Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure where to put this

Gents,

Let me try and briefly summarize my situation, so that I may get your opinions on it. During my time playing football, besides other injuries sustained, I managed to pull several ligaments in my neck. The result of it is that when sleeping without any sort of good stiff thick neck support, I either do not sleep at all, or awake with raging neck and head aches, or both. I'm not about to bring out a foam pillow, but I was wondering if anyone had any period ideas on something that could be used to alleviate this.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Jim Whitley

Re: Not sure where to put this

Hallo!

I use my knapsack for a "pillow."

(With a note to the argument... Q: What did Civiil War soldiers do to address this? A: They did not play football.)

:)

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

You'll need to use something you're already carrying. A spare pair of socks tightly rolled in your huck towel may do.
      (Herr Schmidt is doubtless correct about the football, but I did some damage to my neck by sliding down a steep wet hill. That was, alas, a fair reenactment of a period experience.)
      If the socks and towel don't work, you may have to carry an extra shirt used in the same manner. Winter events would be a tad easier, since heavy wool scarves are period-correct.

It might be good to look through period health books to see what popular methods were for dealing with sore necks. I don't have one in front of me to see whether the usual advice to wrap the injured part in a warm layer of flannel applied there.
      Becky Morgan

Comment

I'm not clear as to whether, due to the injury, you need a firm "pillow" for your head or something directly under your neck.

If the former, the knapsack or haversack serves well, particularly with your sack coat folded on top of it for comfort.

If the latter, then spare drawers, shirt or the sack coat can be rolled up and be placed under your neck, even wrapped around a tin cup or piece of tree limb.

There are also records of inflatable pillows in existance at the time; it seems someone was making them at one point.

We've got one fellow in our unit who routinely uses a piece of firewood as his pillow. He can sleep anywhere, anytime, any way, anyhow. I envy him!
        Bernard Biederman
        30th OVI
        Co. B
        Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
        Outpost III

Comment

I'm the same way. Seems like there's always some extra article of clothing I can roll up and put under my neck--coat in the summer, extra pair of socks plus a towel or something, extra shirt, vest. There's always something I'm not wearing, even in fairly cold weather.

Oh, and for Curt :)

Hank Trent
          hanktrent@gmail.com
          Hank Trent

Comment

just this last weekend, I used a scarf wrapped around my knapsack. Knapsacks are remarkably versatile, so long as they are not overpacked. Like mine. :-/
            Brian Gauthier

Rat Tail Mess
            Wolftever Mess
            SCAR-Southeastern Coalition of Authentic Reenactors

Cry "Havoc" and let slip the dogs of war.

Comment

Hallo!

Probably Massachusetts troops playing the "Boston Game," or maybe be Ballown.

:)

Could be a Confederate head though.

;)

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

As a modern day infantryman, I would use my boots (toe to toe) when not in a frontline situation, as a pillow. Padded by an extra article of clothing, it worked pretty well and I have adopted this method for reenacting with my brogans. It may not work for you but it does give my neck plenty of support.
                [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
                Brian Darsey

"Darsey O'Brien"
                Chaplain, 4th FL Reg.
                7 lbs of Bacon Mess[/FONT]

Comment

I had a herniated disk in my upper back and also need firm neck support when I sleep. I find that my cartridge box, with the sling wrapped around it and my coat rolled or folded on top, works for me. No smoking in bed, though.

It also helps to have something under my knees, so if I have the opportunity I'll take off my trousers and roll them up there. You can get the same effect using straw, leaves, corn shucks, pine boughs, or any other mattressing material you can find. At least one source (the name of which escapes me now) recommends digging a small hollow for the hips.
                  Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post
                    At least one source (the name of which escapes me now) recommends digging a small hollow for the hips.
                    I can vouch for this method in terms of increasing your comfort. At Bummers it just so happened that my spot by our fire had a 6-7" rock right in the middle of it. With just a little bit of work I peeled the rock out of the ground and set my blanket down. My hip ended uo just where the rock had been and it was the best night's sleep I have ever had at an event! It was so good in fact that when we ended up camped in the same place Saturday night I rushed to claim the same real estate for my bedroll, and I wasn't disappointed!

Take care,
                    Tom Craig
                    Tom Craig

Comment

Working...
                    X