Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USSC Slippers and deer leather item projects??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USSC Slippers and deer leather item projects??

I have some odd projects that I would like to get done. However, I do nto have the skills, knowledge and/or equipment to complete. I am looking for some suggestions on getting these projects worked on.

1) I have been wanting to get some period slippers made. I often do LH's at two historic sites in Michigan and these would be great to have. I have a USSC pattern but it is greek to me and does not have enough info for me to fiqure it out. It states they should be made with stout woolen cloth with a cotton or cotton flannel lining with a stiff sole of pasteboard or pole leather.

2) I have many tanned hairless deer hides. I have been wanting for years to get some gloves, pouches and maybe slippers made up.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Re: USSC Slippers and deer leather item projects??

For instructions on the slippers, look for a book called Every Lady Her Own Shoemaker, published in the 1850s, but out in reprint and possibly even online somewhere. It has detailed instructions on making men's slippers as turnshoes with a leather sole. I assume "pasteboard or pole leather" is supposed to be sole leather? The instructions wouldn't translate directly to making them with a pasteboard sole, since it requires the thickness of the leather the way they're sewn together, so not sure where to find directions for attaching a pasteboard sole.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com
    Hank Trent

Comment

Working...
    X