Missionary Ridge - After Action Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missionary Ridge - After Action Report

Beginning with a casual conversation at Fort Blakely in 2017 and after two years of planning and preparations, Missionary Ridge has come and gone. The positive feedback I have been able to hear or read made everything worth it. As one of the organizers I obviously have a biased opinion, but do recognize that there were flaws and things on my end that I should have done differently to create a better experience for all. I take this as a learning experience to improve future endeavors.

To all of the participants, I would like to extend to you a heartfelt thanks. Without YOU, this wouldn’t have been possible. Each of you pushed yourselves to endure the cold, fatigue and boredom of military life at the front. I sincerely hope that each of you were able to experience a period moment no matter how brief it may have been.

To my company commanders, each of you performed well beyond my expectations! You kept your men on task, met timelines, and most importantly kept them motivated to keep them going. Thank you for trusting me serve as battalion commander!

For my staff, I must thank you all for keeping me on track. With a million and one things on my mind it was at times difficult to focus on the military side of things. John and Will, the two of you were fantastic wing commanders and ensured that while on picket or in reserve, the men were taken care of and got the much their needed rest. To Will Eichler and Jim Butler, the two of you were instrumental in making sure the needs of the rank and file were met to the best of your abilities despite the conditions. Jordan Huck and Andy, the three of you worked your tails off to get the rations out to the men as quickly as possible despite the cold and lack of sunlight. You also spent countless hours prepping food for battalion staff to ensure that we didn’t have to go hungry and could focus on our other duties.

Jeff Grzelak, thank you for procuring the hard crackers for the 64th and your generous donation of the cracker boxes. The salvageable boxes I know will go on to be used at future events. Those that did not survive, were utilized to help keep folks warm while on picket. This certainly added to the realism of the scenario.

To the musicians, you fellers are top notch! Thank you for your contribution to the morale of the men. Charlie Ford, I see that the real Army still runs through your veins. I was blown away Saturday morning when you sat straight up and played the long roll.

For those who are unaware, the cost associated with bringing guns, wagons, and horses to events can reach well into the thousands. To the First Section and the Washington Artillery thank you for all you did to help bring this event to life. Mike Jones, thank you for the use of your wagon and Mark Cox for the use of your mules and driving. It certainly added to the ambiance of the event and provided the men of the 64th a means to transport its much needed mess equipment, tools and firewood.

I think as a battalion commander you sometimes miss out on a lot of the little details that make an event special. This time I was blessed to have many period moments that I will not soon forget. One event in particular that stands out was Saturday morning when I was privileged to witness someone getting tattooed while in camp. The first person was also the best I had experienced since the last Westville!

Lastly I would like to leave you all with some eyewitness accounts and quotes for you to think about and put into comparison with your experiences.

Saturday, November 21st, 1863

“Raining. Ordered to be ready for brigade inspection at 10 A.M. next day, Sunday. Dress parade at 5 P.M.” - History of the Seventy-Ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry

Sunday, November 22nd, 1863

“…Two days ration of bacon and three-fourths days ration of coffee, sugar and crackers issued per man. - History of the Seventy-Ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry

Monday, November 23rd, 1863

“At noon on the 23rd, again received the same orders. Fell into line on the regimental ground. Was ordered to take nothing with us but our accoutrements, with 40 rounds of cartridges, the usual number. The division moved up toward the pickets when it was halted, drawn up in line of battle and began to advance.” - Malory, Silas. Co. K 64th OVI

“…It was very cold and windy.” - History of the Seventy-Ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry

Tuesday, November 24th, 1863

“The day opened warm and pleasant, but still the morning air was cold and chilly. But when the sun uncovered his face and his warm rays were profusely shed over earth, things looked more pleasant. The day was memorable for the Federal Arms. There was no fighting from left to center. All was quiet along the whole line immediately in front of Chattanooga.” - Malory, Silas. Co. K 64th OVI

“At 9 P.M. bivouacked. Too cold to sleep much.” - History of the Seventy-Ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry

“November 24, the regiment stood under arms from before daylight until after sun up, when a small detail from each company was sent to the rear to make coffee and bring it to the front. This was one of the many foggy mornings about Chattanooga.” - Lt. Col. Robert C. Brown 64th OVI

Wednesday, November 25th 1863

“At exactly 3:40 P.M., the roar of Bridges sounded in quick succession. Before the signal guns fired, his (Lt. Shellenberger Co. F 64th OVI) men had been quiet, noted an Ohio Captain. Now there was gathering commotion among the soldiers. Bugles sounded, and the men sprang to their feet amid the rustle of dried leaves and the snapping of twigs.” - Sword, Wiley, Mountains Touched with Fire: Chattanooga Besieged, 1863

“When he (Col. McIlvain) reached Lt. Shellenberger, the colonel said, “Lieutenant, you must take your company and go back to the breastworks. Shellenberger was shocked. The order was such a blunder that he dared argue with the colonel. The rebels are overshooting their line, said Shellenberger, and the heads of the enemy soldiers outlined against the sky made them a clear target. We should remain here, said the exasperated lieutenant.” - Sword, Wiley, Mountains Touched with Fire: Chattanooga Besieged, 1863

“Our men advanced rapidly until they reached the foot of Mission Ridge. They literally rained the canister down upon them. It seemed as though they were throwing down buckets full, they came so thick. The men, being so exauhsted with running before, that they were unable to hold their present position…While the men were resting, our Regiment Colonel, Colonel McIlvain, came walking along the regiment, stroking his beard complacently as though he were somewhere else and remarking to the boys that, that was one hell of a charge…The order soon came for them to try their courage. Started at the double-quick, charge bayonets and well did they do it, never wavering once until the column had reached the top.” - Malory, Silas. Co. K 64th OVI

“…a ragged wall of frantic gray-clad troops scurried in front of an uneven, surging sea of blue-clad soldiers shouting a vengeful battle cry over and over: Chickamauga, Chickamauga, Chickamauga!” - Cottrell, Steve, Civil War in Tennessee.

Report of Colonel Alexander McIlvain, Sixty-Fourth Ohio Infantry

Headquarters Sixty-fourth Ohio Infantry, Chattanooga, Tennessee November 26th 1863

Sir: I have the honor to report the actions of November 23 -24. The regiment received orders the afternoon of the 23rd to draw forty rounds of ammunition per man and move forward to support a general advance on Orchard Knob to the north west of Mission Ridge. The regiment moved by the left flank down a road in that general direction until reaching a clearing where we dropped knapsacks and prepared for action. The regiment then moved through some woods to link up with a road that ran parallel to Mission Ridge. After moving some distance, perhaps one eighth of a mile, turned back north and formed column closed en mass and awaited further instruction.

About 4 o’clock P.M. our batteries from Fort Wood to our front and left began firing at the enemy which at this point was not visible in our position. After a few minutes I ordered Company F forward as skirmishers, to which they deployed in excellent fashion. Approximately ten minutes later, after not having heard the report of enemy batteries or significant small arms fire, save a few enemy skirmishers. I advanced the regiment to a point just beyond the clearing and deployed the column to the left.

With our left flank too near Fort Wood I re positioned my right guide to a slight knoll and dressed the battalion. About this time enemy infantry in line of battle could be seen at approximately one half mile’s distance coming over Orchard Knob. Seeing a potential threat to company F, I advanced the regiment about 200 yards and fired a single volley in support. The effects of our fire caused the enemy to withdraw from the field to our right and up Mission Ridge. I then recalled Co. F. and moved the regiment by the right flank back to the point that from which we came so be screened by a thick grove of cedars. During this time we came under fire from a masked enemy battery atop the ridge that caused nothing more than a slight panic among the ranks.

At approximately 4:45 Lt. Col. Brown retired the regiment to the point in which we dropped our baggage and prepared camp. During this time Maj. Coulter, Lt. Shellenberger and myself established a position to redeploy his company as pickets fronting Mission Ridge about one eighth of a mile from the crest.

With rations having arrived, the commissary dispensed the rations to the regiment. About 6 o’clock firing began along the picket line. Major Coulter, myself and one company advanced to the line to discover that our pickets had been driven in and five men were missing from company F. The advance of our company must have frightened off any enemy within our lines because they quickly retired to their rifle pits about one hundred yards from our line. Approximately 30 minutes later Lt. Col. Brown took the right wing to a reserve position to the right of Fort Wood and established a picket line to allow company F to retire and retrieve their knapsacks, eat and rest and locate the five missing men.

November 24, about 6 o’clock A.M. a sharp fire began along our line and I ordered the long roll and quickly formed the right wing to march to the aid of the left. We moved to the far right of our line and formed the entire regiment with the exception of one company who remained on picket. Here we remained in line of battle for about 30 minutes before retiring.

During the day of the 24th the regiment established fine rifle pits along the front of Mission Ridge with little firing occurring to our front. I suspect both sides were fixed on the actions across the valley atop Lookout Mountain. About 4 o’clock I formed the battalion on the plains fronting the ridge and in full view of the enemy performed dress parade according to regulations. Little firing was heard throughout the rest of the evening.

November 25th with the expectations that the regiment would be moving back to our previous position about one and one half mile to the rear, I ordered the camp struck and a regimental wagon to take our tools and equipment to the rear. At 7:30 o’clock a courier from General Sheridan arrived with orders that the combined efforts of Sheridan and Wood’s Divisions would attack and capture the enemy rifle pits to our front. I quickly briefed my officers of this change and we thus prepared for action.

We moved the regiment again to our far right. Our position was to be the center of the division with the third Kentucky to our left and the sixty-fifth to our right. Once our lines were dressed I ordered the regiment to lie down and leave the general guides and colors standing to allow for the aforementioned regiments to dress on our flanks.

At 8:45 o’clock the signal was fired from Fort Wood. My principal musician sounded forward and the men sprang to their feet and moved forward. We were almost instantly greeted by a hail of lead and artillery fire from the rifle pits and the top of the ridge. I then ordered the regiment forward at the double-quick and quickly took the enemy rifle pits. After achieving our objective I realized that we were now in a most dangerous situation. Unable to withdraw and had no orders to continue our men went to ground and returned fire in earnest. After almost fifteen minutes I seen Colonel Harker to our left waving his sword and urging the brigade forward. Instantly I ordered a cease fire, fixed bayonets and ordered my men forward at the double-quick.

Upon reaching the crest the many of the enemy had been killed or captured with a small number reforming to the rear in their defense. Company A quickly reformed and hastened to silence a battery of enemy artillery. It was also at this time I realized that we had overran General Bragg’s headquarters. But much to my chagrin, the general and his staff had taken flight and left his army to slaughter.

During this engagement the sixty-fourth captured three guns of the 5th Company Washington Artillery and over one hundred prisoners from the 4th Florida. My command lost in the advance upon Mission Ridge 1 Captain and 1 private killed and 6 officers and 25 men wounded. It is my opinion that the success in carrying the enemy position on Mission Ridge is due to their extraordinary display of courage and valor of the officers and men of this command. Their heroism has once again added luster upon the flag and will serve with honor the name of the sixty-fourth.

Alexander McIlvain, (Tyler Underwood)
    Colonel, Commanding
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 11-29-2019, 11:00 PM. Reason: Formatting, Add Graphic
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.
Working...
X