appraising Enfield rifled-musket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• appraising Enfield rifled-musket

This question is specific to my case but hopefully the answers will be relevant to others as well.

There is a local individual selling a Barnett Enfield for $650 obo. That sounds like a reasonable price for an original, but I know almost nothing about appraising original weapons. It does appear to be in rough shape there are a couple cracks in the stock including one right behind the lock plate that would most likely make it unsafe to fire (not that I would anyway). It also appears to be missing the middle barrel band. On the other hand, there are a couple of things that I believe increase its value. It has Barnett markings and has a soldier's name engraved on it (soldiers and sailors database includes a soldier with the correct initials and surname who fought in a local company).

If I get the change to examine it in person, what other markings or things should I be aware of in assessing it's condition and value?
    Tyler D. Scott

Re: appraising Enfield rifled-musket

CW Relic Man has a good deal of information available.

In terms of value, I couldn't give a ballpark figure, but what someone is paying for at this point is an item belonging to a unit- not a displayable wartime condition Enfield. Due to the missing pieces, it would knock down the value and def. not command a premium value. Depending on someone's obsession with a unit will determine the value. I know of an Enfield rifle in average condition, probably worth $1300, but I'd pay $3000 easy because of the unit connection -and it wouldn't be for sale again as long as I'm alive.

Really, collecting is about artistic tastes and how long someone will be willing to wait to find another like it. An art dealer sees ratty old musket; a CW collector sees a 5-year old's crayon scribbling.
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

US or CS name?? Suggest you go to Tim Prince's web site http://collegehillarsenal.com/store/
      and look at the sold Enfields. His explanation of the markings is very good.

Check and make sure there are no Arabic writing markings anywhere on the gun. If the carving is period (not recently applied) and the ID works out, snap it up. ID guns don't have to be pretty.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO. very hard.. much like buying a "pig in a poke" sight unseen.
        Having the gun in hand helps immeasurably. Good photos some too in Cyberland.

And yes, there are al;so a number of Iraqi and Afghan "bizarre", er 'bazaar' guns floating around sold to unsuspecting and unknowing U.S. servicemen. And there is also some "ratty' stuff that came in from a Nepalese warehouse a few years back. And before them some Hindu marked pieces legit and manufactured from "Khyber Pass" counterfeit type work.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

To echo Curt's message - $650 for an actual American Civil War Enfield is a pipe dream these days. Especially with the increased appreciation of European arms in the collecting community. Although Enfields have always been highly prized - the increased knowledge on Confederate imported weapons have now caused the prices of those to nearly double and likewise has caused the average Enfield to go up in price as well.

Also - in the 11 years I have been in business in the Clarksville / Dover area, I have seen an influx of Enfields being brought back by soldiers at Fort Campbell from Iraq, Afghanistan, and other parts of the world. They are picking these up for anywhere between $200 - $500 American and are bringing them back to sell - not knowing that they are not Civil War used. As Curt eludes to - watch out for the Atlanta Cutlery guns that surfaced several years ago.

Look over the gun and look for any British markings (ie broad arrow) also look at the lock plate to see if it fits tightly into the gun. If there are large gaps between the stock and the lock plate or it does not fit 'snug' against the bolster, then it is possible the lockplate has been replaced. Barnett's are fairly desirable and even an average one would sell for $1,000.00 - $1,400.00. Not sure if this helps - but if in doubt - get it checked out by any of those referenced above.

John Walsh
          John Walsh

"Is a gentleman with a brostache invited to this party?''

Comment

Well, maybe I missed out on a great deal. He sold it before I was able to take a look at it.
            Tyler D. Scott

Comment

Working...
            X