X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PH Collectable or not.

Hallo!

Plus...

The Parker Hale PH is .577 Progressive Depth rifling whereas the Italian repro's are uniform depth .578, .579, .580, .581, .582ish.

:)

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I believe the question as to "why" has been answered here. Too bad there was not that much of a public outcry when all those original ACW period firearms were being bought up as surplus and bored out and chopped up as bird guns. Then again.., even in that incarnation they still sport some value...

IMHO
      R. L. (Rick) Harding, Jr.
      United States Marine Corps 1971-1972
      Life Member - Disabled American Veterans
      Capt., ret. - Trans-Mississippi Rifles
      Member - Co. F, 1st Arkansas Infantry Battalion, TMB
      Member - TMR Veteran's Assoc.
      Member - Morehouse Guards, 3LA

Comment

Bonjour,
        I have owned a 3 band PH and and a 2 band Enfield since 1977.
        Both are an incredible reconstruction of the the original patterns. My thre band Enfield has a briliant tiger stirpe stock and only needed a replacement lock and bands. It is an inch too short, aren't we all.
        I would take this rifle anywhere and live or blank beat the opposition.
        My musket was selected from an order of 31 in 1979 and was was the cream of the lot.
        By the way my period bayonet slipped on with no adjustements required.

Erik Simundson
        Erik Simundson

Comment

Ok, let's try this: (mods, using modern examples to try and bring in a different perspective.....I hope, feel free to delete if too far off topic)

Instead of talking about PH vs. original vs. Italian, let's look at cars.

Ever go to a car show and seen a pristine 34 Ford business couple that looked like it just rolled off the assembly line and next to it was the same model but with a 3 inch chop, dropped spindles, a blown big block chevy engine, and paint that will put your eyes out if you look at it with a bright light behind you? Which is the "better" car? some will say the original and some will say the modified (defarbed?) one. It depends on what the owner's and viewer's taste. I like both. Would I modify a 34 Ford like that? probably not.

In my case I have a small block 1972 Monte Carlo, these were available in big block packages and in the previous 2 years as a SS. The big block cars are more "collectable" but many will argue mine is collectable as well so it shouldn't be touched. Well, it's my car so I have bored it, increased the valve size, put a bigger carbeurator on it, beefed up the transmission, and painted it a custom color. I guess by some standards I ruined it but I'll tell you this, I have a heck of a lot of fun in it and you can tell me how badly I ruined it as you watch my tail lights vanish in the distance ahead of you.

So the moral of the story is to each their own but be very careful telling someone they are "ruining" something that they may get more enjoyment out of if they "ruin" it. Now if we are talking about originals with historic significance at this day that's a different story but how many "ruined" items of the period have we seen? Bayonets bent to fashion candlesticks, .69 calibres cut down, etc after the war?
          Robert Collett
          8th FL / 13th IN
          Armory Guards
          WIG

Comment

Parker Hales are just Parker-Hales (gasp!). They are only reproductions of something that they are not. They use crappy to fair wood like other P-Hs, and have imprefections as with any other reproduction that can be improved upon. Doing this is not "ruining" nor "destroying" them. Doing this is improving upon what the original makers of the reproduction were attempting to reproduce. While I appreciate P-H Enfields as being "more correct" than the Euroclub or Armis, I also know upon first taking one in that there are lots of little things I must do to make it what it never had achieved.

Comment

Someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't the point of this forum to strive to be as accurate to what the original Civil War soldiers carried and used as possible. This means taking an object that is post Civil War made and modifying it to be as close a copy to the originals as possible. This means "defarbing". Anything else should not be discussed here. Should not this thread be closed?
              Brad Ireland
              Old Line Mess
              4th VA CO. A
              SWB

Comment

Brad makes a great point.

Thanks, Brad!
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                X