Original Enfield Lock Replacement Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Enfield Lock Replacement Parts

I have two original locks that need mainsprings (2) and a tumbler replacement. Since the P-H lock parts seemed to have dried up, can Euroarms parts fit or be modified to fit - or is the variable quality a problem. Or are they different dimensionally from the originals? Both locks are Birmingham made with one marked J.Smith on the inside of the plate.

If this question has been answered previously, as in the 54 page 'Monster Enfield Defarbing', let me know about what page I can find the answer.

I do have a small lathe and a mill and I might be able to make a tumbler (after swearing enough to blister the paint in the shop). I have built a 1817 Common Rifle from TRS parts. If nothing is available as replacements I suppose TRS is still an option. Spring hardening & tempering seems to be a dark art, but it finally worked on the Common rifle.

Thanks, Mike Spray
    Stranded in southern Kallifornia

Nothing is impossible for those who don't have to do it.

Re: Original Enfield Lock Replacement Parts

Well a Parker-Hale spring, or Euroarms (copy of P-H) are as likely to not work as work.
    Your best bet for original parts is Lodgewood Mfg, and I would send the lock so they
    can dig around and find a mainspring that fits. With any Birmingham lock it is hit
    or miss as they were grade two/class two hand-fitted arms.

Plus, you would want an original spring in an original lock since the English were
    famous for their hand-made forged springs. The reproduction springs are investment
    cast, and are considerably weaker. A gripe by gun-maker W. Greener about inferior Belgian
    Enfields being fobbed off as B'ham guns and sold overseas was that buyers would think the poorer
    Belgian springs were English made, and affect their perception of English workmanship. Isaac
    Hollis and Greener both successfully sued and were awarded damages against an
    unscrupulous gun-maker caught in the act of passing Belgian guns off as English.

It was easier than you would think because the proof houses had reciprocal agreements,
    hence Belgian houses would send barrels to be proofed at B'ham, knowing they would be
    marked with B'ham proof marks. This enabled the ensuing fraud to be committed. The
    English had the same right to have their barrels proofed at Liege, but why would they? The
    proof house just wanted the fee...Anyway, the Brits were famous for their springs so get
    an original forged mainspring to replace the ones you need. It is well worth the difference in cost.
    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 04-19-2010, 06:45 PM.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Re: Original Enfield Lock Replacement Parts

Thanks Craig....I feared that might be the assessment (and $$ assessment). I can't believe a 148 year old mainspring would let me down like that.

Thanks, Mike Spray

Comment

Working...
      X