Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Sack?

Greetings,
    I had a quick question and I figured I'd post it on here to see what you guys all thought.
    I went to the Maine State Archives yesterday to do some research on the 30th ME Infantry. I was looking at the clothing and equipment returns. It was great pawing through all the documents, but one item on there baffled me.
    On a form dated in March of 1864, while the regiment was in Louisiana, one of the columns is listed as "Red Sacks" with two subsections, single and double. Company F received 15 of these.
    I thought that it might be "Bed Sack" but that is also listed on the form with a different quantity.
    So my question is, what is a " Red Sack"?
    Last edited by Backus; 01-26-2010, 04:53 PM.
    Tom Backus
    Brown Bottle Mess
    Co. H 3rd Arkansas

Re: Red Sack?

What is the quantity that is listed? If there are 400-odd men in the regiment, about how many "Red Sacks" are there to a man? Might help in illuminating this particular piece of equipment.
    Brian Gauthier

Rat Tail Mess
    Wolftever Mess
    SCAR-Southeastern Coalition of Authentic Reenactors

Cry "Havoc" and let slip the dogs of war.

Comment

Well the existing records only account for Company F. They received 15 "Single Red Sacks"
      Tom Backus
      Brown Bottle Mess
      Co. H 3rd Arkansas

Comment

Zuave body bags? No, but could they have something to do with a NCOs? Now I'm just shooting in the dark. Interesting question. I'll look around and see what I find.
        Last edited by briangauthier; 01-26-2010, 05:14 PM.
        Brian Gauthier

Rat Tail Mess
        Wolftever Mess
        SCAR-Southeastern Coalition of Authentic Reenactors

Cry "Havoc" and let slip the dogs of war.

Comment

Brian's above post about the possiblity of the "red sacks" being an NCO item made me think that "red sacks" might be "red sash" or "red sashes" instead. Could there have been a transcription error?

Just my thoughts...
          Respectfully,
          -Kyle M. Stetz
          Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

That is a good thought. My only thoughts on that is the two subsections within that item. As stated above, the form says Red Sack, and then underneath it is the two sub-categories, Single and Double. That tends to make me think that it may not be sashes.
            The only thing I can think of maybe, a second section for the bed sacks
            Last edited by Backus; 01-26-2010, 05:38 PM.
            Tom Backus
            Brown Bottle Mess
            Co. H 3rd Arkansas

Comment

I may be wrong but a red sack could be a medical descriptor for men not wearing drawers and the consequences they suffered.
              Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Was this company given any special duties? Somebody's special guard or provost or something?
                Joe Smotherman

Comment

Originally posted by Gallo de Cielo View Post
                  I may be wrong but a red sack could be a medical descriptor for men not wearing drawers and the consequences they suffered.

I had similar thoughts but I usually make my own, not have them issued.

and who would want a double?
                  Joe Smotherman

Comment

Joe,
                    No. They were made up of the survivors of the 10th ME, and new recruits in late 63. They sent to LA in early 64. They took part in the Red River Campaign.
                    Tom Backus
                    Brown Bottle Mess
                    Co. H 3rd Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by Backus View Post
                      That is a good thought. My only thoughts on that is the two subsections within that item. As stated above, the form says Red Sack, and then underneath it is the two sub-categories, Single and Double. That tends to make me think that it may not be sashes.
                      The only thing I can think of maybe, a second section for the bed sacks
                      What's listed around it? Here's one example of a quarterly return of clothing, camp and garrison equipage, and there is indeed a category for "bed sacks" with "single" and "double" listed beneath it.

I know you said that bed sacks were listed elsewhere on the same form as the red sacks, but are there any other things listed around the "red sacks" that might match the things around the bed sacks on the form at the link, or any other military form? Bed sacks really does seem the most logical.

Hank Trent
                      hanktrent@gmail.com
                      Last edited by Hank Trent; 01-26-2010, 06:18 PM. Reason: garbled grammar
                      Hank Trent

Comment

Hank,
                        It is at the very end of the page. Woolen blankets is the last thing listed, then it is blank for about 10-15 columns, the the Red Sack. It probably is just a miss spelling on the form. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing.
                        Tom Backus
                        Brown Bottle Mess
                        Co. H 3rd Arkansas

Comment

I'd lean towards a typo. If the "red sacks" are listed near blankets then logic should lean towards a "bed sack." Hank's link is good.

But logic also can back up what Fred stated too. Port Hudson 2003 taught me some lessons in that subject. Bleh!
                          Herb Coats
                          Armory Guards &
                          WIG

Comment

Herb,
                            Did you mean Port GIBSON?
                            Patrick Landrum
                            Independent Rifles

Comment

Pat,
                              I believe Herb was more focused on the "port" as that is his favorite type of wine. Having been to Gibson and Hudson (and Huron for that matter) I think it's most important that we dwell on the Port.
                              My two cents,
                              Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Working...
                              X