Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anymore Quality US Eagle Buttons Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anymore Quality US Eagle Buttons Out There?

The majority of those buttons I sell go to the Western National Parks Association.
    Jim Kindred

Comment

Ian

Those buttons are the result of worn out dies and crappy quality control. I don't see how an manufacturer of ANYTHING would allow a product like that go any were but the scrap pile!
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Gents,

I know this post originally started with regards to Federal eagle buttons but I thought this might be the place to mention something I've noticed about several reproduction cuff size, Virginia State seal muffin buttons that I purchased from S&S Sutler awhile back. When I looked closely I noticed that the state motto "Sic Semper Tyrannis" running along the bottom of ALL the buttons I have actually reads "Set Semper Tyrannis". No my eyes are not playing tricks on me, and I couldn't believe it when I first saw it either. What?! Are you kidding me? Has anyone else noticed this? I have larger coat size Virginia buttons as well and while the stamp itself is poor quality, at least they got the lettering right. In my nineteen years of reenacting I've seen quantity outweigh quality more and more each year and it's hard to swallow. Is it too late to turn things around or do we have to play with the cards we've been dealt?

Josh Sawyer
        Liberty Rifles
        Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastcampaigner View Post
          What?! Are you kidding me? Has anyone else noticed this?
          Probably not. I actually had to get out a jeweler's loupe, which is 10X, to read the writing on one of those buttons which fortunately for me had the correct word on it.

Can any of this be turned around? It sure can and I will do what I can until at least 2016 after that I may retire.
          Last edited by JimKindred; 05-15-2011, 12:00 AM.
          Jim Kindred

Comment

Gents,

When I looked closely I noticed that the state motto "Sic Semper Tyrannis" running along the bottom of ALL the buttons I have actually reads "Set Semper Tyrannis".
            I just checked all of mine....they came from Jim at Military Warehouse. Whewwwww....they have the correct phrase...I knew the larger buttons were correct...but I had never checked the smaller ones.
            Luke Gilly
            Breckinridge Greys
            Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Originally posted by lukegilly13 View Post
              I just checked all of mine....they came from Jim at Military Warehouse. Whewwwww....they have the correct phrase...I knew the larger buttons were correct...but I had never checked the smaller ones.
              Even if they had been wrong, I don't think it would have caused the earth to wobble on its axis. :) With all the major problems in reenacting I would not let one letter off on a tiny button ruin my day.

One thing I will caution folks on, I have no control over vendors claiming to stock my buttons. I have had cases of vendors saying their buttons came from me but after checking I have no record of having sold buttons to them. In talking with Dan privately about the General Service buttons I do plan on putting a back mark on them to aid in preventing this. It will be in period style but will not be the name of an actual Civil War period company. Yeah, I know, some anal types would prefer a reproduction right down to the makers mark but I do not agree, it makes it much to easy for such to be sold as originals.
              Last edited by JimKindred; 05-15-2011, 09:06 AM.
              Jim Kindred

Comment

Gents, I know this post originally started with regards to Federal eagle buttons but I thought this might be the place to mention something I've noticed about several reproduction cuff size, Virginia State seal muffin buttons that I purchased from S&S Sutler awhile back. When I looked closely I noticed that the state motto "Sic Semper Tyrannis" running along the bottom of ALL the buttons I have actually reads "Set Semper Tyrannis". No my eyes are not playing tricks on me, and I couldn't believe it when I first saw it either. What?! Are you kidding me? Has anyone else noticed this? I have larger coat size Virginia buttons as well and while the stamp itself is poor quality, at least they got the lettering right. In my nineteen years of reenacting I've seen quantity outweigh quality more and more each year and it's hard to swallow. Is it too late to turn things around or do we have to play with the cards we've been dealt?
                Josh Sawyer
                Liberty Rifles
                I have Virgina State Seal muffin cuff size buttons that I purchased from Blockade Runner recently for a new coat I'm making myself and they too have the "Set Semper Tyrannis" motto. It's not something that is very noticeable, but I could read it plainly with my own eyes, no glasses needed.

So, S&S Sutler and Blockade Runner both have the muffin VA cuff buttons with the "Set." If this is something that bothers folks I'd recommend looking elsewhere. The 3/4" general service eagle button with the bad stamping I posted an image of came from S&S Sutler as well, all of the 3/4" GS eagle buttons I purchased from them had the same bad stamping. In fact, so far New Jersey Nick is the only guy I've purchased GS eagle buttons from that I like and are consistent with buttons I've purchased in the past.
                Last edited by Ian McWherter; 05-15-2011, 03:12 PM.
                Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Working...
                X