Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CW Era Humor

Hello,

After recently viewing the movie “The Conspirator” , I realized I never read the play “Our American Cousin”, which also got me thinking about mid-19th century American humor. This lead me to remember an old document I compiled many years ago which consists of excerpts from Harper’s Weekly “Humors of the Day”. When I copied these I was thinking about the differences between our ideas of what is considered funny (really a very a subjective thing anyway) compared to mid-19th century notions of humor. I guess it is also important to realize that just because the following was printed in a popular newspaper doesn’t mean everyone who read them actually found them funny.

My note at the beginning of these say they were copied from Harper’s Weekly, ca. Jan. 1863.

“It is singular how rapidly some young gentlemen from the country lose their color when visiting the large cities. They go there green, and invariably come away done very brown.”

“ Momma”, said Harry, “how fat Amelia has grown!” “Yes,” replied his mother; “but don’t say fat dear, say stout!”. At the dinner table on the following day Harry was asked if he would take any fat. “No, thank you,” said Harry; “‘I’ll take some stout!! “

“Say, Jack can you tell us what’s the best thing to hold two pieces of rope together?” - “I guess knot, Jack.”

“For a lady to sweep her carpet with embroidered under-sleeves would be considered indecently dirty; but to drag the pavement with her skirt seems to be very genteel.”

“What kind of fever have those who wish to get their names in print? – Type-us fever.”

“Few ladies are so modest as to be unwilling to sit in the lap of ease and luxury.”

“Why is a bird a greedy creature? “– “ Because it never eats less than a peck.”

“Why is the sun like a good loaf?” – “Because it’s light when it rises.”

“A man so intoxicated that he can’t hold up his head is a tip-top fellow”.

“How often do you knead bread?” asked one house-keeper of another. “How often? Why I might say we need it continually;” replied the other.

“A promising young man may do very well, perhaps. – A paying one much better.”

“What light could not possibly be seen in a dark room? – “An Israelite!”

A man with a scolding wife, when inquired of respecting his occupation, said he kept a “hot-house”.

With what two animals do you always go to bed? – Two calves!

“Why is the cook at the Palace like a man sitting on the top of St. Paul’s? – Because both are in a high ‘cool and airy’ situation” [Think about it……..culinary]

“My first is a ruffian that riots in blood; My second has a rough coat, and is the son of the wood; My whole is a phantom that scares you by night, When the tapers burn blue and the moon gives pale light.”
    A bug-bear! [If you don’t know, look it up].

Hope some of you found this interesting...
    Last edited by BobRoeder; 04-24-2011, 12:14 PM.
    Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Re: CW Era Humor

Originally posted by BobRoeder View Post
    “ Momma”, said Harry, “how fat Amelia has grown!” “Yes,” replied his mother; “but don’t say fat dear, say stout!”. At the dinner table on the following day Harry was asked if he would take any fat. “No, thank you,” said Harry; “‘I’ll take some stout!! “
    Okay, that one made me laugh out loud.

I've often thought that if one can read the Humors of the Day (or the Editor's Drawer, etc.) and get most of the jokes, it's a sign that one has crossed some sort of rubicon on the journey to understanding the 19th century.

By the way, it seems that the Humors of the Day sometimes have an English, rather than American, slant (not the ones quoted above though, which seem to be a particularly good crop). Anyone else noticed that and know whether they were occasionally stolen from Punch or something?

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com
    Hank Trent

Comment

"The Life of Billy Yank" has a couple of examples from soldier's newspapers:

From the "Uncondition S. Grant":

"If you wish to keep your oldest boy from walking in his sleep, let your servant girls be as old and ugly as possible"

And from "The Tri-Weekly Camp Journal":

"Have you a fellow feeling in your bosom for the poor women of Utah?" asked a speaker of the sister of Mrs. Parlington.
      "Get out, you insulting rascal," said she. "I'll have you know I don't allow fellows to be feeling in my bosom. Oh, dear!"

Pretty much the kind of humor one would expect in camps full of young men.
      Nathan Bruff

[email]Nbruff@gmail.com[/email]

Comment

There are also the "cartoons" (w/ political or social commentary-types) found in The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War (ed. Richard Ketchum, narr. Bruce Catton, 1960); received my copy as a gift around 1970 when I was a very young reenactor-in-the-making.

I wish I could post these or find an on-line source for them. The one found on pages 22-23 is a very large, two-page cartoon illustrating/lampooning many aspects of American life. Also, the political cartoon on pg 41 showing "Liberty, the Fair Maid of Kansas in the hands of the Border Ruffians" (portrayed by Marcy, Buchanan, Peirce, Cass, and Douglas); and another on pg. 48 showing Horace Greeley carrying Lincoln on a rail into a lunatic asylum. Sometimes the humor is very apparent, other times quite elusive.

Check out this site:

Across time and around the globe, humans have built vast visual worlds. Using a diverse set of original research skills, from fieldwork to close visual analysis, we unlock their meanings.

and this one:

Last edited by BobRoeder; 04-24-2011, 12:53 PM.
        Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

It was funny to see how some of these jokes are basically just puns but in 19th century terms and even some that would make sence to people today. I guess one would expect to hear of more jokes like those that Nathan posted, being that these were camps full of young men, and just men in general.
          Jonathan Bachmann

The Jefferson Guards

Comment

From the Macomb Eagle, May 4, 1861:

“If I should be drafted into service what should you do?” said a gentleman to his wife lately. “Get a substitute for you, I suppose,” was the reply; whereupon the worse half changed the subject of conversation."
            Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
            My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Harrison Flag [Marshall, Tx], January 6,1860, p.1, c.2.
              "If you don't want to get angry.., never argue with a block head".
              Link to this newspaper.
              [Marshall] Texas Republican, January 14, 1860. p.1, c.4.
              "It is a waste of raw materials to put five dollars worth of hat on ten cents' worth of brains."
              Link for the above newspaper.
              Thanks to V.Betts for the above newspaper transcriptions.

"Mounted Infantry"

Address for this image, http://www.archive.org/stream/little...e/170/mode/1up.
              Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
              Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
              Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
              www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Louisiana Democrat [Alexandria, La], January 18, p. 1, c. 4
                How to Open oysters.
                "Talk of opening oysters," said old Hurricane, "why nothing's easier, if you only know how."
                "And how's how?" inquired Straight."
                "Scotch snuff," answered old Hurricane, very sententiously. "Scotch snuff. Bring a little of it ever so near their noses, and they'll sneeze their lids off."
                "I know a genius," observed Meister Karl, "who has a better plan. He spreads the bivalves in a circle, seats himself in the centre, and begins spinning a yarn. Sometimes it's an adventure in Mexico-sometimes a legend of love-sometimes a marvelous stock transaction. As he proceeds the"natives" get interested-one by one they gape with astonishment at the tremendous and direful whoppers which are poured forth, and as they gape, my friend whips 'em out, peppers 'em and swallows 'em."
                "That'll do," said straight, with a long sigh-"I wish we had a bushel of the bivalves here now-they'ed open easy."

Thanks to Vicki Betts...http:https://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/alexa...a_democrat.htm
                Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Working...
                X