Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1816/1822 16" bayonet blades retrofitted to m1842 sockets

All,
    I picked up a bayonet this weekend at a local event, and it was tagged as 1816 bayonet converted to 1842. Has anyone ever heard of this? I couldn't beat the price. It appears to possibly be real, but i need to get some second opinions. I will post pics later on. Thanks!
    V/R
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Re: 1816/1822 16" bayonet blades retrofitted to m1842 sockets

Brandon,

Never heard of one being converted. It would pose a significant problem as the bayonet studs are on opposite sides of the barrel when comparing an 1816 to an 1842 musket. Putting a bayonet for the former on the latter would place the blade to the left of the muzzle instead of the right. Not to mention the lack of a locking ring and the recess at the back of the channel. There are some significant differences that would be difficult to overcome through any conversion process I can envision.
    Dan Wambaugh
    Wambaugh, White, & Company
    www.wwandcompany.com
    517-303-3609
    Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Re: 1816/1822 16" bayonet blades retrofitted to m1842 sockets

Hey Dan,
      I 100% agree and I should have been a little more clear. The socket of the bayonet is a 1842 socket with an 1816/1822 blade attached (and really, I am not convinced it is a m1816/22 blade as it could be any 18th/19th century 16" blade). I can't find my dang digital camera to post pictures. What doesn't make sense to me is that if it is a totally repro bayonet, who would take the time to put a 16" blade( and the blade is unlike anything I have seen reproduced) on a '42 socket? The metal is definitely spring steel, but the biggest reason I got it was that I have an original '42 bayonet with no locking ring that is in "relic" condition. I payed $85.00 for this bayonet in question so it was a good deal I guess. At the very least it is a good conversation piece.
      Talking to a friend tonight, he brought up that maybe it could have been a bayonet that at some point had broken, (pre-war) in some state militia somewhere, and a blade was brazed on at the elbow. I don't know, it was just too interesting of a deal to pass up. At the WORST, at least I can stack arms with it. So Dan, or anyone, let me know if I was dooped. I know Civil War smoothbores, and really hope I wasn't just schooled. Thanks!
      V/R
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
      X