X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10th Texas, Comp. G Website?? Help needed

Gentlemen:

I need a bit of computer advice.

I'm putting together my list of references for my sock presentation at the Conference on Women in the Civil War in Richmond this June.

When I started knitting socks, Scott McKay had posted an article on the 10th Texas website from the Macon Telegraph and Confederate entitled "Directions for Knitting Socks for the Army." I think it's a terrific resource, and I want to include the URL to this article in my reading list so that others can also use these directions.

I can get to the article, because I've got it bookmarked.

When I pull up the site using my bookmarks, the URL that appears on my screen is "http://members.aol.com/SMckay1234/LivingHistory/compg.htm
    But when I try typing that URL into my computer directly, I get "no such website."

If I go back and do a Yahoo search and tell it "10th Texas, company G" I can then find the website. But I can't seem to get a website that I can just type directly in that will take me where I want to go.

I could list the article and then tell the participants to "Go do a yahoo search for "10th Texas, Company G -- when you find the site, look for the article" but I'd rather list a direct URL on this reading list.

Could someone with more computer savvy than me help me get a direct URL to these directions? I'd really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
    Karin Timour
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Re: 10th Texas, Comp. G Website?? Help needed

[QUOTE=KarinTimour]Gentlemen:

When I pull up the site using my bookmarks, the URL that appears on my screen is "http://members.aol.com/SMckay1234/LivingHistory/compg.htm
    But when I try typing that URL into my computer directly, I get "no such website."

Karin,
    I typed in http://members.aol.com/SMckay1234 then hit find and it took me to the Home Page, from there I went through to find the socks under Living History ect.

This is the link I copied for the socks;

Susan Armstrong

Comment

Dear Susan:

I got your suggestion to work for getting me to the 10th Texas website, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the URL for the socks to work for me. It works fine from your post, but when I type it in, I get directed to AOL hometown and told there is no such website.

I'm going to just list the 10th Texas website and tell readers to find it from there. At least you saved me from the ignomy of having to tell them to do a Yahoo search first!

Sincerely,
      Karin Timour
      Last edited by KarinTimour; 02-06-2004, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Karin,

Just read your post and checked to see if something is wrong with that link. It seems to work just fine.

That link is:

http://members.aol.com/cbbelt/Cloth/socks.htm

Comment

Thanks Scott,

It seems to work now -- and it probably worked fine then, too. I'm not the most adept when it comes to comptuers -- I kept typing it and retyping it and circling back and forth but I just couldn't get it to link for me if I didn't use Susan's link or my bookmarked one. Those worked fine, but I wanted to make sure that I was listing a link that someone could find by typing in the URL. I had to hand in my reading list before I saw your post above, so I listed the 10th Texas link -- I hope in late June, early July you get a blip of higher numbers accessing the site looking for the sock pattern!

Thanks again for your help,
          Karin Timour

Comment

Working...
          X