Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Ancestor

Hello all,

I have done a great deal of research on an ancestor of mine but I have a question. Unfortunately, my ancestor was one of the many obscure soldiers. He left no diaries, no letters, etc; all I have to go off of is his pension records and other postwar documents. He was a Confederate soldier who served in the 19th Alabama Co. A. The unit served in the west at Shiloh, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Atlanta, etc all the way to the surrender in North Carolina. From what I have found is that he enlisted in Aug/Sept 1861 and was discharged/paroled on April 9, 1865. From his postwar pension application, he lists that he had no wounds and a doctor's note also lists that he has no wounds and was in good shape for a man of his age.

This leads me to a dilemma. He obviously made it through the war (apparently without wounds). I know the odds are slim that he served in every battle and escaped unharmed. I'm sure he also served some time in hospitals and such during battles so could possibly have missed action that way. But, I'm asking to find out what the most likely situation was? Through y'alls personal research what do you think? Is it more likely that he served in many of the battles, missed most battles, or could it have been even? I'm just trying to complete this research as I try to get an image of who my ancestor was and what his experiences were like.

Thank you in advance,

Duane Hight

Re: Question about Ancestor

With no diary or letters you are basically out of luck finding out any detailed personal information.
    Last edited by JimKindred; 02-27-2010, 05:40 PM.
    Jim Kindred

Comment

Check his records at footnote.com.
      Matt Woodburn
      Retired Big Bug
      WIG/GHTI
      Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
      "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Sounds a lot like my ancestor - Sgt. William Henry Harrison, 37th NCT, Co. C. He enlisted in April of '61 and was paroled at Appomatox in '65. I was able to obtain his service record, which is really just a compilation of muster reports and a few hospital records. I was able to trace his location every 3 months throughout the war. I can't say which battles he was in, but I can tell if he was present in the time frame or if he was in a hospital. He had pneumonia, dysentary and various ailments. The only wound he sustained (from family lore, not records) is that he had the tip of his nose taken off by a minie' ball. Grandma always said he looked like a bulldog.

I imagine the vast majority of soldiers served with little fanfare or written legacy. The few scraps of documentation we find on our ancestors offer only tantalizing glimpses of what they went through. I wish I had more, especially a photo, but I don't. The best thing I have is stories my grandmother told me. She knew him as a little girl and heard his stories first hand.
        Steve Blancard
        Corporal
        13th Virginia Infantry, Company A.

Comment

You didn't mention whether or not you had accessed the National Archives in an attempt to locate his service records. While many Confederate records are missing, there still are many available. If you can find his regimental records, you may find his name listed on the Rolls and that may lead you in the general direction of his participation in various campaigns.

Here is one site that may give some leads: http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.cfm When you find his name on the roster, there will be Microfilm Roll number for him and/or his regiment. For example, here is the information provided for the first man in Company D

Andrew J. Abels (First_Last)
          Regiment Name 19 Alabama Infantry
          Side Confederate
          Company D
          Soldier's Rank_In Private
          Soldier's Rank_Out Private
          Alternate Name
          Notes
          Film Number M374 roll 1

Here is a general history, from this site, for the 19th Alabama.

"19th Regiment, Alabama Infantry

19th Infantry Regiment, organized at Huntsville, Alabama, in August, 1861, contained men from Blount, Cherokee, Pickens, Coosa, Chilton, and Jefferson counties. After serving at Mobile the unit was ordered to Corinth and later fought at Shiloh under J.K. Jackson. Transferred to General Gardner's command, it was active in the Kentucky Campaign, then was brigaded under Generals Deas, G.D. Johnston, and Pettus, Army of Tennessee. The 19th participated in many conflicts from Murfreesboro to Atlanta, was with Hood in Tennessee, and fought at Bentonville, North Carolina. It lost fifty-four percent of the 650 engaged at Shiloh, and reported 151 killed and wounded at Murfreesboro and 192 at Chickamauga. In December, 1863, the regiment contained 347 men and 228 arms. It was badly cut up in the battles around Atlanta and many were captured at Franklin. Only 76 men were present when it surrendered. The unit was commanded by Colonels Samuel K. McSpadden and Joseph Wheeler, Lieutenant Colonels George R. Kimbrough and Edward D. Tracy, and Majors Solomon Palmer and James H. Savage."

Good luck.

J
          Last edited by H. L. Hanger; 02-27-2010, 04:47 PM.
          [FONT=Times New Roman]H. L. "Jack" Hanger[/FONT]
          [I]"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at with a rest, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!"[/I] Chickamauga, 1863

Comment

Ok, Checked him out on Footnote and he has a huge file for an enlisted man, 39 cards. Anyway, he enlisted August 13, 1861 and in Novemeber of 1862 he is listed as a Teamster, so that explains how he made it through in one piece. Hope this is of help.

Lee
            Lee White
            Researcher and Historian
            "Delenda Est Carthago"
            "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X