Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic Fort Snelling living history

Greetings all,

Some of you may know me, but for those of you who don't, my name is Matt Cassady and I have been an active member with the 104th Illinois and the 1st Illinois Battalion. Now I am a Program Associate (fancy name for a museum program developer) for Historic Fort Snelling in Saint Paul, MN, and I serve as coordinator for the site's Civil War living history event. I am writing to see if there is any interest among the authentic community in supporting the fort's Civil War programming in 2010. This year's Civil War living history event will be the weekend of August 7 - 8, 2010.

The format of the living history event has changed from what it was in past years. Rather than recreating a specific event in the fort's history, the program is now focused on presenting hands-on and interactive learning experiences for the public, often taking the form of learning stations around the fort (ie. a station interpreting the Signal Corps where visitors could send messages using flags back and forth across the fort to each other; hardtack cutting in the fort's Bakeshop; a music station where visitors learned basic drum calls; and so on). These interpretive stations are manned either by the fort's staff or by reenactor volunteers who have an interest in a particular subject. The fort's management team decided to adopt this format after seeing that our visitors better responded to this method.

In addition, our base living history program is now 3rd person. This is not to say, however, that staff or reenactors are not or cannot be in 1st person for internal program interactions, but we no longer interact with the visitors in 1st person. We still use period vernacular or at least period-neutral vocabulary, and the military program still operates with period social conventions (saluting, deferring, etc.). It had become problematic to interpret in 1st person to the public, even modified first person, with an ever-increasing base content, including sensitive content issues; American Indian relations, Slavery, Alcoholism, Violence. etc. (Just a reminder, Historic Fort Snelling is a dry site, day and night, going on 5 years now.)

We are looking for more high-quality reenactors who can help support our public program and share their vast wealth of knowledge with the visiting public. I would like to encourage anyone who might be interested in participating to check out our website (www.mnhs.org/fortsnelling) and to contact me for more information. Thank you very much, and I hope that you all will consider participating in Historic Fort Snelling's Civil War programs in the future.

Thanks for your time,
    [B][COLOR=#0000CD]Matthew P. Cassady
    [/COLOR][/B]

Re: Historic Fort Snelling living history

Matthew,

Your ideas sound interesting . It is a shame you were not able to get information out to groups before now . Most mess groups have already slated a calendar. What are the impression that you would want / need at the fort??

RM
    Rod Miller
    [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
    A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
    1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
    1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
    1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
    1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
    Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
    1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
    Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Re: Historic Fort Snelling living history

Part of the reason we were only able to get this information out now was a scheduling issue and difficulties with construction projects on the site. Hopefully by the summer of 2011 we will be finished with the construction (just in time for the sesquicentennial).

As far as impressions go, the fort's staff will be dressed as garrison troops (fatigue blouses and forage caps). For volunteer reenactors we usually suggest the same, but campaign impressions are not out of line at all. Since there is no specific "scenario" for the program we can be more flexible in terms of uniform guidelines.

Ideally, reenactors will be quartered in the barracks buildings on the site. Six of the rooms have reconstructed bunks (6 bunks in each room meant for 12 men - spooning would be a necessity, if you wanted to do it authentically). For programming, there would be several scheduled drills - company drill, musket firings, and bayonet drill - throughout the day (the site provides rounds, but reenactors would need to bring their own caps) but the rest of the day is fairly flexible. Wood and cooking details, pay and mail calls, church service, officer elections, etc., would be great activities for the reenactors to do in between drills, too.

Anyway, if there's interest please feel free to contact me as I am the point person for this program. Thanks for your time, everyone, and I hope to hear from you all.

All the best,
      Last edited by billmatt04; 02-06-2010, 01:15 PM.
      [B][COLOR=#0000CD]Matthew P. Cassady
      [/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Working...
      X