Cribber, horse cribbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cribber, horse cribbing

Sir and ma'am, yes, kinda slow day around here and I guess the sinks are the place for this. A while back another thread, http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...0543#post17o53, brought up the bad habit horses can fall into (cribbing, cribber).:confused_
    Wanted to pass along this detail image of the effects from this habit.
    Once again, a slow day.

The whole image.

Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Re: Cribber, horse cribbing

That is a pretty cool blow up! It's amazing how folks with the know how can manipulate and blow up images to catch those fine details.

What is the date on this image? I ask because my wife pointed out that the woman in the corner of the blown up version appears to be wearing a later style of hat than was common during most of the war.

Take care,
    Tom Craig
    Tom Craig

Comment

I agree with Mr Craig Kudos to those than can do tech stuff!

However. To the image. I will agree that the LOWER rails have been chewed in the fashion of horses, but IMHO, not so the top rail. This appears to have had something completely different happen to it - of special note are the 'slashes' and wedge cuts that appear to have been made by a tool of some description, and purposely.

I would even hazard an opinion that this was done to stop lead line/ropes slipping off as they would have had something to grip/bite onto if pulled.
      Just my sixpence worth.
      Last edited by English Doc; 03-25-2010, 04:32 AM.
      [FONT="Georgia"][B][I][U]Ken Pettengale[/U][/I][/B][/FONT]
      [I]Volunteer Company, UK[/I]

"You may not like what you see, but do not on that account fall into the error of trying to adjust it to suit your own vision of what it ought to have been."
      -- [I][B]George MacDonald Fraser[/B][/I]

Comment

Cribbing and windsucking produce different damage results and a horse can't open his esophagus to suck wind when his head is dropped low....but in this case I opine perhaps that the top rail looks radiused and lacking a planed / cut distinctive edge the round surface shape it makes it tough to bite off chunks like you see bitten from the planks ?

If you are so inclined, might you do the same detail capture of those civilians on the boardwalk next to the Capt of the Port Ofc. ?

Obliged

CJ Rideout
        Tampa, Floirda

Comment

Hallo!

An interesting image.

They must have cleaned up the manure and pee before taking the picture.

:)

I was just on my way out, but one could count the stars on the flag and get an approximate "date" for the image, moreorless.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Yes sir, if my count is correct, I see 35 stars. Nevada becoming the 36th state Oct. 1864.
            Here is a detail of the boardwalk and more rail, wheel barrow and the other side.
            (I've only recently muddled onto how to copy & copy to)

Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
            Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
            Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
            www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

I'll not re-hash the details of cribbing, as it has been covered sufficiently, IMHO, but I am amazed at how detailed these blow ups are. Even with digital technology, I am amazed that the resolution is so full and solid when enlarged since the original photos were not digital.

Mel, I am truly impressed with this. But then again, I ride horses, so what can you say.

thanks,
              Mark
              J. Mark Choate
              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Hallo!

Indeed...

One of the blessings of digital imaging is that we can "zoom in" and capture such rich detail found in Period photographs.

One of the curses is that the "file size" often allowed, allocated, or used in digital-sharing is NUG so low as wipe out the potential for enlarging detail.

Curt
                Detail Fiend Mess
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

The roof on the saloon looks like modern metal roofing.
                  "Bowen's division sustained its reputation by making one of its grand old charges, in which it bored a hole through the Federal army, and finding itself unsupported turned around and bored its way back again" - Gen. Pemberton's chief engineering officer

Sam Looney
                  1st Missouri Battalion
                  Trans-Mississippi Brigade

CWPT

Comment

Working...
                  X