Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missionary Ridge - 64th Ohio First Person Packet

Good Morning!

Missionary Ridge will be an immersive event. We expect everyone to be in the mindset of the soldiers they are representing for the weekend. Not only will this enhance your experience, it will allow you to appreciate the men you are portraying.

For the 64th Ohio, we received the Silas Mallory diaries from Austin Rice. Silas enlisted with the 64th Ohio at Camp Buckingham. Mansfield, Ohio. From his diary: "At the age of 17, on the 17th day of October, in the year 1861, I enlisted for the wars, or for three years, unless sooner discharged. under recruiting officer Lt E.B. Finley, an obscure officer of my native place." Silas provides an excellent account of everyday life as a soldier in the 64th Ohio. We have included the period from his enlistment up through the days just prior to the time period we are portraying.

Captains, please share this link to everyone in your companies, or if you are a participant, download and share with your comrades. Let's make sure everyone portraying the 64th Ohio has the opportunity to read this and please do your best as an individual and a unit to prepare.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE 64TH OHIO FIRST PERSON PACKET

If you really want to get ambitious, there is the comprehensive "Story of the Sherman Brigade", written in 1897 by Lieutenant Colonel Wilbur Hinman. The Sherman Brigade was home for the 64th (and 65th) Ohio. It's origins are based with Senator John Sherman, brother of William Tecumseh Sherman. During the early autumn days of 1861, the Senator obtained the authority to raise two regiments of infantry, a battery of artillery and a squadron of cavalry. Thus, the 64th Ohio was born.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE STORY OF THE SHERMAN BRIGADE
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 09-22-2019, 10:55 AM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Missionary Ridge - 64th Ohio First Person Packet

Originally posted by Eric Tipton View Post

Good Morning!

Missionary Ridge will be an immersive event. We expect everyone to be in the mindset of the soldiers they are representing for the weekend. Not only will this enhance your experience, it will allow you to appreciate the men you are portraying.

For the 64th Ohio, we received the Silas Mallory diaries from Austin Rice. Silas enlisted with the 64th Ohio at Camp Buckingham. Mansfield, Ohio. From his diary: "At the age of 17, on the 17th day of October, in the year 1861, I enlisted for the wars, or for three years, unless sooner discharged. under recruiting officer Lt E.B. Finley, an obscure officer of my native place." Silas provides an excellent account of everyday life as a soldier in the 64th Ohio. We have included the period from his enlistment up through the days just prior to the time period we are portraying.

Captains, please share this link to everyone in your companies, or if you are a participant, download and share with your comrades. Let's make sure everyone portraying the 64th Ohio has the opportunity to read this and please do your best as an individual and a unit to prepare.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE 64TH OHIO FIRST PERSON PACKET

If you really want to get ambitious, there is the comprehensive "Story of the Sherman Brigade", written in 1897 by Lieutenant Colonel Wilbur Hinman. The Sherman Brigade was home for the 64th (and 65th) Ohio. It's origins are based with Senator John Sherman, brother of William Tecumseh Sherman. During the early autumn days of 1861, the Senator obtained the authority to raise two regiments of infantry, a battery of artillery and a squadron of cavalry. Thus, the 64th Ohio was born.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE STORY OF THE SHERMAN BRIGADE
    Hmmm, my mother's great uncles, the Poland brothers, were from this county of Ohio. I've got about 6 weeks to step up my game, starting with reading the few letters they send home to my great grandmother, Hannah Jane Poland. Thanks for the inspiration ...
    Paul Hadley

Comment

Working...
    X