Wendell Decker At Lookout Mtn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wendell Decker At Lookout Mtn.

This is from Wendell Decker, he asked that word of his being available for units at Lookout Mtn. be spread amongst the hobby:
    I am doing some work at Lookout Mt. They have many small Living History events there. I am the first wet-plate photographer they had ever had on the point since the 1880''s I started going there since 1999. I was talking the the rangers about letting me inform OTHER reenactors (via the AC) of the dates I would be there. There is only ONE way to ever get your image struck, on the top of that mountain. That's if I'm there. It also adds more reenactors to the park. (Interesting note ) NO CONFEDERATE IMAGES WERE EVER TAKEN ON LOOKOUT MT. UNLESS "I" TOOK THEM.

So I need to get the word out on here. If there are those who would be interested in having there unit and individual images struck on the tip of Lookout Mt., they would need to contact me. ambro92@yahoo.com

Got interviewed by News Week, this last weekend, down there. They want me to come to France. I told them if they could arrange it, I would. Also told them that they probibly wouldn't allow my chemicals on the plane. LOL

Spread the word around, if you will and see if there might be some interest.

Glad my work brings you joy.

Take care of the day

Wendell
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Re: Wendell Decker At Lookout Mtn.

Wendell has taken many awesome shots of my unit up there.Its not every day you can get your image taken on the point of lookout mtn.
    Brian Maddox
    37th Tn Co H

Comment

Mr. Decker,

You note: "I am the first wet-plate photographer they had ever had on the point since the 1880''s I started going there since 1999. I was talking the the rangers about letting me inform OTHER reenactors (via the AC) of the dates I would be there. There is only ONE way to ever get your image struck, on the top of that mountain. That's if I'm there. It also adds more reenactors to the park. (Interesting note ) NO CONFEDERATE IMAGES WERE EVER TAKEN ON LOOKOUT MT. UNLESS "I" TOOK THEM."

It's very exciting that you are continuing your excellent work and especially at this venue. However, you may want to qualify your statement to say something to the effect that you were the first since the late 19th century to be regularly available for wet plate services, etc etc at the park.

I know of at least one other artist (Chris) who took photos both of blue and grey living historians on the point at Lookout a few years ago. At the time it was noted that there were a lot of special permissions needed for us to be able to do this, so I hope that guys take advantage of what you're offering.

Best of luck in this continuing project.
      Paul Hadley
      College View Lodge 320, AF&AM
      Attached Files
      Paul Hadley

Comment

that would be Chris Morgan of North Carolina who was the wetplate artist in November 2003. Here's his website. Hey Gunny we ought to do a 78th Pennsylvania impression sometime on top of Lookout Mtn. Strayer and Baumgartner have some images of this unit in their Blue Acorn Press book on Chattanooga. The 78th was stationed atop LM from Nov 63-early 64.

See ya in '09!

Mark Susnis
        Mark Susnis
        Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

Claude Levet may have taken some. He was at Chickamauga NMP with his studio in 1993.

Joe Walker

Comment

Joe I think your right. Back about ten years ago myself and several other volunteers worked with Pat Ricci (the curator of Confederate Memorial Hall in New Orleans) to photograph each artifact in the collection, including flags. Claude was the photographer for this project. During our down time I remember him making reference to going to Chattanooga while there in Chickamauga. But to be sure he struck any images while there would require better memory of which gray hair has robbed me of ! Regardless, it's great to know that some one like Wendell is in place, and has the relationship with the park to get a reenactor on that spot. Bully !
            Dennis Neal
            "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
            David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
            Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
            [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
            J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

You guys DO like to squable, don't ya? LOL I'm telling you to come on down and you're debating who was first. The Park Service told me that I was the first one they let out there. They weren't all that keen about letting me out there either. They had their arm twisted. But once I was there, the tourists told them that my working down there was the best part of the experience. Now I know Chris Morgan was there, but years after I had been. As far as Claude goes, I don't know. I've never had the privilege of ever meeting him. Seems the Park Service would have told me of him. At least by now??? NOT THAT ANY OF THAT MATTERS. Point is, I get to stay at my second home again. And if "I'm" there, that means you can be, too. I will post the dates of events for Nov. 08, when I get them. To attend, contact me at the email addy I will supply.

Regardless of who might have been FIRST, "I" am the one who opperates there NOW. There is a new event in Nov. I have been told that I can invite OTHER reenactors. So here is your INVITE. UNLESS, I'm not the one you want doing your image???

No debate needed. If I am there, YOU are welcome to be, too. If any of you fellers have not had images struck by me before, I don't think you will go away, NOT PLEASED.
              Wendell R. Decker

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I hope to take advantage of your services someday.
                Paul Hadley
                Lincoln, Neb.
                Paul Hadley

Comment

Working...
                X