Getting Back to Our Roots - Thomas' Mudsills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Back to Our Roots - Thomas' Mudsills

Given our recent discussions, I think it is a good time to look back at the roots of authenticity in reenacting. This was posted on Dave Thomas' Facebook feed. It is an excellent introduction to the beginnings of the authentic movement for the newer members of our community. Click Here to Visit the Thread on CivilWarTalk.

Thomas' Mudsills - Posted on CivilWarTalk By James N.

Back around the time of the Bicentennial of the American Revolution in the mid-to-late 1970's Civil War reenacting as we have come to know it was still in its infancy. In states that could boast no Revolutionary War connections the Civil War was universally embraced as the period of choice by the majority of reenactors. Lacking no national organization to compare with the Brigade of the American Revolution, few Civil War reenactors aspired to anything like authenticity and seemed to be satisfied by becoming and remaining what was derisively being termed "farbs" by the few that hoped to improve; at least that was true here in Texas where I began my reenacting career in 1976.

Things began to change for the unit I belonged to as we began to travel farther afield in our reenacting and became exposed to more progressive ideas and ideals. At that time the unit that we were most impressed with and ultimately influenced by was the group of authentic Federal reenactors known as Thomas' Mudsills commanded by Captain George Derenberger, a pioneer in authentic reenacting. He is pictured above left conducting an open knapsack inspection at Billie Creek Village, Indiana, and below at Jefferson Barracks outside St. Louis, Missouri; his Lieutenant John Zaharias who was probably better-known as a sutler is sampling the contents of some recruit's knapsack, to the amusement of the captain and the other soldiers. This level of authenticity and activity was at the time a novelty, captured here by our unit photographer, Carol Marrs. A third officer was later added to the Mudsills in the person of Kal Kinzer.

At this time most units were recruited locally and known for a famous regiment or local hero. The Mudsills were instead made up of (mostly) Midwestern authentics from various states - the forerunner of National organizations - and added the derisive Confederate term for Northerners to that of probably the most significant Union leader in the region, Maj. Gen. George Henry Thomas. (Other similar Confederate organizations around the same time were called Cleburne's Command and Breckenridge's Brigade which were largely from Tennessee and Kentucky respectively.) The first time I saw them as a new recruit to reenacting at Corinth, Mississippi in May 1976 there were only a few present but they were the only ones to have anything like an authentic camp, as seen below. One important fact to remember is that back as far as this there were few sutlers and anything like authentic uniforms and equipment was very hard to find and in many cases actually had to be hand-made. (Zaharias manufactured a number of the items he sold; I still have my first tarred haversack I bought from him back then.) Nothing was being imported from overseas, especially China, and C & D Jarnagin was probably the only source for correct commercially-made uniforms.

Thomas' Mudsills were remarkable at the time for the authentic camps they erected as well as the drill they routinely performed. Above is their camp at Billie Creek, unlike anything seen in Trans-Mississippi reenacting; below at right they are drilling in front of our gun line and reproduction mountain howitzer. At left below is a companion photo to one at top showing them performing the maneuver forming square to repel cavalry.

One indicator of the degree of acceptance the Mudsills acquired was that they were among the first - possibly the first! - to receive invitations from the National Park Service to conduct Living History demonstrations on battlefields like Chickamauga where they erected a Memorial Day weekend camp at the Snodgrass House. I attended this event as a member of The Confederate Guard which was vouched for by Derenberger to the NPS as an authentic Confederate unit; we camped at the Brotherton House, site of the Confederate breakthrough. From there we marched to meet them for a joint Memorial Day commemoration.

It was largely on the battlefield where the Mudsills made their greatest impression on us, however. Here above and below in the battle at Jeff Barracks their regimental formation advances against our admittedly farby battery of scaled-down reproduction artillery, again captured by Carol Marrs on film.

It is my belief that members of the original Mudsills went on to organize what became by the time of the 125th anniversary events in the 1980's the Western Battalion of Federal authentics. Anyone having additional reminiscences of George Derenburger or Thomas' Mudsills is encouraged to share them here with us and possibly correct any misrepresentations I may have inadvertently made now forty years after the events described!

CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ORIGINAL DISCUSSION AT CIVILWARTALK
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 04-25-2017, 06:34 AM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Getting Back to Our Roots - Thomas' Mudsills

When I started in (mainstream) reenacting in the early 80s (At the ripe old age of 12,) the biggest event of the year was each September at the Village of East Davenport (during the war the site on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi had been Camp McClellan.) It was the big finish of each season and I would look forward to it every summer.
    The Mudsills used to "troll" the event each year, to the great annoyance to us 'streamers. One year they all showed up as officers- 20-30 lieutenants and captains. Another they all came in (presumably original) Span Am gear! I remember being righteously indignant at the time, but I now realize how awesome it was.

Little did I know that in less than a decade I would be a member of the 'Sills! My personal favorite memory (outside the various events at Athens MO) was actually making Sherman's neckties at an event at Janesville, Wisconsin.

I was only a Mudsill for 5 or 6 years in the early 90s. Obviously, Paul McKee, Scott Cross, and John Wedeward are gonna be the ones with the great Mudsill stories!
    Last edited by Arch Campbell; 04-25-2017, 11:20 AM. Reason: Spellin'
    Arch Campbell
    Hairy Nation
    Loyal Union League
    Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

Thanks Arch for being a pioneer and yes, I would love to hear from more Mudsills. We should pay some homage to those who came before us.
      ERIC TIPTON
      Former AC Owner

Comment

Arch not always.
        Most of the guys would fall in and serve on a Mudsill gun. We would drill and do firing demos for the public on Saturday morning, then go visit the bars during Saturday's battle. Latter we put on Spam-Am uniforms. As for the General and the Staff, we all had been to a collector show in Union, Il an decided to all show up as officers.
        Brian Baird

- - - Updated - - -

Click image for larger version

Name:	span-am 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	225304

Brian Baird

Comment

That's great, Brian- love seeing that pic! Id post a picture of myself at that event, but it would undoubtedly flagrantly violate several authenticity codes of this website :)

I dont think I was aware of the existence of the Mudsill Battery at that time, so I guess I never knew there were (GASP) Mudsills all around me!

I definitely should have included you on my list of 'sills that were still around- my apologies for the oversight.
          Arch Campbell
          Hairy Nation
          Loyal Union League
          Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

My first event was Perryville in 1976. I was in a small Tennessee group that fell in with the above referenced Breckenridge Brigade. Cleburnes was also present. At some point Saturday, the Mudsills took the field to drill. Cleburnes and Breckenridge went out to drill. Pretty soon, the "authentics" drilling turned into an impromptu skirmish. We shot at them and they shot at us. The farbs, who were not drilling, got all excited and grabbed their Winchesters, M-1s, pump shotguns (no, I'm not kidding), and ran out to join the fun. As they began blazing away at each other (farbs shooting at farbs), the Mudsills, Cleburnes and Breckenridge all stopped shooting, wheeled into one line together, more or less dressed, advanced on the farbs and swept them from the field. This pissed off the farbs pretty good.
            Joe Smotherman

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
              My first event was Perryville in 1976. I was in a small Tennessee group that fell in with the above referenced Breckenridge Brigade. Cleburnes was also present. At some point Saturday, the Mudsills took the field to drill. Cleburnes and Breckenridge went out to drill. Pretty soon, the "authentics" drilling turned into an impromptu skirmish. We shot at them and they shot at us. The farbs, who were not drilling, got all excited and grabbed their Winchesters, M-1s, pump shotguns (no, I'm not kidding), and ran out to join the fun. As they began blazing away at each other (farbs shooting at farbs), the Mudsills, Cleburnes and Breckenridge all stopped shooting, wheeled into one line together, more or less dressed, advanced on the farbs and swept them from the field. This pissed off the farbs pretty good.
              When I first started the hobby I remember some of the old timers telling a story similar to this. Perhaps this was the one they were speaking of.
              Tyler Underwood
              Pawleys Island #409 AFM
              Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

The farbs, who were not drilling, got all excited and grabbed their Winchesters, M-1s, pump shotguns (no, I'm not kidding), and ran out to join the fun.
                How could they do that without feeling a profound sense of shame? I feel embarrassed over my fatigue coat being somewhat mainstream in manufacture (scheduled to be replaced this year, budget willing).
                Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
                Museum administrator in New Mexico

Comment

Originally posted by NMVolunteer View Post
                  How could they do that without feeling a profound sense of shame? I feel embarrassed over my fatigue coat being somewhat mainstream in manufacture (scheduled to be replaced this year, budget willing).
                  In 1976, farbs had no shame. The hobby was not nearly so fractured into divisions as today. Everyone was mainstream, but some were authentic and some were farbs. Authentics wore wool uniforms, carried three banded muskets and drilled from period manuals. Farbs just gaggled about wearing anything. There was almost zero civilian interpretation. There were already some invitation only type events, like the Mill Springs, KY, event hosted by the Jeff Davis Rifles and a tactical/outpost type event outside Corinth, MS, that I believe was hosted by Jarnigan. But most events were mainstream by today's standards - rows of tents, coolers of beer, and a set schedule for battles.
                  Joe Smotherman

Comment

Name:	Cleburnes mid-70s.jpg
Size:	966.1 KB
ID:	225315

Cleburnes in the mid-1970's, not certain of the year or location.
                    Joe Smotherman

Comment

Mudsill Reunion is coming up in Indianapolis as I understand.
                      ERIC TIPTON
                      Former AC Owner

Comment

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	225317Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	225318

Here are two "classic" photos of Mudsils and Cleburnes in the early days. The B&W is confederate prisoners at Ft Donelson circa 74 ish. the newspaper clipping is the dedication of the Bushrod Johnson monument at Chickamauga. Circa 1977.

Ike Gatlin
                        Last edited by Ken Cornett; 05-01-2017, 01:05 PM. Reason: Signature
                        Ike Gatlin

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51760[/ATTACH]

Cleburnes in the mid-1970's, not certain of the year or location.
                          Joe, this is Chickamauga at the Bushrod Johnson Monument dedication. Circa 1977?
                          Mudsils and Cleburnes where the only invites. I do remember John Hudson challenging the Army Reservists to a drill competition. Yet another time and place I learned "colorful" words from a Marine.
                          Ike Gatlin
                          (Insert qualifications here)
                          Ike Gatlin

Comment

There were a lot of great folks in the Mudsills, and their story is well worth remembering. But they weren't the first of our authentic linage.

I had attended Centennial (1961-1965) events as a small child and then continued to associate with many of the original N-SSA (North-South Skirmish Association) live fire folks throughout my early childhood. I had attended the New Market "farb-fest" as a spectator annually for as long as I can remember. Of course I made the rounds of all the east coast Civil War battlefields and museums, and got to know many of the relic dealers.

I began actively participating as an "authentic" in Civil War events in the early 1970's. My first reenactment unit was Ripley Robison's 38th VA, Fauquier Battery -- and we were earnestly and successfully attempting to be as authentic as possible. Beginning when I reached 14 years old, I also took my place as one of the few "authentics" in N-SSA live fire competition with a series of woefully unauthentic teams (though we were using original arms, a great deal of original equipage, and even some original uniforms). The Fauquier Battery's earliest reenactment companions were the already well established authentics, know as "The Black Hats". It soon became apparent to me that the finest unit on the field was know as "Sherman's Bummers". I was proud member of the Bummer from the mid to late '70's. With the creation of the "Irish Brigade" (forerunner of the 116th PVI) I was torn. The "Irish" offered me a more typical eastern theater impresion, but nobody matched the military bearing of the Bummers. I also realized living history programs, especially a summer I spent working as a National Park Service living history interpreter, brought me more satisfaction than battle reenactments.

Divisive organizational politics (and in some cases, an overabundance of recreational drugs) beset the Bummers and the Irish at a time when I was selling off my collection to fund college expenses and home purchases ... while a developing career, marriage, and ultimately four daughters redirected my attention. I have dabbled in sultering and civilian impressions both in the late 70's and more recently.

So, remember the Mudsills. But also know The Black Hats and The Bummers, and many lesser know units and individuals -- upon who's shoulders current authentics stand. And know that a goodly number of those old guys are still with us today.
                            Andy Conlon

Comment

Originally posted by Arch Campbell View Post
                              When I started in (mainstream) reenacting in the early 80s (At the ripe old age of 12,) the biggest event of the year was each September at the Village of East Davenport (during the war the site on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi had been Camp McClellan.) It was the big finish of each season and I would look forward to it every summer.
                              The Mudsills used to "troll" the event each year, to the great annoyance to us 'streamers. One year they all showed up as officers- 20-30 lieutenants and captains. Another they all came in (presumably original) Span Am gear! I remember being righteously indignant at the time, but I now realize how awesome it was.

Little did I know that in less than a decade I would be a member of the 'Sills! My personal favorite memory (outside the various events at Athens MO) was actually making Sherman's neckties at an event at Janesville, Wisconsin.

I was only a Mudsill for 5 or 6 years in the early 90s. Obviously, Paul McKee, Scott Cross, and John Wedeward are gonna be the ones with the great Mudsill stories!
                              This was Still one of the "neatest" things we ever did. And may have been the ONLY time it was done since the war. (You need a period railroad with the CORRECT rail and a site that will actually let you do it. As far as I know, the rails are STILL there almost 30 years later. Posing with "Sherman Neck Ties.Click image for larger version

Name:	posing with Sherman Neckties.jpg
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	225328
                              - - - Updated - - -

Members of The Mudsills posing with our Sherman Neckties. 1990

Bending the rails into "Sherman Neckties Click image for larger version

Name:	bending rails 5.jpg
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	225329

Originally posted by Eric Tipton View Post
                              Thanks Arch for being a pioneer and yes, I would love to hear from more Mudsills. We should pay some homage to those who came before us.
                              And still with you. See you at Lookout Mnt. Weed
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by weed; 05-06-2017, 07:50 AM. Reason: c
                              John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
                              The Hard Head Mess
                              The Old Northwest Volunteers
                              5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
                              Civil War Battlefield Preservation
                              Sons of American Revolution
                              Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
                              Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
                              Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

Working...
                              X