Just Some Thoughts While Going Down I-81

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Some Thoughts While Going Down I-81

I wanted to toss a thanks out to the Liberty Rifles for hosting yet again, another awesome program. Up until a week ago I wasn’t even going to be able to make the event, after knowing for months my personal life was about to be pretty full this time of year. Mid way through moving into our new house my wife gave me some strict orders- call Baker and hit the road. I needed this event, I needed this road trip and I needed this experience, I just didn’t know how bad at the time. I was glad to be there as Herb took his last stance as commander of the WIG, well deserved bud.

The sentiment I kept hearing repeated over and over after the charge was “Man, I have wanted to do that since I was X years old and my Dad/Mom showed me Gettysburg for the first time”. Which to me was cool because among a battalion of some of the best living historians in the hobby. It really shows the level of passion for a lot of guys to take this from a young age passion, maintain that, expand on it, grow it and evolve. Coolest moment for me was walking up to the NY monument on top of Little Round Top and look over that field with my buddies and talk to one of them about how emotional the event was and how personal it was for us all to be standing there overlooking a field out Dad’s always talked about but were unfortunately never able to actually make it to Gettysburg. Going up and down those Hills and churning that dirt with some of the best guys was perfect and anyone that’s been sitting on the fence about going to an LR events needs to get off the fence and get going. Being able to educate the public is great, being able to do it in great kit with a bunch of dudes is even better, but having the ability and have worked for a trust level enough to do programs where you emotionally tap into someone is a rare thing in any hobby, let alone this one.

Thanks guys for pushing the envelope and setting up great programs.
    Last edited by coastaltrash; 06-30-2019, 04:48 PM.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: Just Some Thoughts While Going Down I-81

Thanks for sharing that. I wish I had been able to do it. You are right. It's one of those things I have wanted to do as a kid, since I first visited the battlefield. Hoping there is another chance for me soon! I won't miss the next one if I can help it!
    Michael Cairns

Comment

Working...
    X