Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sites to see and things to do In and around Jackson, Miss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sites to see and things to do In and around Jackson, Miss.

I am toying with the idea of making a round trip to the south with my family during spring break . My wife has family in Jackson MS so that would be home base. We will hit Vicksburg in a day and may another day or so . I am looking for any suggestions from the folks on the AC. Also any must see places in or around Vicksburg. I have also considered a run down to Natchez ????

I welcome your thoughts.

RM
    Rod Miller
    [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
    A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
    1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
    1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
    1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
    1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
    Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
    1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
    Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Re: Sites to see and things to do In and around Jackson, Miss.

I have learned the hard way that when you have a strong interest and your traveling partners may not, it's best to have something on hand for them to look into. Try this site:
    THE PAGE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR DOESN'T EXIST. Try asking Missi or searching for the information you're looking for.

It should give you all the fairs, festivals, museums and such that are likely to be open during break. I don't know how the Mississippi printed guides are, but ours in Ohio have coupons, often buy one get one for many attractions. It does come in handy.
    Here's the Vicksburg tourist site:

Natchez has dueling sites, so I'll let you sort that out, but here's the one for the Natchez Trace:
    Explore scenic routes along The Natchez Trace Parkway, across 444 miles through three states and 10,000 years of North American history.

I do rather envy you the trip. I haven't been able to go down the big creek that far yet. When Dad went, he wasn't allowed to tie up the LST to look, and as for his great-uncles, they weren't exactly tourists.
    Becky Morgan

Comment

This weekend is a Civil War ladies academy being held at Jefferson College in Washington MS, just east of Natchez. They will be camped out, but not giving tours. They won't mind if you see what they are doing while looking at the old buildings.
      It is Spring Pilgrimage in Natchez, so the old homes are on tour. Some are very interesting to see. Natchez had more millionaires per capita than New York just before the war broke out. Natchez is well worth the trip.
      Robert Orrand
      N. B. Forrest Camp 215, SCV
      Civilian Adjunct - Mayor of Dover, Purdy, Raymond, Layette, and more to come... and oh yeah Gettysburg
      4thTN CSA - Co A - Shelby Greys

Comment

You may want to stop between Jackson and Vicksburg around Raymond. There was a fierce scrap in and around Raymond, particularly at Fourteen Mile Creek. Not wildly far would be a trip down US 61 from Vicksburg to Port Gibson.

Regards,
        Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Working...
        X