Chicago area must see's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago area must see's?

Gang, I am going to be spending some time in Chicago beginning this week caring for a critically ill family member, so may need some serious down time in the 19th century. What are the top museums, etc with a CW connection?

Thanks
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Re: Chicago area must see's?

Doug,

Sorry to hear about the ill family member. If you get the time and it is not from the 19th century but U-505 is at the Chicago Musuem of Science and Industry

Welcome to the Griffin Museum of Science and Industry—the largest science center in the Western Hemisphere.
    Marc Riddell
    1st Minnesota Co D
    2nd USSS Company C
    Potomac Legion

Comment

Another non-19th century suggestion, if I might extend one, is the First Infantry Division Museum at the Cantigny estate. Here's the website. The Chicago Historical Society has the ubiquitous Lincoln exhibits due to the 200th.
      Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
      My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

I have not been in the Loop for awhile, but if the hall is still opened, the Old Public Library, now the Chicago Cultural Center I believe, had almost a whole floor preserving a large G.A.R. meeting place with many, many notable original relics displayed in wonderful old-fashioned glass and wood cases.
        Steve Sullivan
        Last edited by rogue; 01-19-2010, 03:57 PM.

Comment

If you have some time and don't mind putting some miles on, Kenosha Civil War Museum is a worthy visit. Well told story of the Old Northwest's participation in the war.

The City of Kenosha website helps citizens and visitors learn about city services and conduct business, including permit applications and online payments.

Hope all goes well,
          Steve Acker

Comment

Something a little different...

If you're interested in some truly excellent fabrics for future projects, there's a stretch of W. Roosevelt Ave. just on the southside of downtown proper that contains about seven fabric stores. Fishman's, Vogue, New Rainbow, Roosevelt, and Tenner's are all located on Roosevelt Avenue between South Canal and Desplains. There is another, larger Vogue Fabrics location north of Chicago in Evanston on Main Street; this is the place I visit every time I end up in Chicago. If you make it there be sure to check the fabrics on the tables in the center of the rooms...lots of good stuff there.
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Doug,

There is actually little of the City that is left from pre - 1871 because of the Great Fire. I agree with Steve that a run up Kenosha would be good , also the Chicago Historical Museum is a must and so is Cantigny. One other site that you may investigate is Oakwood cemetary. It is one of the oldest cemetaries in the city and it contains many civil war heroes as well as other prominates from the History of the city. If you are in thecity for an extended time let me know. Might be fun to meet somewhere.

Your Pard ,

Rod Miller
              Rod Miller
              [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
              [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
              [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
              A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
              1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
              1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
              1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
              1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
              Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
              1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
              Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Doug,

If my memory of my three years living in Chicago is accurate, tucked away in a dark (public) corner of the Chicago Historical Society is THE table upon which Lee signed the surrender document at Appomattox. I was astonished and very moved!!!!

Warm regards,

Patrick Reardon
                The Lazy Jack Mess, UK

Comment

Chicago Civil War Sites of Interest (Thanks to Arnie Bernstein for his book entitled The Hoofs and Guns of the Storm: Chicago's Civil War Connections)

Abraham Lincoln Book Shop: 357 W. Chicago Avenue www.alincolnbookshop.com

Chicago Historical Society: 1601 N. Clark Street (Clark at North Avenue) www.chicagohs.org

Graceland Cemetery: www.gracelandcemetery.org

Rosehill Cemetery: www.graveyards.com/rosehill

RM
                  Rod Miller
                  [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                  A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                  1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                  1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                  1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                  1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                  Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                  1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                  Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Pritzker Military Library: http://www.pritzkermilitarylibrary.org
                    Mark Krausz
                    William L. Campbell
                    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                    Old Northwest Volunteers
                    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Almost forgot to mention the George Spaulding jacket ("Illinois state issue jacket") is on display at the Geneva, IL historical society museum. It's a ways out on the west side of Chicago but worth checking out if you have time.

New Geneva History Center: 113 South Third Street, Geneva, IL 60134. 630-232-6069.
                      Brian White
                      [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                      [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                      [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Dear Sir,
                        Oakwood Cemetery,1035 E. 67th St , Chicago IL 60637 , contains the remains of 6,ooo Confederate soldiers from Camp Douglas. Many were from Morgan's Raiders and Forrest's various commands. The Stephen Douglas Memorial is at 636 E. 35th St., ,Chicago IL 60616. The first suburb north of Chicago is Evanston . Calvary Cemetery on Sheridan Road hold the remains of General James A. ("lay me down and save the flag!" ), Mulligan, whose grave is marked with a large Celtic cross. Enjoy yourself!
                        all for the old flag,
                        David Corbett
                        Dave Corbett

Comment

If you can get away for a few hours, the annual Re-enactor Fest Convention is a terrific place to meet up with some folks like-minded in history... though not all of it mid-19th cent. military. http://www.reenactorfest.com/
                          -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Working...
                          X