Veteran Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veteran Arms

Have any of you had any experience with Veteran Arms? They have a M - 1842 Springfield listed for $450 with a bayonet. The reason that I am asking is because Cornbread (aka Tom Key) is considering purchasing one for the 150th Firing on Fort Sumter and he wanted me to check them out before he purchased one. Cornbread doesn't have a computer. They do have a pair of wood sole shoes for sale but they say that they are not for the double quick. I am not pushing this site as I have never heard of them.

Their site is: www.VeteranArms.com

Thank you in advance.

Claude Sinclair
    Claude Sinclair
    Palmetto Battalion

Re: Veteran Arms

Hummm. At the price, one could be forgiven for thinking the origin of the pieces involves being hammered-out on a flat rock in India or Pakistan. With a company headquarters in Georgia, someone should be able to eyeball the offerings. Comes to mind; how are they breeched? But, then, what do I know?
    David Fox

Comment

The specs for the M-1842 are at the right on this page: http://www.veteranarms.com/vallc/M1842.html
      Listed lastly: "Made in India"
      ---------------
      Benjamin L. Clark
      [URL="http://www.themondak.org"]MonDak Heritage Center[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.montanamuseums.org/"]Museums Assoc. of Montana[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by benjclark View Post
        The specs for the M-1842 are at the right on this page: http://www.veteranarms.com/vallc/M1842.html
        Listed lastly: "Made in India"
        Must be a surplus of what they are using in the field!! Opps, I didn't say that.
        Claude Sinclair
        Palmetto Battalion

Comment

I am going solely on pictures, but the M1840 and M1842 look very close to the ones that Loyalist Arms sells, and IIRC, are also made in India.
          Mark Taylor

Comment

Lumpkin, Ga. isn't that were Westville is located?
            Brian Hicks
            Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Hallo!

If one picture is indeed worth a thousand words....

Two pictures might be worth ten thousand words:

Curt
              Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 09-16-2009, 08:17 PM.
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong....
                Bryant Roberts
                Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Veteran Arms is just another vendor for the same low quality India-made stuff that MVTC, Loyalist Arms (and others) sell, minus the headaches of importing from Halifax, Nova Scotia. So while the pricing points are attractive, the weapons are not. The stock will be teak not walnut, and so on. It is the type thing if you bought you would likely be stuck with. You certainly could not re-sell it on here. Might make a decent unit loaner, but my experience suggests that you are better off looking for a good used musket in that price range rather than one of the India imports that are made as wallhangers, exported that way and converted to live fire here. As Geoff Walden puts it (paraphrased) "The US 1842 is the most gracefully looking of the US model smoothbores." The pictures of the Veteran Arms version just misses that sleek looking quality completely. It looks thick and clunky by comparison.

When the only "better" about a musket is that it costs less, generally that trade-off is lower quality. It seems like there has been a shortage of good, used 1842 Springfields for sale lately, I remember when you could pick one up for around $450 to 500. However you can still get an Armi Sport '42 NIB at Dixie Gun Works for $595. That is about $30 below the dealer cost from Taylors & Co for that particular musket right now. Obviously it is old stock that Dixie is closing out, but you would be much better off putting another hundred and a half into the Armi Sport which is a much better piece. You can de-farb an Armi Sport 1842 in about an hour, except for the brass sight blade. It would take years and cost hundreds more to get a decent weapon starting with one of these Veteran Arms India imports.
                  Last edited by Craig L Barry; 09-16-2009, 09:47 PM.
                  Craig L Barry
                  Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                  Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                  Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                  Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

What all is necessary to defarb a '42?

Mr. Whitley, please sign your posts. Thanks, Michael Comer
                    Last edited by Michael Comer; 02-03-2010, 09:48 AM.
                    Jim Whitley

Comment

This may be of help:
                      http://forum.pafoa.org/gunsmithing-4...2-spngfld.html

Steve Blancard
                      13th Va. Co A.
                      Steve Blancard
                      Corporal
                      13th Virginia Infantry, Company A.

Comment

Working...