Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brit ACs?

Good day, ladies and gentlemen;
    I'm posting at the behest of a friend, a South African ex-pat currently residing in England. He's a photographer of great skill and artistic vision who usually does equine images. He tried his hand at photographing ACW reenactments a while ago and was rather dissapointed by the results. Not that the resultant images weren't technically flawless -with proper models they could have been Civil War museum exhibits- but the subjects were...well, let's be kind and say "not all that authentic."
    Johan was curious as to whether or not GB harbors an equviulent to, say, the Armory Guard or Hardcase Boys: really squared away campaign reenactor units. Also, are there any events of the Bummers and Piney Woods level in GB or at least on the continent? He'd love a chance to embed and capture the "real" ACW reenacting avocation. Can anybody provide a contact to help him out?
    Thanks for your attention,
    Ray Meinberg
    (Flatlanders Mess)

Re: Brit ACs?

Ray:

Have your pard track down the Lazy Jack Mess. I met a couple of their lads at Bummers. Top notch lads!

Kace
    Kevin 'Kace' Christensen
    7th & 30th Missouri Volunteers

Comment

There are a number of British and other European campaigners around here in this forum.

Though your friend won't find any Civil War events over here in the scale/quantity of e.g. Bummers--but there are small quality events taking place throughout the year on the British isles, in France, or in Germany.
      Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
      Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

The Lazy Jacks are, in my humble opinion, one of the most learned and authentic groups in the hobby with one of the coolest names to boot. They are here: http://www.lazyjacks.org.uk/
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Dear Ray,

Please have your chum contact me, I'd be glad to help. Best is email, patrick1940@hotmail.com. Where in the UK is he? I live in central London and, if he's anywhere close, we could meet up.

Best,

Patrick Reardon
          The Lazy Jack Mess, UK
          The American Eagle Society, UK

Comment

Fellow Campaigners;

Thank you for your prompt replies. Johan has lived in the UK since '99. He currently resides on a studfarm outside Kirtlington (called Kirtlington Stud, naturally). It's about 10 klicks from Oxford, I believe. He's truly eager to have the opportunity to ply his very considerable skills among living historians worthy of what I feel is his very real artistry. Heck, I'll bet that once he sees how rewarding "real" reenacting can be, he may even be inclined to dive in himself. I'll pass on your contact data to him this afternoon. Again, thanks for your consideration, gentlemen.

Regards,
            Ray Meinberg
            (Flatlanders Mess)
            Last edited by 115NYVI; 02-09-2010, 08:37 AM.

Comment

As an ACW Living Historian in the UK i would agree that the LazyJacks would VERY MUCH be the people to track down if you are looking for the very highest quality of authenticity. As i suspect with the other side of the Atlantic, there are some excellent individuals within the more mainstream societies, they are very much in the minority . . .steadily growing but still a minority.

Ed Wilson
              The Hairyfeet Mess
              Co.A 19th IND
              Ed Wilson
              Co.A, 19th IND (UK)
              The Hairy-feet Mess

Comment

There is also a European Progressives social group here on the AC and a forum for European campaigners: http://www.european-campaigner.com

(Dear moderators, I hope it is ok to post this link. If not, do your duty.)
                Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
                Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

There is also the excellent campaign unit the 18th Virginia Infantry within the ACWS, UK.

Dave Burt 18th VA, ACWS, UK.
                  David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Originally posted by DBURT View Post
                    There is also the excellent campaign unit the 18th Virginia Infantry within the ACWS, UK.

Dave Burt 18th VA, ACWS, UK.
                    Dave is quite right, the 18th VA are WELL worth a look, make sure you bring some coffee for trade though (or 'indiana red-bug') . .
                    Ed Wilson
                    Co.A, 19th IND (UK)
                    The Hairy-feet Mess

Comment

Working...
                    X