5th NYHA Picket Post at Cedar Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th NYHA Picket Post at Cedar Creek

The Liberty Rifles will be hosting a partially Immersive/Public Interp Picket Post, portraying Company H, 5th New York Heavy Artillery at the Battle of Cedar Creek, on the actual site where their Division was camped and operated. We will have a static, established camp and will spend our time doing public programs, as well as immersive camping, drilling, and starting Saturday afternoon, we will picket the Ford and Creek that the 5th was picketing when they were attacked by Kershaw's Division the morning of the 19th, over a mile wide front of original ground. We will run the weekend on a strict military schedule and in accordance with a military Chain of Command and structure. Strict adherence to authenticity guidelines and abstinence from modern anachronisms will be enforced! To ensure the high quality of participants, this event is INVITE ONLY. Per usual, weight and age standards will be enforced, as well as kit and attitude. The focus of this event will be public interpretation, fundraising for the Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation, and some immersive experiences for us as well. Registration will be going up next week!

IMG_0830.JPG
    Michael Clarke
    Liberty Rifles
    True Blues
    Black Hats

Re: 5th NYHA Picket Post at Cedar Creek

Registration is live and we have already filled over 100 of our 130 available spots. If you're looking for an authentic alternative in October...here's your chance! https://www.libertyrifles.org/schedule/5th-nyha
    Michael Clarke
    Liberty Rifles
    True Blues
    Black Hats

Comment

Offering my AAR for the late event at Cedar Creek Battlefield, Thoburn's Position, October 11-13. I had the pleasure of commanding Company H, of the 5th NYHA as recreated by the Liberty Rifles.

My day began Friday morning with loading up horses, a well, and a caisson onto trailers and trucks, to embark on the journey up the Valley to Cedar Creek. During the drive, I reflected on what must be at least 12 instances where I had traveled that same path, the same time of year, to that same battlefield for the time honored tradition of the Cedar Creek battle reenactment. Although I often find myself not in favor of battle reenactments, it was impossible to not feel some nostalgia for those early days, which were quite a bit of fun for a young man! But my reflection turned towards our new direction and the mission we had for the upcoming weekend. It always seems the day of, a million different thoughts go through my head, logistical needs, etc. For anyone who has planned events, the day of is usually an extremely stressful one. But as soon as friends start rolling in, it seems like all of that stress starts to melt away and you can start to enjoy the weekend. For me, this detox moment began around 5 pm as I began to shuttle trailer loads of yankees over to the event site from the parking lot. Many old friends and new were in attendance and after 3 loads of guys yelling and goofing off, and giving me a hard time, my anxiety about event logistics dissipated. By 10 pm we had our 75 man Company of heavy artillerymen in camp, along with over 15 horses, 2 rifles and limber chests, a caisson, and 20 light artillerymen. Men were immediately set to work cutting beef, and gathering firewood. Large fires blazed as we were treated to a very pleasant fall sunset. I then commenced to spend a few enjoyable hours around the fire with my pards before turning in for the night.

Reveille sounded Saturday morning at 5:30 am and with no blush of light apparent. But a busy day lay ahead of us and much needed to be accomplished. The first order of business was to issue the weekend's rations of fresh beef, soft bread, coffee, rice, and onions to the men, and get breakfast cooking. I satisfied myself with a piece of toast and a cup of coffee, and met with the other Officers to go over our schedule for the day. Our first drill was at 7:30 am and went for an hour and a half. It was conducted by the NCO's of the Company and was a great way to sharpen everyone up for the business at hand for the rest of the weekend. After the first drill, the men retreated to their pipes and newspapers in camp, while some of the more energetic members of the company struck up a game of ball. It was in this way that we passed some time on what was becoming a gorgeous fall day. The old 5th US Battery B was encamped in close proximity to us and commenced drilling during this time, their horses being worked into a lather, with bugles sounding and stock creaking along - it set quite a martial scene against the rolling hills, changing leaves, and looming mountains. at 10:45 am we commenced at drill once more, this time without arms. The men were worked at Company and Platoon Drill and quickly demonstrated their proficiency at such maneuvers. Lt Hooks, Sgt Blair, and Sgt Davis certainly got their exercise in on Platoon Drill!
      Our first public demonstration was scheduled for 1 PM. The men were ordered to fall in at 12:30 and so began a short march of perhaps 3/4 of a mile to the demonstration site. The demo was to be a combined arms demonstration that gave a quick action packed vignette of tactics, followed by a series of interpretive stations for the public to engage and learn about Heavy Artillery/Infantry, Equine, and Light Artillery. A large crowd had gathered for the demo which was narrated by Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation staff. Right at 1 pm, with a shout and a bugle call, the light artillery rolled forward, unlimbered on the crest of the ridge to our front, and began hammering away. Orders were given to Co H to take arms and load. After perhaps 5 minutes, we advanced in a line of battle towards the Section to our front, and once within perhaps 8 rods of the 5th US Battery B, I gave the command "Arms Port" and the men advanced with a shout, through the horses and guns, where we commenced firing at a rapid pace. After giving the command to Cease Fire, and a short demonstration of Company Drill, we marched to our respective stations, and engaged the public for the next hour. Compliments to Phil Brown, Fred Rickard, and Jeff Baldwin who gave the talks at each station. The public eventually left with SVBF staff to go and tour the original earthworks that still remain in remarkable shape, and Co. H fell in, and marched back to our camp.

Arriving back at camp at 2:30, the men were ordered to cook the balance of their rations, and get some rest, as we would be going on picket that evening. I was able to sneak in a small nap during this time, followed by some cabbage and onions, and a LARGE portion of rice. Next came the now famous Cool Ripper (my pipe), and a cup of coffee. At 5:30 the men were ordered to prepare their baggage for picket duty, stuff their haversacks with whatever food was left, and fall in. We marched a distance of perhaps a 1 1/2 miles down an incline towards Cedar Creek and Bowman's Mill Ford. I, along with the other officers of Co. H scouted the terrain, and placed 2nd Platoon on Picket Duty, with 1st Platoon as the Grand Guard. The pickets comprised of 4 outposts, each with 10 privates and an NCO. Small fires at the outposts were carefully concealed by brush screens. Each outpost supported three sentinel posts, rotating shifts of 3 in and out every two hours. The sentinels were posted along Cedar Creek, at the exact location where the 5th New York Heavy Artillery was picketing the morning of October 19, 1864. Once the pickets were posted, I returned to the Grand Guard to find men sitting around fires and a full moon rising. All of the men comprising of every element of the pickets were under arms from that point point forward. And so began the first 6 hour shift of picket duty. The Officers took turns making rounds every hour or so to the different posts. All was quiet for the first few hours and at midnight, 1st Platoon was roused from their slumber, ordered to fall in, and we set out to relieve 2nd Platoon. The process of relieving 2nd Platoon took close to 45 minutes, and by 1 AM, the balance of 2nd platoon was back at the Grand Guard around the fires, and 1st Platoon was now picketing the creek. As 2nd platoon settled in to try and catch some sleep, a night of constant activity began out on the line for 1st Platoon. A number of alarms occurred and more than one Sentinel challenged and fired at movement on the line. Much of this activity was chalked up to jittery pickets, but there was enough alarm for us to take note and send a courier to the rear. The Officers continued their rounds through the night as more reports of activity in the front continued. Outposts were instructed to remain on high alert and if struck by the enemy, to deploy a skirmish line and fall back towards the reserve. At 6:30 am, with a blush of light in the sky, it seemed as if the danger had passed, and I was just about to rouse 2nd Platoon, to go and relieve 1st Platoon, when I heard a number of quick scattered shots on the far left of our advanced sentinels, perhaps a 1/2 mile distant. The volume of firing increased and I quickly formed the Grand Guard and moved by the left flank towards the direction of the firing. The firing continued as we emerged from the woods into a large field before us where Outposts 1 and 2 had been located. The scene before me was quite a shock. A large number of mounted Rebels were firing on our pickets and threatening to overrun them. Both outposts had formed a skirmish line and were falling back towards the reserve as we emerged just in time to beat the Rebel horsemen back. I brought the platoon into line, and deployed as skirmishers on the center file and quickly established a strong line. A rapid firing commenced by our men and the enemy quickly retreated. The whole episode lasted less than 10 minutes.

With the danger over, we collected the remaining outposts in order to return back to camp and close out the event. The original men of the 5th NYHA, 2nd Battalion had quite a different experience on Oct 19, 1864. Following the mounted probe against their line, they were quickly overwhelmed by Kershaw's Division and all but 40 of their 380 men were captured by the Rebels. So we considered ourselves fortunate that we only had to march back to our camp, before returning back to the 21st Century and a big meal at Cracker Barrel. On our return march we stopped on the parcel of land that our Preservation Fundraiser was targeted at, and let everyone get a good look at the ground we had just raised $12,000 for the Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation to purchase the land and add to the protected property on that end of Cedar Creek Battlefield. After talking a bit about the land, the battle, and the experience of the 5th NYHA, muskets were again shouldered and we continued our tramp back to camp. I am eternally indebted to Private R. L. Topper for supplying me with a hunk of plug big enough to bait a bear trap, as it was just the thing I needed to get my tired, weary body back to camp! Camp was struck, and after a few parting words, I was back in the truck and shuttling guys back to the parking lot. Each trip required a number of hugs and handshakes and goodbyes and see you soon's. The end of events always remind me of all the good friends I've accumulated over the years and the camaraderie that is developed through all of the shared moments in the field.

Once all the guys were back to the lot, next began the big task of cleanup. Horses, equipment, trucks, trailers, wells, troughs, boxes, etc. all needed to be cleaned, organized, loaded up and ready to roll. The guys that are left after everyone else has let out deserve a lot of thanks. They're the first there, and the last to leave, and they don't quit until the work is done. You know who you are and you have my greatest appreciation and thanks for the effort you put in. Thanks as well of course to all the participants who cheerfully dispatched every duty, drills, marching, sleep deprivation, and so on. Everyone put great effort into their impressions and the result was noticeable! The Officers and NCOs performed admirably and made my job so much easier. And lastly, thanks to our host the Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation who were such great partners, their staff is second to none, and the work they do is so vital and important.

My idea behind this event was to clearly offer an authentic option in October, amidst a number of different options that were occurring in the same month. I feel that we accomplished that with this event and checked off every box that we had hoped to. We put on an authentic event on the original ground, raised a large amount of money for preservation, recreated to the proper scale a Company of the 5th NYHA and their experience at Cedar Creek, offered interpretive programming to the public, while giving immersive experiences to our participants.

IMG_3736.JPGIMG_3735.JPG

Michael Clarke
      Michael Clarke
      Liberty Rifles
      True Blues
      Black Hats

Comment

It was a great event. Some events don’t deliver; this one did. Great job!
        Ivan Ingraham
        AC Moderator

Comment

Working...
        X