Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wwchd

What would Charles Heath do?

Its been nearly a year (May 24th) since our friend, mentor, agitator and hobby leader passed away. Charles was everywhere, attending events all over the map and posting comments on just about all the forums. He's been missed in this last year. He will be missed in the future.

One of the answers Charles gave most often to questions was "Get to an EBUFU event!" Now, you may have some disagreement with what "EBUFU" meant, but we all know what Charles meant by it. So, using Charles' definition, I ask you:

Have you supported this hobby and attended an EBUFU event this year?

If so, good. Now, go to another one.

If not, why? What is holding you back? Don't think you'll make the cut? Don't think your kit measures up? Can't stand old so-and-so in command? Excuses! Get off the couch, get registered, ask for help in meeting guidelines, ignore old so-and-so (to be sure, he is ignoring YOU!) and GET TO AN EBUFU EVENT!!
    Joe Smotherman

Re: wwchd

Joe, we where thinking about the Ole' Bastard at Carlisle last weekend. A year ago in April was the last time I sat a table and listened to Chawls talk about Bachelor Cooking Rule Number 1 - Burnt Food Sucks! That cabin in Pennsylvania with a table festooned with pies and jugs will always hold a special place in my heart.

Oh Yeah... going to events is much more fun that posting about them too.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

The personal qualities which drove Chuck H's value, in the inclusive manner he did it, are not clearly evident to many men in today's society.

CJ Rideout
      Tampa, Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt_Sullivan View Post
        Oh Yeah... going to events is much more fun that posting about them too.
        My favorite moment at any event:
        My gear is on my back,
        My musket is on my shoulder,
        My pipe is packed with the first bowl of the weekend,
        After hearing the "beep" of the last hit of the "lock" button on the fob on my car keychain, my car keys are put away and I'm walking away from the 'real world' and toward the unknown of the event to come, my friends, and putting into action all the "work" that it takes to really participate in the hobby... the reading, practicing, studying, sewing, rolling, folding, shopping, travelling, the phone calls, emails, and organizing.

This hobby gives us the chance to excercise our bodies, as well as our brains, practice leadership, teach, learn, and on, and on...
        You don't get to do any of that in front of the glowing tube or, for that matter, on a golf course.

Golf Sucks...

I'll stick with reenacting.
        :D
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

John,
          I think that is the best I have ever heard this hobby summed up. I most certainly agree with your synopsis.
          [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"]Jason Thibodeaux[/FONT][/SIZE]
          Independent Rifles
          Swamp Angels
          Pelican Civil War Lodge #1861

Comment

Originally posted by PVT.THIB View Post
            I think that is the best I have ever heard this hobby summed up. I most certainly agree with your synopsis.
            I'm glad you like it.

This has been a tough year for me for reasons that have nothing to do with the hobby. However, I found myself going to the Franklin LH last month after my wife told me that I "needed" to go to the event (smart lady, by the way!). The closer I got to the event site, the more anxious I got to be out of the car, in my uniform, and among my friends. Drilling, boiling coffee, telling jokes, singing songs, and watching kids' eyes light up as I handed them a musket and told them it was original... all of that made the weekend for me (I'm sure my eyes bugged out when Woodburn passed around some of the items from his collection, just like those kids!)

...But the experience of the event started with me walking away from the car.
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Pete,

Don't forget bachelor cooking rule #2...

Bob Bowser
              Bob Bowser

Comment

well, I was trying to post a pic, but it didn't work out ...

Joe Smotherman

Comment

Just guessing here, but I think he'd be registered for "In the Van".
                  Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
                  X