TMP: The New Wickett Enfield Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMP: The New Wickett Enfield Project

The Money Pit, a "custom" P53 and an amalgamation of original/repro parts belonging to John Wickett,
    has been reworked and defarbed by Todd Watts. John will have the Enfield in hand later this weekend,
    and my hope is that he will post a few pictures of it as it was originally, along with how it looks now.
    The E. Bond stock stamp is the sharpest and clearest that I have seen so far from Todd. The lines are
    cleaned up. Nose cap rivets, blued barrel, sights and bands, proof marks properly placed, stock refinished, etc.

It will hold the distinction of being the last weapon that both Mr Watts and myself will have collaborated
    on together. Todd will continue to offer his de-farbed Enfields, smoothbores, Mississippis and Springfields
    through BRI, of course. For me, FINIS.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Re: TMP: The New Wickett Enfield Project

I'm curious what was used as the starting specimen for the project? By that I mean, is this a "defarbed" pre-1985 British Parker Hale, Armisport, or original barrel and stock? In my ongoing research of trying to build the most accurate looking P-53 for reenacting purposes, it seems that you can use repro parts for so many things except the barrel. Neither the Parker Hale nor the Armisport barrels seem to capture the slight taper/ elegance/ or weight of the original barrels. I know that John loves to go as far out as he can was wondering what barrel and stock were used.
    Preston Todd
    Hard Case Boys
    Top Rail Mess

Comment

Preston,
      It is an amalgum, or a "reproriginal", that I had built about 10-12 years ago and have offered up here for sale on a couple of occasions. Craig (quite appropriately) dubbed it "The Money Pit" this year... before Todd did any work on it, I knew I'd never be able to sell it for what I had invested (honestly, I cannot remember how much I've spent... maybe I'm blocking it).

So, what do you do in a situation like that?
      SINK MORE DOUGH INTO IT!!! ;)

It was quite a nice piece before Todd touched it, but there were a number of things that were bugging me. So, Craig worked with Todd to bring it a bit closer to historical accuracy. I'm not expecting "perfection", but I'm anxious to see what he's done. I think the biggest advance will be the metal finishing. Todd does a wonderful job doing a true rust-blue, as well as color case hardening.

I'll certainly post pics when I get it back.

My advice to folks wanting to do a custom repro:
      Do a '61 Springfield.

Enfields, especially the hand-fitted Birmingham guns, are really tough to do correctly. By contrast, there are abundant original and interchangeable-with-original repro parts available for US M'61's. You can get a near-perfect repro '61 for a lot less investment than an Enfield.

I'm certain that I'll be happy with the continued improvement of "The Money Pit". But, I'd recommend that other anal-retentive musket junkies out there learn from my experience. The money you spend trying to get the "perfect Enfield" will be better spent on a high-condition original.

Whatever musket you choose to build or have built for you, the learning is priceless! I notice details on Enfields I'd never have noticed any other way and this experience has given me an eye for details on other types of muskets, as well. Its been fun, and that's what hobbies are all about.

I'm looking forward to seeing it and starting on the next project!!!
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

An original P53 with a repro Hoyt/Whitacre/defarbed factory or relined original barrel is definitely the way to go vs
        trying to get an Italian reproduction to look like anything. Nothing can be more authentic than an original. The Wickett
        Money Pit P53 project turned out well enough that I would not be embarrassed to carry it. But getting it to that point
        was a challenge. I am getting burned out on Enfield work. I think Todd Watts is, too.

John should have some images of it up in a few days, if his set of cronies for this weekend proved capable of
        handling the delivery.
        Craig L Barry

Comment

The Indiana boys weren't--it turns out--capable of handling the pick-up/delivery. Twice.
          So, nearly a month later now Wickett should have his baby back by virtue of attending
          Landrum's Franklin LH and getting it picked up himself. Perhaps the Wick can post a pic?
          Last edited by Craig L Barry; 04-19-2010, 06:53 PM.
          Craig L Barry

Comment

Working...
          X