tapestry, ticking, etc.
                  2.) Federal Haversacks

Marching Order should be light! Don’t carry too much baggage!

Knapsacks
                  1.) Isaac and Campbell knapsack
                  2.) “Kibbler”/ “Mexican War”-style knapsack
                  3.) "Reissued" Federal knapsacks

If you don't have one of these three types, go with a blanket roll.

Blankets
                  1.) Confederate issue
                  2.) Citizens Blankets
                  3.) Federal Issue Blankets

Tentage
                  We will be bivouacking without fly tents.

Arms – A mix of ammunition was being issued to the 15th Alabama in the 2nd Quarter of 1863, with predominately .58 caliber being most predominant, followed by .69 caliber, with a very small number of .54 caliber ammunition being issued.
                  1.) P-1853 Enfield Rifle Musket.
                  2.) M-1855/1861 Springfield or Richmond
                  3.) M-1816 Springfield converted to percussion or M-1842 Springfield.
                  4.) M-1841 Mississippi Rifle

All arms must be clean, oiled, and in excellent working order.

Accoutrements
                  1.) Domestically-made Confederate issue cartridge box, cap box, belt, and scabbard with ANV provenance is preferred. Plain roller buckle or frame buckle belts are encouraged.
                  2.) Imported British cartridge boxes, cap pouches, Ball Bags, belts, and scabbards.
                  ​​3.) Federal accoutrements.

E502B589-95C1-43A6-82EB-3B434483F54B.jpeg
                  Michael Clarke
                  Liberty Rifles
                  True Blues
                  Black Hats

Comment

Working...
                  X