Loose fitting bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Loose fitting bayonet

Geez, lighten up, Tom. Nobody is calling you a liar. You are mistaken though, if you have ever blued a gun barrel you would
    know barrel bluing does not solidify into a clogging substance. That's all. Good luck fitting your bayonet. The pointy end is
    on top.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

The point everyone seems to be missing is that the musket WAS NOT REBLUED during defarb. The bluing was removed and the musket was left bright.
      By the way, I have blued a rifle. I know bluing a rifle would not leave a solidified mass in the barrel. I was saying that possibly when the bluing was removed some of the removed bluing could have found it's way inside the barrel. The mass, or clog, or call it what you will was for the most part deep blue in color and was not the residue left in a barrel from being fired. I have spent many hours cleaning black powder and other firearms.
      Let me say once more that the musket was NOT reblued. Are we clear on that? It was left with the "armory bright" finish after the bluing was removed.
      I just have an issue being told that "gunk" could not be in the barrel of an unfired NIB Enfield when it was.
      Maybe I can remember which direction the pointed end goes.
      Tom Dodson
      P.S.
      Mods, please do everyone a favor and close, bend, fold and mutilate this thread. I deeply regret ever starting it.
      Tom Dodson

Comment

Any chance that what was in the barrel was hardend grease or "gunk" left over from the rifling process during manufacture?
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I do not know what it was. I only know it was there. Someone suggested it could be polishing or buffing compound. It was 6" to 8" down the barrel and was not the residue left when a black powder weapon is fired.
          Thanks for the reply Jim.
          Let's please let this drop.
          Tom Dodson
          Tom Dodson

Comment

Working...
          X