Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deepening ramrod channel

All,

Is there an "over the counter" method of extending the depth of the ramrod channel? As a Christmas present, I received a new ramrod for one of my muskets. It's a thing of beauty but barely more than an inch longer than the one it is fated to replace. Accordingly, the tulip sticks out a bit longer than I'd like. Any prescriptions for adding another inch or so to the depth of the ramrod channel with something I can readily buy?

Kind regards,
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Re: Deepening ramrod channel

Not sure what you mean by "over the counter" unless you mean "cheap and dirty"? If that is what you want, take a hacksaw and cut your new rod to the same length as the old one - being sure of course to cut the threaded end, then re-thread.

To do it properly, and I am sure that is what you meant, it will have to be drilled out. If you know a gunmaker who builds American Longrifles he MAY be able to help, barrels on longrifles and fowlers are often as long as 46 inches and drill bits need to be custom made or purchased for the ramrod holes. The biggest problem will be finding one that is small enough in diameter for a military gun with a steel rammer, most are 5/16" to 39/16" in diameter and will not even fit in your ramrod groove, much less drill out your ramrod hole. I have my own that I made out of 1/4 inch stock but unless you are experienced in metal working, it is not something you will want to try by yourself so have a local machine shop weld or braze a 1/4 inch drill bit to a long pice of 1/4 inch rod. If you intend to do this regularly, the bit will need to have a shoulder turned on it's end and then threaded. The rod can be drilled out and tapped, the two screwed together and the brazed - this is the best way, a little costly but worth it. See to it that it is dead straight and drill slowly and carefully, you don't want to crack your stock.
    Thomas Pare Hern
    Co. A, 4th Virginia
    Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Hallo!

Short answer: yes there is.
      Longer answer: You do not want to go there.

IMHO, I would measure the ramrod in the bore, then cut off the surplus, then retap the end.

Reproduction ramrods were, are, made in a variety of finished and unfinished lengths partly as a legacy from the N-SSA.

Regarding the other, one can by a "ramrod drill" at muzzleloading building supply vendors that is a drill bit welded to a long shaft that is used to
      drill/bore out the ramrod groove and channel in the stock. They can be used with an electric drill, and run under the barrel bands to IN THEORY deepen the ramrod "hole" in the forestock.

HOWEVER, IMHO, it is not a good idea as there are a number of "obstacles." For example, if drilled too fast, the bit can "walk" and bend to go off at an angle. I have seen some exit the forestock.
      And more importantly, there are spatial relationships between the barrel channel, the lock screws, and the ramrod. For example, the ramrod may end up hitting the forward lock screw instead of passing farther in.

Unless you can borrow one, it may be easier and safer to buy a new ramrod than to buy a ramrod drill.

And I would add a story. I once knew a lad who had an M1841 repro that he thought the ramrod was too long on. To deepen the hole in the stock, he thought he could take a large wood screw and screw the screw into the ramrod hole making a deeper hole. About a half an inch "in," the screw bound and then cracked the forestock in two places.

I would look to fitting the ramrod to the gun, not the gun to the ramrod.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
      Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM.
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Kurt,

This was my thinking, and my fear as well, with regard to the complexity. The ramrod came from S and S and I'm sure they'd cut some length off it and adjust. However, paying for shipping there and back (and concocting a box) will cost more than the darned rammer did to begin with. Seeing as it was a gift from my in-laws, I have avoided telling them thanks but that they should have had my dear bride measure the rammer it was destined to replace to begin with.

I do appreciate your thoughts Kurt! Pretty much confirmed what I thought would be the case but occasionally there is a secret, easy solution. Very occasionally.
        Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Fred,

What Model type firearm is your new ramrod for?
          U. S. type firearms have a small plate inlet into the front end of the trigger plate inlet that acts as a ramrod stop. You would have to remove this before before you could drill out the channel any deeper. However, by removing this "stop", this will allow your ramrod to seat another 1/8 th to 3/16 th inch deeper. But, can also break out the wood into the front trigger guard screw or into the trigger bow nut inlet area. Depending on the model arm you are wanting to do this to.
          The Enfield types have a this ramrod "stop" too. If you remove this stop you might drill into front trigger guard stud that is built into the front of the trigger guard. This is the stud on the front of the trigger guard that is held to the stock with a pin.
          Last edited by Blair; 03-08-2010, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gallo de Cielo View Post
            The ramrod came from S and S and I'm sure they'd cut some length off it and adjust. However, paying for shipping there and back (and concocting a box) will cost more than the darned rammer did to begin with.
            No need to return the ramrod to be shortened. Wrap it with some leather, lock it in a vice and cut the extra off with a hacksaw. Duplicating the threads on the end is no big deal either, you can buy the thread die at most hardware stores or ask a machine shop to do it.
            Jim Kindred

Comment

Working...
            X