Leather Work Pattern Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Work Pattern Book

I know in earlier threads there has been mention of woodworking pattern books. I was wondering if there are any books out there with patterns to get me started making leather items. I'd like to try making cap boxes, cartridge boxes, ect.. If I make them I want to make them right. I don't have access to any originals and I wouldn't wanna tear one apart to see how its made if I had one. Thanks!
    Captain Andy Witt
    52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
    Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Re: Leather Work Pattern Book

Andy,

This may be of some help

Last edited by Blair; 03-29-2010, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rebelfirefighter07 View Post
      I was wondering if there are any books out there with patterns to get me started making leather items.
      Andy,
      A great book to start with is Al Stohlman's The Art of Hand Sewing Leather ISBN 1-89221491-1. This title is available from Tandy Leather Factory: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/h...-Patterns.aspx .

The LeatherWorker.Net is my favorite leather working forum: http://leatherworker.net/forum/ . Masses of sound advice, good images, tutorials, & workers that don't hide their candle under a bushel.
      [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
      [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
      16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
      22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
      &
      [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
      4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Andy,

You don't state in your posting what skill level you have developed for doing leather work.
        The web site I posted earlier was intended to put you in contact with Eric Myall, the Master Harness Maker at Colonial Williamsburg, VA.
        He has a set of Instructional Videos available that will help take a novice leather worker through the various stages of progressively more difficult tasks of the trade.
        One of these Instructional Videos is titled, "Making a Militia Cartridge Box" (late 18th, early 19th Century Militia type box). The pattern style will no doubt be different, however, the skills and techniques used in the making of such an item will not have changed.
        You may need to look through the site I posted and write down the contact information for Eric Myall and try to contact him individually.
        This suggestion is based solely on what your skill level is for such a project.
        Sorry if there may have been any misunderstanding with my earlir posting,

Comment

I don't think there are any pattern books available, and without actual measurements, photographs of originals can only help you so much.

If you purchase some items from a maker known for making accurate copies of originals then you could use those for a pattern.

You'll need an antique stitch marker with the correct holes per inch as new ones cannot be purchased with more than 7 holes per inch. Don't waste your money on cheap tools from Tandy leather. I second the Stohlman book recommendation. It will also help you select the other tools you need like the correct size needles and thread. I also recommend Hermann Oak leather.
          Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 03-30-2010, 02:54 PM.
          Will Chappell

Comment

Originally posted by 33rdaladrummer View Post
            I don't think there are any pattern books available, and without actual measurements, photographs of originals can only help you so much.

If you purchase some items from a maker known for making accurate copies of originals then you could use those for a pattern.

You'll need an antique stitch marker with the correct holes per inch as new ones cannot be purchased with more than 7 holes per inch. Don't waste your money on cheap tools from Tandy leather. I second the Stohlman book recommendation. It will also help you select the other tools you need like the correct size needles and thread. I also recommend Hermann Oak leather.
            First off, no matter how "good" the reproduction is, it is never a good idea to copy a copy. Original artifacts can be had in poor condition for not a great deal of money. These often are ideal for making patterns from and showing construction methods as they are already coming apart. As an example, I purchased 2 Federal cap pouches off ebay in this type of condition for $40 for both. They can be had.

Antique tools do not need to be purchased and used either. While they are not easy to find, new proper tools for the trade can be found and had, mostly from the UK. These are better choices since there is no tool wear to deal with or account for.

Books are fine for a starting point but like most trades, they are no substitute for hands on supervision and guidance. Find a leathersmith and cultivate a relationship and learn from the man. You will save yourself a great deal in the process.

Dave Myrick

Comment

Dave,

Could you please point me in the direction of where to purchase a new No. 10 (10 stitches per inch) stitch marker? I was under the impression that "they don't make 'em like they used to" and that antique tools in good condition are a better value than new tools. Maybe this is not the case as much with leather tools but a good antique hand plane, for example, is a much better value than most new ones.

Here's a great site with used leatherworking tools:

Will Chappell

Comment

My dad has been doing leather work for about 10 yrs. He's going to help me. I just need patterns to get started. Sorry for not stating skill level earlier.
                Captain Andy Witt
                Blue Ridge Mess

Comment

Originally posted by 33rdaladrummer View Post
                  Dave,

Could you please point me in the direction of where to purchase a new No. 10 (10 stitches per inch) stitch marker? I was under the impression that "they don't make 'em like they used to" and that antique tools in good condition are a better value than new tools. Maybe this is not the case as much with leather tools but a good antique hand plane, for example, is a much better value than most new ones.

Here's a great site with used leatherworking tools:

http://www.proleptic.net/products/index/15?show=500
                  Look for dealers of Joseph Dixon tools. You can get irons and wheels down to 12 spi.
                  Dave Myrick

Comment

Andy,
                    Pick up a copy of the Confederate Sketchbook. I picked up a copy for 3 bucks. It gives dimensions for a CS cartridge box and cap pouch and it has tracings of the box flap and cap pouch. Hope this helps.

Adam Dickerson
                    Adam Dickerson

Comment

I've got a copy but I'm not for sure how to do the corner stitching.
                      Captain Andy Witt
                      Blue Ridge Mess

Comment

C. S. Osborne has made very fine leather tools for over a hundred years. Check out their site: http://www.csosborne.com/.
                        [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
                        [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
                        16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
                        22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
                        &
                        [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
                        4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Working...
                        X