X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle Cramps

Dear Everybody,

I put this same question on the CWRD Forum, I'm not sure if it belongs in "the sinks" or not. Sorry if it doesn't. Does anybody know a good way to neutralize muscle cramps? I get them when I do lots of sweating and exercise. I'm in relatively good fitness due to athletics, have an average diet and no major health problems. I just need to find a way to get through some big battles without actually being carried off. I don't get the little "they'll go away in a minute" cramps, I get the "Oh My God I can't move my leg" cramps. Please put any remedy you know for these. I am desperate to find something that at least curbs them. It doesn't have to be period, I may just have to have a hidden "moment of farb," but anything is better than being stuck on the battlefield with terrible cramps. Thank You all for your imput in advance.
    Taylor Kessen

5th Ohio Light Artillery Battery and 29th OVI

Then We shall give them the bayonet!- Jackson

Re: Muscle Cramps

Taylor,

I had the same problem once during an even at Pickett's Mill, Georgia. My legs were cramped and seized up completely with excruciating pain for about half an hour, and I had to fall out. It hurt so bad I rolled up my trouser legs and sort of massaged my legs with a large rock! While trying to catch up with my company later I was told by someone that I needed more potassium. I don't doubt that it helped either...I changed my diet somewhat to include more potassium and it's never happened since.
    Brian White
    [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
    [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Taylor,

If this is a recurring problem that plagues you in daily life, you don't need the advice of reenactors, you need to consult with your primary care physician. There may be a medical cause for this condition.
      Joe Smotherman

Comment

I would echo the potassium suggestion. I've heard numerous times that low potassium is the most likely reason for cramps.

I was starting to cramp up during some pretty hard marching at Into The Piney Woods, and got hold of a couple of potassium pills from a bottle that our lieutenant was carrying with him. The cramping stopped shortly afterward. You can buy potassium pills at any pharmacy.

Here's a lst of foods that are high in potassium: http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food...sium-foods.htm Bananas and oranges seem to be the handiest items on the list. Increase your potassium intake before the event and it my well relieve the problem. Cramps are no fun.
        [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
        [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
        Independent Volunteers
        [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

Taylor,
          If you are suffering from muscle cramps when it’s hot out you may be dehydrated.
          I had a friend in Army basic training who suffered from this problem when running. He was told to drink more water, and that helped HIS problem, but with that said, checking with a doctor would be a better Idea then advice from random people.
          Alex Peoples

Comment

Dehydration, low sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium and other salts.....brought about via exertion, heat and exercise....but there are several types of muscle cramps with different causation. Like others have said, it would be advisable to check with your physician just to be on the safe side. The doc can probably suggest some supplements or diet that will help the problem.
            A. Redd
            Andy Redd

Comment

Drink more water to prevent dehydration (this starts days before an event). Eat Bannans before an event. Eat raw potatoes during an event. This will boost your potassium levels. You may also try drinking pickle juice the morning of the event.

If you want a farb way...keep a packet of gatorade mix in your haversack. When you start to cramp...eat it. It's basically pure electrolytes (sp?).

Source: College Football...and I coach in High School. Cramps on the sideline are a daily thing. This is how trainers tell you take care of them.
              Luke Gilly
              Breckinridge Greys
              Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

What Joe said...see your Doctor. This hardly Web MD
                [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

There are a lot of good suggestions here. I'd follow them when going to hot weather events. But, this is the AC, not Web MD as Pete and Joe stated. Thread is closed.
                  Herb Coats
                  Armory Guards &
                  WIG

Comment

Working...
                  X