No announcement yet.

Wearing Originals vs. Reproductions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing Originals vs. Reproductions....

Which do you prefer?
    I'm always a little worried that exposure/elements will cause damage...but must everything be kept under glass?
    Do you wear reproductions, but carry original (smaller things) like watches, pocketknives etc.

I'd like to hear your opinions/thoughts! :)
    [B][FONT=Courier New]~Mia Marie[/FONT][/B]
    Historical Interpreter

Re: Wearing Originals vs. Reproductions....

Hallo!

Speaking for my wife... ;) :)

In Ye Olden Daze which were somewher between the Way Back Daze, she was a collector, reenactor, and N-SSA national and regional dress competition competitor/winner in either reproduction or original.

And, if one spins the Hands of Time back for enough, there was a time when women's fashion were either NUG original class or do-it-yourself class as there were not the vendors with off-the-rack or custom order clothing and accessories like today...

Although not much questioned at the time, with hindsight, wearing original ACW clothing, shoes, and "accessories" was (is) not very responsible, conservationist, or preservationist as:

-wear puts strain on seams, stitching, and weakened fabric
    -the wearer adds destructive salts through sweat
    -the wearer exposes the item to harmful UV rays
    -the wearer exposes them to rain and the elements
    -the wearer drags hems through dirt and mud
    -the wearer may wear them while eating and spill stuff on them
    -the wearer may also just be extending the life of the item beyond its life, asking for damage or ruin

and

-as with firearms, clothing with 150 years of age, wear, and "patina" is not "authentic" as it does not look like it did when it was actually being worn and used...

At any rate, the risk of damage takes away from preserving and conserving stuff for the Present and particularly the Future.

On the other hand, more "durable" and less rare stuff like jewelry, watches, knives can fall under the same problems as clothing, but more times than not losing something can be a greater risk than having sunshine damage one's pocket knife.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt

(My wife dropped out long before the N-SSA eliminated original competitions. They had added "1st Person" to the judging, and she HATED it. :) )
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I always carry an original time piece (repros aren't even close and matching ones with post war serial numbers don't cut it), original watch chain (dated by hallmark), original coins, occasionally original script, many original buttons on my clothes, original reading spectacles and case, original flatware (maker marked), original new testament (1860 dated), original match safe, original bayonet, and I used to carry an original musket but retired it. Everything else is repro.
      Matt Woodburn
      Retired Big Bug
      WIG/GHTI
      Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
      "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

I carry an original English silver pocket watch from 1856, and totally agree with Matt. I have a late war cape made from original homespun with original buttons, and a original musket tool (nipple wrench) for my 42 Springfileld. I also carry a few original pre-war books and publications in my camp library which are in my field desk. For my field desk I use several original items from inkwells to candle holder, and spectacles. I have kicked around original waistcoats for formal affairs where wear on the original would be marginal if at all. I'd never wear an original garment into the field.

I carry an original m-1850 french (Klingenthal) Infantry officer's sword with a repro scabbard from Legendary Arms.
        Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
        16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
        Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

I used to carry an original key wind pocket watch until the crystal was cracked and I to replace it. Now, especially with a soldier impression, I have to agree with Curt and the preservation is more important to me.
          Frank Siltman
          24th Mo Vol Inf
          Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
          Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
          Company of Military Historians
          Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Hallo!

And, at one time I was a cannibal...

As a former custom gun builder and restorer of originals, I frequented vendors who made a living breaking down original weapons because their parts were in demand by custom builders and restorers and sold for 3-5 times as parts what the whole gun could be had for.

While I may have furthered the lives of some guns by restoring them, and while I may have justified or given permission to myself at the time, that vendors were 'Just" recycling damaged guns and "Poorman" or "Famers'" shotguns that were post War cutdowns, I have contributed to the demise of sound, intact originals.

But yes, sometimes with "soldiers' personal possessions," there are NO repro's available at all- and more authentic minded folk have to fill the gap with original items.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Of the original items in my collection, I put careful thought into what original items I bring to an event. Some items only come out for blanket displays. Some, like my match safe come all the time. Other items depend on the type of event and how much wear and tear or chance of damage I anticipate. Weather forcasts are also a deciding factor.
              Brad Ireland
              Old Line Mess
              4th VA CO. A
              SWB

Comment

Disassociated parts is one thing, tearing down an original for its parts is another. I see nothing wrong with improving
                a reproduction musket with an original lock, hammer or sling swivels if those are salvaged parts from a damaged or
                non-serviceable original.

Another area where originals can be used is the bayonet. Original bayonets are greatly superior to the made in India
                garbage. They way we use bayonets (or don't use them) they are not exposed to the opportunity for much damage.
                Clothing or anything of the sort (hats, gloves, socks) I would shy away from for the reasons mentioned. If damaged
                or lost, so is an important part of the material culture of the time period.
                Craig L Barry
                Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I carry an original matchsafe, period image, and a bayonet.
                  Zimmerman (the gunsmith) once asked me why I wanted to pay him to file down my repro Enfield's sight so it would fit my newly purchased bayonet at the AHT event. I bit my tounge and looked at a worker in his tent who had a look of shock on his face. A bayonet isn't going to face the same wear and tear as a musket will. Even to buy a servicable firearm, it's just too much compared to buying a defarbed weapon. I think Living Histories are great times to bring original items, but for an EFUBU/Farb-fest I would hate to bring out anything that could face irreversable damage.
                  Jason David

Peter Pelican
                  36th Illinois Co. "B"
                  Prodigal Sons Mess
                  Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

I carry a 1821 English Rifle Officers Sword with heavy Patina. This Sword is spot on, and holds many ref to being used on both sides. The Patina has recieved critisim while the AAAG on Division Staff before.. But, actions in battle carry heavy weight than the look of the sword.

Also Carry a Original Pin Fire Pistol. its a small 7mm and would be all a officer would need to carry in the event of personal protection. Its small, light, and looks great..

Add in Buttons (federal) and match safes that rounds out the "original" items.. As for the Buttons, those were going for about 1$ a pop in the early 90's... grabbed several and just continue to cut off jackets as they are original...

Cheers,
                    [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
                    [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Skip,
                      Those rifle officer swords are the same pattern (I believe) as the "non-regulation" Federal foot officer swords (with the Solingen/Clauberg marked blades) that have been discussed recently. IIRC, the Brits used those swords into the early 20th Century, so it is not too difficult to find an original in good condition for a reasonable price.

I also have some garments with original buttons, trouser/vest buckles, and I use original match safes. From time to time, I will carry an original musket, but those are more for LH events, or when I know the weather will be dry. At Franklin this year, I handed a kid my Lorenz. When I told him it was original, his eyes got as big as saucers... That was fun for me!!
                      John Wickett
                      Former Carpetbagger
                      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by Dbackfed View Post
                        I think Living Histories are great times to bring original items, but for an EFUBU/Farb-fest I would hate to bring out anything that could face irreversable damage.
                        True; I've seen more original items at LH events moreso than larger events...
                        [B][FONT=Courier New]~Mia Marie[/FONT][/B]
                        Historical Interpreter

Comment

Hello,
                          It seems my use of original items seems to follow suit with those of earlier posts. Those that I carry routinely on the field are: an 1865 American-made keywind watch, my matchsafe, the bayonet for a '61 Springfield, a musket tool, period wiper,and the NYS Militia buttons on my shell jacket. In 21 years of reenacting, I've only lost one original button. That happened about three weeks ago. I bought them back in the early 90's for $2 a piece, but have since found more at antique sales at Malls, etc for way less. I admit, I give original items I use a little more attention and care to prevent damage, especially the timepiece. But the items I carry seem to hold up well and can recommend their use in the field.

Dan Wilkosz
                          49th NYSV

Comment

There are a few original items that I will use: my brooch is a repaired original with teeny ruby chips (I need to get one replaced, actually), and as the early 20th century repair decreases its value as a period piece to nearly nothing, and such inexpensive bits of jewelry were bog common, I don't mind using it for primarily indoor events. I would also like to find a few pre-ban ivory thimbles for summer use.

Most items, though, I don't use for living history purposes, for all the reasons Cannibal Curt listed earlier. The patina issue is a huge one for me, aesthetically! If something should look newish in the 1860s, then an original, with the extra fifteen decades of age, will not suit for recreating the past. I prefer high-quality repro items for the vast, vast majority of my material culture options.
                            Regards,
                            Elizabeth Clark

Comment

When protraying an officer, my Officers Frock has original buttons and at times have carried my 1850's French porro prism binoculars. The leather had to be repaired on them, but the view is still fantastic!
                              Micah Trent
                              Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
                              Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

Working...
                              X