Mexican War haversack buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican War haversack buttons

Does anyone know where the buttons for a Mexican War haversack can be had? They're pewter shank buttons with an 'extra dome' in the center.
    [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
    Independent Volunteers
    [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Re: Mexican War haversack buttons

Zaharias had some listed on his last flyer.

Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
    Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Todd,
      You're making me a haversack? That's so nice of you. BTW, the restoration project is going extremely well.
      Tristan Galloway

Comment

Todd,
        If you order any quantity of them, I would love to buy one off of you (not sure if Mr. Zacharias would sell a single button or not).
        -Sam Dolan
        Samuel K. Dolan
        1st Texas Infantry
        SUVCW

Comment

He was out when last I enquired (a few weeks ago), and my other source, Winchester Sutler, is also out at present and seeing if he can get more. Back in the day the best source was W.K. Osman, but they sold out several years ago. I'd be interested to know if there is anyone else or if someone would be interested in doing a casting. I've gone through over 200 in the last 3 years just making haversacks and 1830 knapsacks.
          Ross L. Lamoreaux
          rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Years ago I bought several from O'dea & Company when he was selling off some of his old Civil War inventory. I still see him every few years with old cast reproductions of items he has pulled from storage for sale. Might give him a try.
            Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
            1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
            Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Thanks for the tips on where to find these buttons. I'll shake the trees.

Tristan - I'd be glad to trade you a haversack for your restoration project.

Sam - I'll get an extra one if I can find them. They're $3.00 each at the Button Baron.
              Independent Volunteers

Comment

I'm going to a nearby rev. war event tomorrow...if you can send me a pic of exactly what you're looking for I'd be glad to let you know what I can find. I'm going over to look for some thread and civi buttons myself and possibly some linen fabric. It's a small event but they usually have fairly good vendors.
                Luke Gilly
                Breckinridge Greys
                Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

The button in question can be found here: http://www.thebuttonbaron.com/pdfs/usarmybuttons.pdf fourth row down, first on the left, with the caption '1848 Solid Cast Pewter US Army Haversack Button' . It's a very specific button, pewter shank with an extra 'gob' of pewter on the top. If you do run across a button of that description I would certainly appreciate information about who carries them.
                  Independent Volunteers

Comment

Working...
                  X