Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missionary Ridge - 64th OVI

Good evening folk's,

The ball is really rolling on Missionary Ridge and it has generated a lot of interest among the hobby. As a native Ohioan, portraying the 64th at Missionary Ridge is a check on the bucket list for me because Co. A 64th OVI was my first unit when I started many years ago. I am proud to be serving all of you who decide to wear blue and proud to be portraying Col. Alexander McIlvaine. Sadly I will not be able to have an epic beard like him. However, I am certain that each of us will make the buckeye state proud.

We are now just under two years out. (Heck, we have already been planning this almost a year.) I know that seems like a long but the date can really sneak up on you. The point I am trying to get at is that everyone blue or grey needs to prepare physically for this. This will benefit you for more than just MR and the hobby, but for having and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Get out there and start walking, work on increasing to a jog so you can double quick a whole mile which is a 12-13 min. mile. Not tough when most can cover a mile in 18-20 min. at a brisk walk. Bottom line is everyone is capable of doing it, just practice and you will be pleasantly surprised with your results.

We have also already assembled a top notch group of battalion staff and company officers. Please utilize your chain of command, they are serving in these positions for a reason. Their duties are not just limited to the event itself. For the federals and I think I can speak for Walter Cook and the CS battalion as well, when I say that you will receive all of the necessary information for you to function as a soldier for this event. Trust us!

The folks who will be serving all of you are as follows.

Colonel Tyler Underwood
    Lt. Colonel John Wickett
    Major William DeBoard
    Adjutant Bridger Zadina
    Sgt. Major William Eichler
    Commissary Sgt. Jordan Ricketts
    Bugler William Beard

Company A Johnny Lloyd
    Company B Brian Jankowski
    Company C Silas Tackitt Color Company
    Company D Sam Gaylon
    Company E Matt Bohnert
    Company F Scott Sheets
    Company G Mark Hidelbaugh
    Company H Alan Eney
    Company I 24th Missouri
    Company K Ryan Alcaino
    As has been posted on Facebook we are asking that companies have between 30 and 35 and we realize this averages out to be greater than what the 64th had with 10 companies. The reason for this is ultimately due to attrition rates when life cuts into hobby time. With that said, if you are on the fence about raising a company but can only get 20 - 25 guys you will be fine.

Thank you all for your enthusiasm thus far.

Very Respectfully
    Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 05-26-2018, 09:08 AM.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Re: Missionary Ridge - 64th OVI

While not as organized atm as my US opposition the 4th Florida is becoming a reality.

Walter Cook
    Liberty Guards Mess

Comment

Mr. Mark Hidelbaugh will be raising Company G.
      Tyler Underwood
      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
      Governor Guards, WIG

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Alan Eney will be raising Company H.
        Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

24th Missouri will be raising Company I.
          Thank you for your support gents!
          Tyler Underwood
          Pawleys Island #409 AFM
          Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

We have at last reached ten companies.
            Ryan Alcaino will have Co. K.
            Tyler Underwood
            Pawleys Island #409 AFM
            Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

Good afternoon Authentic Campaigners,

I am sure that many of you saw on Facebook about Missionary Ridge registration opening soon. I know that many of you are chomping at the bit to get signed up and get in the field. I can say that I am really looking forward to it as well, but more so in the fact that I along with the rest of the event staff look forward to creating a memorable time for you all. We also want to be able to provide the reenacting community with a quality event to end the 2019 season.

You may be asking what can I do for the next 16 months to prepare for Missionary Ridge? As it turns out there are three things that you can do that can greatly impact your experience at all events, but can positively impact your life and overall well-being.

1. Physical capabilities: America is the most obese nation in the world. I totally understand that there are some folks who, for medical reasons are overweight. But the sad reality is, a lot comes from laziness and poor dieting. For authentic living historians we portray a time when being overweight was a rare thing. These men we portray were not over weight and for the most part had decent physical endurance, meaning that were able to walk longer than an hour without with being out of breath or utterly exhausted.

A person’s physical capability is quite possibly the most overlooked and cheapest improvement a person can make with their impression. It just requires a little dedication and effort. For Missionary Ridge we will not be doing any lengthy marches, but we will be VERY active. You will have ample down time to rest and relax, but you will earn every minute of it by performing various soldierly duties. It won’t be anything crazy, but it will test your endurance. You can also count on moving at the double-quick. This is a pace of about 5 MPH, everyone should be able to move at the double-quick for more than 100 yards.

I encourage each of you to get out and practice walking/marching in full marching order. Practice with more weight than you normally carry and when you do it at the event it will be a regular walk in the park. Practice moving at the double-quick. Start out gradually doing and work up to being able to cover a distance of one mile every 12 minutes. Then practice in your kit. Strive to shed a few pounds and get down to your fighting weight. There might be an extra incentive in for you. ;)

2. Educate yourself: Don’t be that guy that thinks they know it all. Read up on your manuals for a refresher. I always manage to take something away every time I read manuals. Study the intricate details of the manual of arms, stacking, firing etc.

Study up on and practice your field craft. Things such as building shelter, starting a fire in wet or dry conditions, being able to identify of wood is green or dry. Learn how to properly use an axe. Yes, there is a right and wrong way. The wrong way will work you into the ground. Read up on accounts of what the original cast did to stay dry, stay warm, etc.

Catch up on pop culture of the period. I HIGHLY recommend An Encyclopedia of 1850’s America as a soldier in the Civil War, you would have some sort of knowledge of almost every topic in the book.

There are far too many great resources out there these days to not improve your knowledge of the period. Readily available at the stroke of a few keys the Civil War Digital Digest. Here on the AC we have hundreds, upon hundreds of posts relating to many of the subjects just mentioned and hundreds more. The National Achieves and Library of Congress websites have loads of info along with some state archives. For $7 per month you can get a Fold 3 account. Silas’s Reenacting Links is another incredible website that has tons of compiled resources all in one location. Books on tape/pod casts etc. Some are great sources. Put your earbuds in and go for a walk or jog. You get to break a mental sweat while preparing physically!!! Bottom line is that the information is readily available, it is up to you do determine if you use it.

3. Lastly attitude. It is getting better, but I still see way to many people come out to events who want to look like a soldier but have zero interest in actually portraying one. If this is you, chances are you might want to rethink your choice of hobby. The whole reason for doing immersive events it to walk, talk, act, eat, sleep and yes, sometimes be miserable just like the boys of 61. If you just want to see yourself in photos or on film, I can think if a casting agency that is always looking for new talent.

Prior to showing up to the event you need to change your entire opinion of comfort and come to terms with the fact that it is relative. Once you clear that first hurdle, then you are well on our way to miserable fun. Prepare yourself mentally that for the next 48 hours or so, you are a soldier in the Union or Confederate Army and act accordingly.

The mental aspect can be one of the toughest things to overcome at events. Especially when it is less than desirable conditions. This is where comradery comes into play. If you see your mess mate down, you bring him back into it, take the focus away from the bad. YOU MUST BE ABLE TO RELY ON AND TAKE CARE OF EACH OTHER. Forget that “Army of One” crap you hear on TV. Unit cohesion is what makes them successful.

FOR MORE ABOUT THE EVENT JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP BY CLICKING HERE
              Last edited by Eric Tipton; 07-29-2018, 04:12 PM. Reason: Formatting
              Tyler Underwood
              Pawleys Island #409 AFM
              Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

Folks, I recently discovered on one forum where someone stated that the 64th Ohio will be will move at the double-quick for a mile.
                This is 100% false. If you FULLY read the text above you will see that no where do I state that we will be moving for a mile at that pace.
                Let's shut down the rumor mill, pass along the correct info and carry on.
                Tyler Underwood
                Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

And Colonel, if we move on the double quick...I will fix the blisters...and our troops will be where they are needed to be!....and there will be no “Hypothermia” in our ranks !
                  Last edited by Dale Beasley; 08-18-2018, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Underwood View Post
                    Folks, I recently discovered on one forum where someone stated that the 64th Ohio will be will move at the double-quick for a mile.
                    This is 100% false. If you FULLY read the text above you will see that no where do I state that we will be moving for a mile at that pace.
                    Let's shut down the rumor mill, pass along the correct info and carry on.
                    Tyler we all assumed it was a 4th Florida recruiting ploy 😉
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Gotta watch out for them sneaky rebs Doug.
                      Tyler Underwood
                      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                      Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

I am totally blown away by the number of folks who have already registered for this event. Even more mind blowing is the fact that the 64th has filled three companies in a weeks time!

Bravo Zulu!!!
                        Tyler Underwood
                        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                        Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

Working...
                        X