Knit(?) cuff jacket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knit(?) cuff jacket.

EVERY image this dealer posts that looks the least bit ''civil war'' comes with a North Carolina tag . I questioned them about an image listed earlier and they were mean-as-hell about it. ( It was the image from about a month ago of the young fellow in the US 4 button and well worn US greatcoat, said I was a know-nothing. Nobody calls me that but my professors!)

I say this is a great Western shot. POST WAR
    Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 02-01-2004, 10:44 AM.
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Re: Knit(?) cuff jacket.

Some of his other items look interesting too. There are a whole lot of images coming out of NC lately. Wonder what's up with that?
    Fred Grogan
    Sykes' Regulars

Comment

Originally posted by va-yank
      Some of his other items look interesting too. There are a whole lot of images coming out of NC lately. Wonder what's up with that?
      I have seen more than one ''seller'' with a vivid imagination.

Does look like a boat-necked sweater under a button-up sweater.
      Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 01-31-2004, 11:02 PM.
      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Pardon my asking but, when you say "Western" do you mean as in Western Theater of Operations, or do you mean somewhere between the Missisippi and the Pacific? I can't see anything on this feller that even looks Military, let alone from N.C.
        Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
        Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
        Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
        Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
        Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Originally posted by tomarch
          Pardon my asking but, when you say "Western" do you mean as in Western Theater of Operations, or do you mean somewhere between the Missisippi and the Pacific? I can't see anything on this feller that even looks Military, let alone from N.C.
          Yeah, between the Missisippi and the Pacific. Or even the Rockies and the Pacific. Out your way.

(Sorry, anything five miles from the Atlantic coast is the west to me.)
          Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 02-01-2004, 01:03 AM.
          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Looks like a cool 1860s-1880s civy pict to me.
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

personally I would guess this photo to be around the late 1880s. Look at his boots. Unless it is a trick of the glass his boots are made with seperate lowers, that started to more become common during the 1880s.

Comment

Doubt the knit goods

Gentlemen:

I"m not seeing anything that I can say with confidence is knitted in this picture. To my eye, the guy has a shirt with a regular collar on, and over that he's put a jacket of some sort, with a stand up collar (don't know the right term for this -- the type of collar you have on a military coat) over it. The coat is odd in that it has those cuffs on it, but you could certainly make cuffs like that with material.

I'm not seeing a clear pattern of stitches, either vertically or horizonally, nor does the fabric of either garment clearly drape in the same way that knitted good do -- in the "sweater thread" you could see on the images with button up garments that the garment was clearly stretched where the buttons were. In between the buttons, it sort of gapped a bit.

In a well-made knitted garment, one that was made for the wearer, and which hasn't been shrunk, you could certainly see a nice ease through the placket without the gaps in other garments. But I'd still expect to see more of a vertical or horizontal stripe of the stitches themselves.

This is just my opinion, based on what I can see of this image,
                Karin Timour
                Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

Re: Doubt the knit goods

Originally posted by KarinTimour
                  Gentlemen:

I"m not seeing anything that I can say with confidence is knitted in this picture. To my eye, the guy has a shirt with a regular collar on, and over that he's put a jacket of some sort, with a stand up collar (don't know the right term for this -- the type of collar you have on a military coat) over it. The coat is odd in that it has those cuffs on it, but you could certainly make cuffs like that with material.

I'm not seeing a clear pattern of stitches, either vertically or horizonally, nor does the fabric of either garment clearly drape in the same way that knitted good do -- in the "sweater thread" you could see on the images with button up garments that the garment was clearly stretched where the buttons were. In between the buttons, it sort of gapped a bit.

In a well-made knitted garment, one that was made for the wearer, and which hasn't been shrunk, you could certainly see a nice ease through the placket without the gaps in other garments. But I'd still expect to see more of a vertical or horizontal stripe of the stitches themselves.

This is just my opinion, based on what I can see of this image,
                  Karin Timour
                  Your valuable opinion is exactly what I needed.

Thank You.
                  Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 02-01-2004, 08:51 PM.
                  B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

You're very welcome -- thanks for sharing the picture. I don't shop for CDVs, and so I would have missed seeing them if you and others didn't bring them here and post them.

It's a real thrill for me to see anything knitted (or even alleged to be knitted), and I'm happy to get a chance to see them.

Sincerely,
                    Karin Timour

Comment

Working...
                    X