Winter Gauntlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Gauntlet

I am currently trying to interpret a pattern for a pair of knitted winter gauntlets (for a man?). It seems the numbers are a bit off. Do any of you gentlemen of the forum have or made a pair of these?

Winter Gauntlet
    Peterson's Magazine 1857
    Illustration, pg 101
    Directions, 166

lr=&as_drrb_is=b&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=1857&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=1857&as_br\
    r=1&cd=1#v=onepage&q=winter%20gauntlet&f=false

Materials - Three ounces of four-ply fleecy dark-gray or dark-blue; two pins,
    No. 9; and two No. 11. For pattern see front of number.
    Cast on thirty-eight stitches on pins No. 8; knit in brioche stitch until nine
    inches are completed; then with No. 11 pins knit seven inches more, and cast
    off; join up on the wrong side leaving a space of about two inches in the part
    last knitted for the thumb.

Reading these directions the gauntlet would come out 16 inches long!
    It is my opinion that there is more information in period directions and illustrations than we think. At first I thought they were for a woman, but the 7" for the "hand" would be better suited for a man, YES or NO? The length for the "arm" is yet to be determined. If you have a pair of these I would like to know the length.
    Thanks,
    Susan Armstrong

Re: Winter Gauntlet

I have large hands for a woman; in fact, I wear a men's medium when I can find unisex gloves. These would be about an inch short of the tip of my middle finger and would cover my entire forearm to near the elbow, depending on how much the side to side stretch affects the fit. Since the pattern specifies dark gray or blue, the pattern sounds suited to a man.
    Becky Morgan

Comment

Working...
    X