Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old sword value

Good Day All,

A friend has offered us an old sword, but I'm not sure of the value, especially without a scabbard ..."I have, as best as I can identify, an M1840 Cavalry Sword, specifically an Ames Cavalry Sword, manufactured Chicopee, Mass. 1864" Are there any collectors here that could tell me if I should buy this item as a keepsake? Any help would be appreciated as I know nothing of swords.
    Mfr,
    Judith Peebles.
    No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
    [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Re: old sword value

I think you are looking at a model 1860 judging by the date. Check out this link http://www.midtenrelics.com/ and go to "Blades". You can compare the ones listed to the condition of the one you are being offered. The lack of a scabbard does affect value. You can also check out the other dealers in his links and compare. Some makers are rarer than others so if possible compare with other Ames swords and take into account for the missing scabbard. Hope this helps.
    Greg Myers

Comment

Tom Nardi has a good reference, but he has not updated it in a while.

Regards,
      Kevin French

Comment

Originally posted by Drygoods View Post
        Good Day All,

A friend has offered us an old sword, but I'm not sure of the value, especially without a scabbard ..."I have, as best as I can identify, an M1840 Cavalry Sword, specifically an Ames Cavalry Sword, manufactured Chicopee, Mass. 1864" Are there any collectors here that could tell me if I should buy this item as a keepsake? Any help would be appreciated as I know nothing of swords.
        If you will send me a picture and rough dimensions of the sword I will help you
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

It is probably a M-1860 with a manufacture date of 1864. Depending on condition it could run from 300/400 to around 600. If it had a scabbard it would bring much more. Harry Ridgeway usually has some on his site. http://www.relicman.com/
          Jim Mayo
          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Good Day All,

Many kind thanks for the links and the information about what you think the value might be. A friend of ours who purchased it from a museum wants it to find a good home where it will remain for some time and be appreciated. I have no idea of what to expect, but my first thought was that it would be an ideal item to put away for 50 years. Although I likely may not be here for the bicentennial of the CW, I want to leave something that my grandchildren will enjoy, so am thinking of items more as keepsakes along with their history. The idea came to me when I asked my sons if they wanted me to discard their old living history gear and antique artifacts, or put them away for posterity. The vote was for posterity, so many things apart from family items likely will be added to the large chest.

So, if you've got children, take them to the sesquicentennial so that when the bicentennial comes round, they will explain how they were there for the 150th celebration. Again, many thanks to the folks who have replied, I had no idea of who to ask or where to start looking.
            Mfr,
            Judith Peebles.

Comment

Just looked up Ames Calvary sword. They are offering them with scabbard for 2,000 dollars. Hope this can help.
              Last edited by Mark Lavoie; 03-15-2010, 11:39 PM. Reason: spell check

Comment

Jim Mayo has a good idea, on value as well as looking up CWRelicman to see what dealers are charging (retail).
                Another place to check on what swords like yours are really selling for is eBay. There are always a large number of beasties for sale there, and you can mark them, and then see what they actually go for after the sale
                Bad economy and not really being a necessity for most people would dictate that the value now is not what it was a decade ago.
                Also, these swords, both 1840 and 1860, are reaitively common. I do not know where Mr. Lavoe got his $2000.00 figure, but even for an Ames, generally considered the best of the breed, that is a great deal of money.
                S.Sullivan

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Lavoie View Post
                  Just looked up Ames Calvary sword. They are offering them with scabbard for 2,000 dollars. Hope this can help.
                  Who is "they"?
                  B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Yes, Mr. Mayo hit it right on the head,400.00 dollars would be the cheapest possible price for a Ames Calvary sword. here's where I get my information. info@civilwarpreservations.com With my respect's.

Comment

Hello,
                      You have to take the condition of the handle wrap and missing scabbard into consideration. Tom Nardi restores handles and goes even to the point that one cannot tell if it is a rewrap or not. Personally I would buy one with slight wear to the handle as opposed to that perfect handle look. It is too hard to tell what people have monkey'd with and not these days. It is over 100 years old, it should look like it. If you are going to use it for re-enacting then it may not matter if the handle is original or not, but if purchasing for collectability or value, watch the handle. The scabbard is 30-40% of the value as well, and most collectors want the scabbard. However, nothing makes a better wall hanger than one of these sabers without a scabbard!
                      Hope my two cents helps,
                      Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
                      16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
                      Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Well, the owner says that $900 is the going rate, but will sell it to me for $125. I dunno, sounds good, maybe too good, or it's in sad shape. My husband saw it yesterday but didn't mention it, so I've not come to any decision just yet.
                        Mfr,
                        Judith Peebles.

Comment

Hey Judith,
                          Do you think the fellow would get offended if you took a couple of photos and posted them here? Then you would get the best possible opinion and thoughts of everyone who has replied. It might be a very good deal.
                          Take care,
                          Erik
                          Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
                          16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
                          Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Lavoie
                            Well I hope this works! This is the sword im trying to find out about. I have never used the attachment part of this forum before,so here go's..
                            This has nothing to do with Judith's sword question. Please start another thread.
                            B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Judith, If long term investment is a consideration, you may want to be wary of "bargains". 125.00 as you said sounds to good to be true. Condition will always be a factor in the value of anything of this sort we decide to buy. Low condition items can be difficult to move even at low prices.
                              Some advice I received years ago was to buy the best condition you can afford. If it has problems today they will be there in the future.
                              Last edited by GPM; 03-17-2010, 09:17 AM.
                              Greg Myers

Comment

Working...
                              X