Attention Spencer RIFLE owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Spencer RIFLE owners

Hello All, I am in the ideas stage of organizing a Mounted Living History at Chickamauga portraying the Wilder's Brigade of Mounted infantry. The biggest hurdle for many of us in the mounted side of the hobby for doing this is not many own the Spencer RIFLE. To do this impression correctly everyone would need a Spencer rifle, not the carbine.

This is where you come in. Are there any Spencer rifle owners that would be willing to rent out your rifle for the weekend? Here is what I have envisioned. The renter would pay a set fee for the use of your rifle. They would also sign a form saying if the rifle is damaged they will either pay for repairs or replace the rifle, depending on the situation. You would ship your rifle to a dealer near the event site that has the FFL. I would pick up all of the rifles from this location and record serial numbers and names of the owner. Before the event I would issue out the rifle to participants writing down who used who's rifle. At the end of the weekend they would turn them back into myself. I will check the condition of the rifles making sure they are in just as good condition as when I gave them out. I then will clean all the rifles and send them back to you with your check for the rental fee.

Would anyone be willing to help make this unique impression a reality?? As far as I know there has never been a Wilder's brigade impression correctly done in any numbers.

Thanks
    Dan
    Dan Chmelar
    Semper Fi
    -ONV
    -WIG
    -CIR!

Re: Attention Spencer RIFLE owners

Hey Dan

How about this. I know that there are guys who have spencers who do not have a mount. And there are men who have a mount and not the rifle. You could set up the living history with groups of men doing a rotation of the different demonstrations. If you had 20 men with 10 mounts, the mounts and rifles could be shared among all of the participants. I would think that most guys with the rifles would like to participate in the event rather then just shipping their rifle. You know you have some boys in Wisconsin who would be willing to learn more about mounted drill in order to participate with their spencer rifles.

Jason Reinholz

Comment

Could they be rented from HPR? http://www.hpr.com/ Not sure if they would have them or not.
      I would not be comfortable placing non riders on my horses as I am not insured for that kind of liability.

Chris Talburt

Comment

I have a extra horse from time to time that I would be glad to trade or rent for the event. You do need to know how to ride though.
        Jerry Ross
        Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
        Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Dan,

Next Spring and into Summer have the 150th so and so going full steam for a lot of us. Would the LH be in the late summer or fall??? If so I would be willing to see if I can borrow a mount (oh gawd) and either borrow or purchase said spencer rifle.

Either way excellent idea for a LH at the Chick.
          Herb Coats
          Armory Guards &
          WIG

Comment

Guys,
            I do share the same concerns that Jerry and Chris mentioned. The LH should not be the first time someone puts their butt in the saddle. If you have not ridden before you would need to do so before hand. Saddle time is key! I know that the group of guys that Jason referenced to up here in the Old Northwest that are interested in doing this will be going out with me multiple times before the event to get saddle time and become more familiar and confident on top of that 1,200 pound piece of horse flesh. My initial vision on how this would go has it being more than just a trail ride. We would be doing things at a faster pace than a walk or trot.

I don't say this to try to scare anyone who is enthusiastic about getting in the saddle for this, but you have to remember a horse is a 1,200 pound animal that you never TRULY have full control over. While yes, you have a bit and your legs to control the horse, but if that horse makes up his mind that he doesn't want to listen to you and wants to do something else, he isn't going to listen to you. I have seen some horses do some crazy stuff before.

If you are really serious about this and but never have ridden before, I would say find a place near you that has riding lessons, or hook up with one of the cav troopers on here that lives near to you. I am sure most will be more than willing to help someone that is interested in getting into the mounted side of this CPH wing.

Dan
            Last edited by IowaYank; 03-19-2010, 10:41 AM.
            Dan Chmelar
            Semper Fi
            -ONV
            -WIG
            -CIR!

Comment

Dan,

Thanks for the head's up...
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

I would suggest if one was serious about his, hop on over to the Cav forum on this site and make a post asking if anyone lives near you would be able to help you get some saddle time. While yes,,,,there are some of us on there that do enjoy eating foraging parties for breakfast,,,,,,were not all as big and scary as some make us out!!!! ;-)
                Dan Chmelar
                Semper Fi
                -ONV
                -WIG
                -CIR!

Comment

Yeah I am just short!
                  Jerry Ross
                  Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver