Mold on my Floorcloth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold on my Floorcloth!

Well, I THOUGHT I dried the floorcloth after Backwaters, but apparently not. What I found tonight while getting ready for Franklin was a floorcloth with a pretty good mold problem. Any advice from the forum readers?
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: Mold on my Floorcloth!

Straight vinegar kills mold. Pour some white distilled vinegar straight into a spray bottle, spray on the moldy area, let sit in the Sun for awhile and rinse it off, some light scrubbing with a soft brush might be needed. I have used this method on Brogans, Leathers, and shelter halves as well. Vinegar is a good natural cleaner.
    Last edited by PetePaolillo; 04-11-2010, 03:08 PM.
    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

I'd unfold it and hang it in the sun. Most of the mold/mildew should dry enough to brush off. If you can hang it out in a rain, so much the better, but wipe it down with a soft rag and let it sun-dry THOROUGHLY before you fold it for the big event.

If there's still mold on it after it dried for a day in the sun and you brush it down, try wiping it with diluted vinegar and letting it dry again. A non-period hair dryer will help matters along, but make sure you don't overheat it.
      Becky Morgan

Comment

Each year when I do my big fall dye run and Endless School Days, we're set up for 8-10 days in the field, with painted canvas floorcloths all over the place--on the ground, on the woodpile, sheltering the livestock, providing sunshade---all at a site at the confluence of two rivers on a long peninsula. Everything molds.

If the above suggestions fail---these cloths can be machine washed, in hot water with Pinesol or bleach. Now, its not something to do often, as it does wear the paint, giving your cloth the look of years of foot traffic. But, it is a solution if the mold is stubborn. In most cases, this is an annual procedure as I finish the fall season.

My floorcloths see fairly heavy use, and are subjected to a lot of mordant and direct hot water when I'm draining freshly dyed wool. I recoat them about every three years with new linseed oil.
        Last edited by Spinster; 04-10-2010, 10:13 PM.
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Vinager works the best.It will kill the mold and any bacteria growing the the floorcloth,and will also prevent mold from growing back.I used it on my groundcloth once and haven't had problems sense.
          Cullen Smith
          South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Ask the maker for a refund! :wink_smil
            Joe Smotherman

Comment

Pat - a combination of vinegar and sun should do it. Spraying vinegar on the affected areas will get you started, and the UV rays from the sun (make sure you put it where it will get good direct sunlight) will do the rest. Some light brushing to get off any residual spores should finish up the job.
              Eric Fair

"A word in earnest is as good as a speech." Charles Dickens - [I]Bleak House[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
                Ask the maker for a refund! :wink_smil
                Easy now! Let's don't go all crazy here....
                Andrew "Abner" Martin
                AKM Dry Goods

Comment

I'd burn it, because I'm sure its a piece of junk from Abner!
                  [B]Justin Morris[/B]
                  [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
                  "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

"Mold on my Floorcloth!"....that sounds like soldier slang for venereal disease.
                    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Patty Cakes
                      Id just let is dry out and brush it off. Once dry hit it with a dry brush as suggested. Wash it and let it dry. Then give it another few coats of linseed oil!
                      Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Pat,

Ditto everyone else, vinegar and sunlight (and some brushing)are about the best things. You may have some staining left but the mold should be dead.
                        Robert Collett
                        8th FL / 13th IN
                        Armory Guards
                        WIG

Comment

Working...
                        X