What is a "Com'y Sergt?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a "Com'y Sergt?"

I am doing some research and keep running across the rank of "Com'y Sergt." and "Comm Sgt" alongside "Quartermaster Sergt" My guess is it is "Commissary Sergt" but can't be sure. One man was promoted to "Q.M. Sergt" in Oct '62 and then to "Com Sergt" in Nov '62. He also is listed as as "Q.M. Sergt"

Any ideas?

Re: What is a "Com'y Sergt?"

Todd,

I think you've got it. Commissary sergeant sounds like the only logical choice.
    Dan Wambaugh
    Wambaugh, White, & Company
    www.wwandcompany.com
    517-303-3609
    Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

The Commissary Sergeant was historically responsible for the receipt, recording and distribution of rations and related supplies procured by the Commissary Dept. In addition, for the Commissary Dept property such as scales, weights, measures, tools, forms, etc. He was also responsible for storage of the rations in such a way that they didn't spoil, get lost or stolen before issuing them. If there was fresh meat he was in charge of seeing that it was properly butchered. He did all the requisite paperwork to account for the supplies that passed through his department.

QM Sgt would have broader supply system responsibilities, almost anything other than weapons, accoutrements, etc
      which were handled by the Ordnance Department. Tents, shovels, uniforms, etc--slightly different job than the Com'y Sgt.

Check out www.usregulars.com/library, beginning with paragraph 495 of "Customs of Service for Non-commissioned Officers and Soldiers."
      Maybe Schnapps can weigh in, this sort of matter is in his wheelhouse.
      Last edited by Craig L Barry; 05-28-2010, 09:00 AM.
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Hallo!

I was just studying French, so my mind is fried and it is late.

IIRC, only the cavalry and artillery were authorised commissary sergeants, and while there is a formal rank for them, there is no insignia (they wear either their three stripe sergeant's chevrons or "borrow" the Quartermaster Sergeant ones).

However, it appears that they were sometimes added to the infantry and attached to, with, the QM sergeant at the regimental (sometimes company?) levels. Which I think Kautz comments on in 1865.

Anyways, now I have something to research tomorrow.

Ou est les toilettes?

:)

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Great! Thanks for the help. That was what I was guessing was the case. All of the guys I have found like this were in the 9th KY US Inf and the titles seem to have been alternately used on different muster rolls depending on the Copyist. My guess is they used the titles interchangeably themselves and the Copysists just guessed at the correct title. The positon was a Field & Staff position, that much I have determined for fact regardless of what correct title they went by.

Comment

Working...
          X