Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Gunsmithing Advice

Originally posted by Craig L Barry View Post
    This is like reading a dispatch from the Planet of Idiots in some alternate universe.
    I appreciate your observations, but how about replacing that gallon of vinegar with a spoonful of honey. Your words might be better received.

Just sayin'.
    Robert Carter
    69th NYSV, Co. A
    justrobnj@gmail.com
    www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

You know you couldn't be more right.
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Well, I got this gun onto my bench last night and studied it again. I do remember it and it is the original lock and hammer. I know because I had marked them "4" when I took them apart. They did that in the day and I do as well when working on more than 1 at a time.

This was a factory-new gun and the hammer was like that out-of-the-box. I remembered seeing how closely the hammer recess was to the nipple, but thought (obviously wrongly) that the cap would fit under there and did not try it. That is what I get for trusting "Inspector # 2" or whoever their QC was over yonder.

I replaced the hammer last night with another out-of-the-box Armi hammer and it centeres perfectly. I tried forging the short hammer to make it reach but only managed to booger it so bad that I will relegate it to be some sort of a civilian gun hammer or something like that.

Just have to touch this one back up to get it back into like-new shape and get it back out. Sorry about that, Carlton. It was my bad for not checking that better up front.

Comment

Working...
        X