X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queries for the Census Takers

With our National Census looming,

The Constitutional [Alexandria, LA], August 25, 1860, p. 4, c. 1

Queries for the Census Takers.---Interrogatories to be put to the Ladies.---
    How many new dresses does your husband allow you a year, and how often was your last bonnet "done up" before you had another?
    Are you almost or quite worried to death by Bridget, and how often does she demand a day out?
    How many evenings in the week is your husband detained late at the office or store or business, and does he belong to a Lodge?
    If so , how many "special meetings" does he attend in a month, and has he even been called to sit with a sick brother?
    Does he smoke?, Does he chew? Is he in the habit, after being kept late at the "office," the "store" or "Lodge", of taking copious draughts of ice water the next morning?
    Does he allow you to open his letters?
    Does he ever grumble when asked to take you to the opera, and is he limited in his ideas on the subject of gloves?
    Does your momma visit you frequently? What is the average length of her stay? What sentiment does she entertain towards your husband?
    Interrogatories for the Gent's.---
    Are you familiar with the words "brute" or "wretch", and have you ever heard them applied to yourself?
    Do you know the meaning of a curtain lecture?
    Are you on good terms with your mother-in-law/ and if not, why?
    What are your ideas relative to the influences of shopping?
    Did you ever hear any comparison made between the style in which you live and the style in which the "Browns" live, who are "not half as well off as you?"
    How often in the course of a year does your wife warn you that "you'll be sorry when she's gone?"
    Do you always tell the truth when asked, "where have you been", and if not, how often do you do the other thing?
    Does your wife belong to a "sewing society", and if so, what is your opinion concerning the "old cats" who meet there?
    How many times per annum do you have to wait for your dinner, and if on such occasions what is your average state of mind?
    Have you any friend (?) whose example as a husband you have been requested to follow?

Thanks to Vicki Betts, this may be found here,
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Re: Queries for the Census Takers

I hope my census taker doesn't ask these questions today. How am I to respond?
    I can image the giggle in some homes and the cold sweat in others when this was read.
    Pat Brown

Comment

Time to break out Simon Suggs "Taking the Census"
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

"Now," continued the old she savage, "them's the severest dogs in this country."

Thanks Mrs. Lawson for breakin' out Simon Suggs.
        Some Adventures of Captain Simon Suggs, Late of the Tallapoosa Volunteers; Together with "Taking the Census," and Other Alabama Sketches. By a Country Editor with a Portrait from Life, and Other Illustrations, by Darley By Johnson Jones Hooper, 1815-1862 and Felix Octavius Carr Darley, 1822-1888, Illustrated by
        Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
        Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
        Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
        www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Working...
        X