Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you a Reenactor in NJ? SE Penn? N. Delaware? Want Some Fun in May?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a Reenactor in NJ? SE Penn? N. Delaware? Want Some Fun in May?

Mods, move this if it's not in the right place.

Read about the budget cuts to schools, museums, lay offs for battlefield and museum staff? Historic sites and houses closing their doors? I feel that all of this is going to make it less likely that students will be entranced by history as so many of us were when we were school children.

Well, I'm not rich, and I can't solve the world's problems (or even New Jersey's).
    But I do believe that individual people, who are willing to step up can make a big difference. Do you believe that, too?

There were many people who told wonderful stories about the Civil War to me when I was growing up. Many of you do living history with your local schools and parks. You know what it's like when you look in their eyes and watch them light up.

Jim Dunn, a young history teacher (and a new reenactor) in May's Landing, NJ has gotten permission to host the first living history in his high school. It's scheduled for May 21, a Friday and a school day.

Jim went to all the meetings and got clearance with the school board, local police, fire, forestry department, and even the Atlantic County Prosecutor's office. Reenactors can bring guns, edged weapons, bayonets, just no projectiles and no loaded weapons.

The school agreed to let people camp overnight and have camp fires on school grounds.

Now he needs reenactors.

I'm going. Will you join me?

People can stay overnight or can come that morning or at lunch time or at any point through the day.

It's 2010, times are tough.

Each of us can make a difference, one day at a time.
    Make a difference on one day, in one school. Come on May 21st.

Post on this thread, or send your contact info to me at "ktimour@aol.com."

Karin Timour
    Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
    Atlantic Guard Soldier's Aid Society
    Email: Ktimour@aol.com
Working...
X