Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification of Forage Cap

Hello All,

I work at a Civil War battlefield park and have come into possession of a forage cap. It was donated by a visitor and I and my co-worker are having a hard time identifying said cap. A brief description would be as follows: the body is made of green/olive drab jean cloth with a red wool band, the inside lining is a white cotton material that nearly resembles huck cloth, the brim and chin strap are made of leather, two plain brass dome buttons attach the chin strap to the cap. Unfortunately, the attached photograph is as good as I could get. If anyone has any information on such a cap we would greatly appreciate. We at the park strive for authenticity to the fullest and want to be able to confirm our donated articles before use. Thank you.

Best regards,

Zachary Pittard

Re: Identification of Forage Cap

Bad reproduction or so it appears to me.
    David H. Thomas
    Starr's NC Battery
    Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Re: Identification of Forage Cap

Thank you kindly David. As we began looking over it more and discussing it more it is indeed a very, very bad repro. I think the leather brim, if one can call it leather, is a cheaper type wallet leather. We determined there is no place for it at our park. Thanks again.
      Best regards,

Zachary Pittard

Comment

Working...
      X