Use of the Term "Civil War"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Use of the Term "Civil War"

I find this interesting because I was thinking the same thing the other day. It seems to me from articles I have read from the time period in the New York Times that in the north the war for the most part was referred to as the rebellion during and after the war. As for Confederates or southerners after the war it was commonly referred to as the Lost Cause and during the war they called it The Second War for Independence and other variations of that. I got that info from journals I have read. Even Sam Watkins refers to it as the Lost Cause in his post war memiors.

Comment

I appologize for my previous post i forgot to sign my name so here it is....

Thomas Montefinise
      119th NYSV Co. H

Comment

Jay-

While the governments of southern states voted to leave the Union, don't forget that large swaths of the population along the Appalachian mountains were not in favor of leaving the Union, and that in border states such as Missouri and Kentucky, there were many sad incidents like are seen in civil wars. There were families which were divided in their loyalties.

And while I have never confirmed this, I have heard that there were white regiments that fought for the Union from every southern state except for South Carolina. In many cases this was much more a civil war than the post-war tidying up led us to believe.
        [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

well when Grant was talking about Shilo and saying it was the must misunderstood battle '' on the war of rebelion''
          Avery Miller
          2nd Ga. Sharpshooters/64th Illinoise Yates Sharpshooters

'' He Who Sheds His Blood With Me Shall Be My Brother''

Comment

Originally posted by hiplainsyank View Post
            Jay-

While the governments of southern states voted to leave the Union, don't forget that large swaths of the population along the Appalachian mountains were not in favor of leaving the Union, and that in border states such as Missouri and Kentucky, there were many sad incidents like are seen in civil wars. There were families which were divided in their loyalties.

And while I have never confirmed this, I have heard that there were white regiments that fought for the Union from every southern state except for South Carolina. In many cases this was much more a civil war than the post-war tidying up led us to believe.
            Yes, but the vast majority of regiments were Confederate, except for previously mentioned Missouri and Kentucky. For example, in Texas, there were just four Union cavalry regiments. But, at one time, the Confederates raised 37 cavalry regiments, 28 infantry regiments, artillery units, and many thousands of volunteers in frontier battalions and other Texas State Troops. Several Confederate states raised more units (mostly regiments) than Texas and the proportion of Union troops was always small except for perhaps Tennessee (56). Alabama had just 6 Union regiments; Virginia -1; North Carolina-8; and South Carolina-5 (All black men).

It would not have made sense for citizens of the Cotton States, or even Virginia or North Carolina, to refer to a Civil War. It would make more sense for Grant to call it the War of Southern Independence, but he probably did not. So, let's go back to research the question, what did the contemporaries call the War.
            Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
            Terry Pratchett

Comment

Walt Whitman's works refer to it as the "War of Attempted Seccession".

Gen. J.E. Johnston's writings refer to it as the "War Against the States.".

Chris Rideout
              Tampa, Florida

Comment

Working...
              X