X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non battle reenactment

hello guys

I live in north Lousiana and nothing happened up here. I really want to get a reenactment up here for those guys who dont do much. I live in a region with nothing but woods and pastures. I have people who ae backing me up on this i just need some information and sugestions. should it be for everyone should i have one at all should i even do it at all. it was a idea i had. I was woundering does anyone have any sugestions about what i need to do who i need to talk to or when i need to do it.

email me or post here

civilwarfreak013@aol.com

P.S. if i am on aim im me.

thanks
    ben jenkins
    19th la infantry
    Last edited by ; 01-29-2004, 01:15 PM. Reason: change heading

Re: Non battle reenactment

Call Don Smith at the Mansfield State Historic site - there is a detailed park living history program with events every month. A good place to start. Mansfield # is: 318-872-1474
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Sir,

I have sat on my units event panel for the past six years. We run the Brickhouse Reenactment in South eastern NY. My biggest suggestion to you is decide first if you want to have spectators or not...This will greatly influence the site on which you choose to have your event. With spectators insurace is the biggest problem that event coordinators run into. My unit was lucky in pairing up with a county run site in that all of the insurance matters fall on them. Even though you plan on having a non battle reenactment there are still many ways that a spectator could get hurt.

Other than that all I can tell you is to get a vision and go with it. Hope this helps

Respectfully,
      Ryan McIntyre
      124th New York State Volunteers
      Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
      Joseph H. Johnston
      March 16th 1863
      Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
      Henry M Howell
      March 8 1863
      In camp Near Falmouth

Comment

I am sorry the way i said it was wrong what i mean by no battle reenactment is that i want to have one e en though one did not take place. I have not decide if i want spectators most likely not unless we are showing it to kids or students.

ben jenkins
        19th La Infantry

Comment

Ben,

Actually, there was quite a bit of military activity in northern Louisiana during the War. The Red River Campaign of 1864 is the most prominent example, but there were other actions, also. You may wish to read "Portraits of Conflict: A Photographic History of Louisiana in the Civil War", by Roberts and Moneyhan. It's a pretty good starting point for actions throughout the War in the state as a whole. There are several excellent books on Red River. I recommend Gary Joiner's "One Damn Blunder from Beginning to End", and also "Dark and Bloody Ground: The Battle of Mansfield and the Forgotten Civil War in Louisiana" by Thomas Ayres. A super first-person account is "The Civil War Reminiscences of Major Silas T. Grisamore, C.S.A.", edited by Arther Bergeron. Grisamore served as regimental quartermaster for the 18th LA Inf., and his memoirs are a delight to read. He wrote at length regarding his unit's campaigns in northern LA.
          Any of these four works can be purchased on Amazon.com fairly inexpensively.

Where in Louisiana do you live? Just curious...I grew up in Shreveport.

Hope to see you at Mansfield in April.

Respectfully,
          Chad Teasley
          CHAPs
          Chad Teasley

"Mississippians don't know, and refuse to learn, how to surrender to an enemy."
          Lt Col James Autry, CSA, May 1862

Comment

I live in shongaloo about An hour and a Half above shreveport.

I am aware of the campaign and stuff but battle wise nothing. I am wanting to have a Reenacment with a battle.

Ben jenkins
            19th La Infantry

Comment

Deleted - doesn't add to the thread in any way.
              1. Be Nice - We don't expect this place to be Woodstock, but make an effort to show respect and courtesy to every poster.
              Last edited by dusty27; 02-03-2004, 04:37 PM.
              Steve Shepherd
              Veritas numquam perit

Comment

Ben...your scaring me
                [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
                [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
                [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
                [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

If I am correct, Ben is about a 16 year old kid with a lot of enthusiasm who once caught a lot of flak on this forum for trying to sell some items he had made that were, shall we say, not quite up to par standards wise. He was also always trying to buy stuff for really cheap prices. If you are not the same person, I think the following is still appropriate.

Ben, you obviously have a passion for the subject and have a lot of excitement and enthusiasm about being in the hobby. You are to be commended for that. However, I would advise you to find a local mess or go to some more authentic events and let the fellows there steer you in the right direction. I guarantee you that you will find many fine gents who will be more than happy to help you.

You need to get the basics down and understand what the authentic side of reenacting is all about before you go out and try to organize an event yourself. You'll learn a lot from research and asking questions on this forum. You've got a lot of reenacting ahead of you. Take your time, do yourself a favor, and start out right. It will save you a lot of headaches and frustration down the road. If you decide to skip the "tutorial" stage and you still want to throw an event together of the type I believe you are thinking about this might not be the forum to be posting it.
                  Michael Comer
                  one of the moderator guys

Comment

Alright guys. I am better done research and i am not the same kid i was last year. i am doing alot or reaserch into this. i figure it will be a year or so until it will be a phisical thing.I have been talking with many of people and this is going to become a reality. I have the help of a few others backing me. I do apprecate the help i am gaing along with information. You guys do have to understand that i am moving up. I am not that mainstream guy i was a year or so ago. All i can say is thanks and i hope that when this is a real and upbringing thing that yall will be able to attened and hear about.

thanks
                    ben jenkins
                    19th la infantry

Comment

I have been talking with many of people and this is going to be a reality. I have the help of a few others backing me up.
                      Ben,

Who are these people and what are their ages? I don't know anyone responsible who would back up a 16 year old with no experience. Maybe your parents?

At any rate, you need to have more Living history/reenacting experience and clout to hold an authentic event. Your question is too broad and choppy for anyone to give you a serious answer. Sounds like you're leaning more towards a mainstream type of event anyways after reading and re-reading your post. :D

Every teen re-enactor fantasizes about holding their own event at some point or another. When I was your age, I used to eat, sleep and Sh*t civil war.....I couldn't get enough of it. ;) I wanted to hold my own events with different groups around my area too. But realistically, could I have done it successfully at 16? No, not at all. Would I have PERMISSION to hold an event at that age? Yeah right, in my dreams.........

Perhaps you just have the "winter blues" right now, and you're anxious to get out on the field to have some fun.

If this is a huge dream of yours, just give it some time and pick up some more experience and maybe some day it will become a reality.

Good luck Ben,

Aaron
                      Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 02-03-2004, 02:32 PM.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                      Cincinnati

Comment

Ok Ok,

I am not gona go off and start sputing off names. I dont have the right to say that people are helping me. i have had some people say that if i did the research and gave it time they would help me. I understand 100% that yall guys just dont want some punk kid coming in and acting like he rules the world and knows everything. i dont and i am not gona say i do. Now on the otherhand i am one now who is doing the reaserch and trying myhardest. i am real intune with this whole thing. all i ask if for instead of people to push me back and say u cant do this to say ok . I know it will take time and iam completly ok with that, thanks to all.

Pvt. Ben Jenkins
                        19Th La infantry

Comment

Hey Ben,

You made 3 posts today, all before 2:00pm........ Didn't you go to school today? Home sick? Playing hookie? Just curious

Truant Officer Mess
                          Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 02-03-2004, 03:55 PM.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                          Cincinnati

Comment

Ben,

I am going to have to agree with my esteemed colleague Mr. Schweiterman.

You seem to be really excited about the possibility of hosting your own event and I can't fault you for that. Bully for you! If you can deal with all the factors involved - go for it! I wish you the best.

One bit of advice: I would start a different. Rather than laying out your plan and soliciting help/advice from an internet forum (where people can shoot holes in your plans and you don't have full control over the discussion), why not attend some "quality" events that mirror what you are looking to accomplish. Talk to the coordinators/organizers to see what is involved and what you are looking at. I'm sure they will be willing to give you some tips!

Plan accordingly, take your time and be patient. It will all come together. Heck I will be hosting my first gig this summer after doing this crazy hobby for over a decade now. So, good luck kid!

Sinc.,
                            Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
                            – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Ben,
                              If you are determined, and I mean dead set on the idea of organizing an event, then I think it would be wise for you to listen to what Michael, Aaron and Ryan are trying to tell you. As in anything, it is important that one has a clear understanding or perspective on what they would like to achieve, vs. what they are able achieve. That is what is meant by “do the research.” What are you able to achieve with your current level of experience, and what resources do you have to do it with? Maybe you should consider starting out with a small event (at the mess level) and devote the next six months to a year working on that, saving the big battle scenarios for later after you have gained some years of knowledge and experience. Any weekend event is preceded by months or even years of planning, logistics, networking, coordinations, research and hard work. Anyway, I commend you on your motivation and enthusiasm, just double-check yourself to make sure it’s directed towards achievable goals, otherwise it’s wasted. Good Luck.
                              [B][FONT=Georgia]Eric P. Emde[/FONT][/B]
                              [URL="http://www.2ndmaryland.org"]www.2ndmaryland.org[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X