Cabela's strike-anywhere matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabela's strike-anywhere matches

We noticed Diamond strike-anywhere matches at the register on our last visit to Cabela's a week ago (the Wheeling, WV store.) It may be that the other large sporting goods stores are carrying them as well.
    Becky Morgan

Re: Cabela's strike-anywhere matches

We have them at a very reasonable price here at a local hardware store call Von Tobel's.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Becky-

From what I have heard and seen, different states have different policies on the strike-anywhere match. Connecticut, where I live, has banned them as hazardous goods. I hear from others in the reenacting/outdoor-related hobby world, that Massachusetts and Rhode Island in New England are the only ones to have these still available at hardware stores.

They are getting difficult to find, but if you are willing to order from Diamond Brands directly (www.diamondbrands.com) they should be able to help you also.

Yet another thing in our hobby that is now getting harder to find. :confused_

:wink_smil-Johnny
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
      SCAR
      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Yep, I live in TN and had to go to 6 stores before I found them. What will they ban next.
        Russ Dykes
        Keith Stone Guard

6th Mississippi Adjunct 150th Shiloh
        Maryland My Maryland 150th Sharpsburg
        150th Chickamauga Kershaws Brigade
        150th Wilderness and Spotsylvania Courthouse

"Splash" ......Mark Taylor

Comment

Ohio and WV supposedly banned them a while back, but they were definitely labeled as strike-anywhere matches and were right at the registers. It appears that one of the fireworks law amendments may have legalized them again, at least for a while. It's hard to get some things like that shipped, and I thought it might come in handy to know who has them at the counter. Our Cabela's is right off I-70 and not hard to find if you're traveling through and in need of such an item.
          Becky Morgan

Comment

Here in Louisiana, I see them in almost all of the grocery stores I go to. Most of them are locally owned places, but they are readily avaliable here.
            [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"]Jason Thibodeaux[/FONT][/SIZE]
            Independent Rifles
            Swamp Angels
            Pelican Civil War Lodge #1861

Comment

Originally posted by Becky Morgan View Post
              Ohio and WV supposedly banned them a while back,
              Don't know where you got this info..... I can find strike anywhere matches at several locations in central Ohio.
              Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
              John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

About two years ago, when I looked for them at the local store before the Fourth (damp weather and strike on box matches, not a good combination), they all but called the cops. The manager waved a copy of a state fireworks law bulletin at me, told me I was looking for "dangerous ordnance" and said they'd been illegal in Ohio for YEARS (her shouted emphasis.) I hadn't seen any for years, but figured it was a matter of most people wanting the strike-on-box kind or of liabnility insurance. When we went up to get some sparklers and such at Ohio Fireworks, I mentioned the incident. One of the Presuttis rolled her eyes and said it was an accidental consequence of a fireworks law that had caused them a great deal of trouble as well. It appeared to be one of those laws highly susceptible to misinterpretation and local enforcement (read "panic".) At about the same time, I also had a local cop try to tell me it's illegal to own a pound can of black powder. It isn't.

A lot of things that catch fire are illegal in West Virginia, but since the fireworks reform a year and a half or so ago, strike-on-box matches aren't any more.
                Becky Morgan

Comment

Folks,
                  Strike-anywhere matches are considered a hazmat material and must conform to the Federal DOT regs when shipping and I believe that there are regs for storage too. They are still out there but alot of companies have dropped stocking them.
                  Brian Baird

Comment

they are all over ebay, that is how I got mine.
                    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                    X