Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather gear - smooth or rough side out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather gear - smooth or rough side out?

One thing I have been thinking about.

It is my impression that american leather gear, like belts, cartridge box and similar was made with the smooth side of the leather out.
    Danish gear was made with rough side out.

Anyone that can explain the advantages/disadvantages of having each side out?
    Thomas Aagaard

Re: Leather gear - smooth or rough side out?

Hallo!

Being really brief here... ;)

The main (perceived or real) advantage is that the "rough" side up or out allows the item to sustain scratches, etc that are not quite so (immediately) "unmilitary looking." And can be hid by rewaxing/repolishing quickly and easily.

("Side Trivia." The Germans did the same in WWI and WWII with the uppers of their boots and shoes being smoothside-out but with the bottoms being rough-out.)

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

While visiting a civil war exhibit a few years ago, I was struck by the fact that of the four full sets of federal accoutrements on display, all eight items of belting were of rough-out leather. There is a set at a local museum where the cartridge box strap is clearly smooth-out leather but the waistbelt seems to be rough-out.

Have I conducted a thorough survey of existing accoutrement belting? No, I haven't. I've handled quite a few original boxes and pouches, but belts and straps seem to be harder to come by. I'm sure there's someone out there who has done the serious research on this.

One important caveat would be that the finish on 150 year old leather can be pretty degraded, and I can easily imagine smooth-out leather appearing to be rough-out if one is not inspecting closely.
      Arch Campbell
      Hairy Nation
      Loyal Union League
      Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

Since the original question was about the Danish exchange I will answer the question on Federal issues.

In 1855 the Ordnance Dept. allowed a new leather for belts, cartridge box belt, sword belt, NCO belts, etc. The leather was referred to as black leather and it was about a year later when the term upper or waxed leather further defined the type of leather. This was all done do to issues with the blackened buff, for more information read “The Strange History of Buff Leather: It’s Origins and Military Applications” published in the Spring issue of 2016 Company of Military Historians.

Once the leather type was switched to waxed it would remain until September 1, 1862 contracts when the leather was switched to bridle or smooth side was now turned out. Blackened buff was still contracted for during this period but due to limited sources waxed tended to be largest type of leather supplied for belting.

Cartridge boxes, cap pouches, holsters, straps on knapsacks and haversacks was always bridle (smooth side out), etc.

David Jarnagin
        Djarnagin@bellsouth.net

Comment

actually it was not about the danish exchange. But the fact that the danish army made their equipment rough side out.

And my impression was that US gear was smooth side out.

Sorry for the confusion.
          Thomas Aagaard

Comment

That's an interesting observation about the difference in leather gear between American and Danish styles. The choice of having the smooth or rough side out can be influenced by various factors.
            Cameron Churchillt

Comment

And as far as I know, having the smooth side out can provide a sleek and polished appearance. It's also easier to clean and maintain. On the other hand, having the rough side out can offer better grip and durability, making it ideal for certain outdoor or military applications.

Advantages and disadvantages really depend on the intended use and personal preference. The smooth side out looks more formal, while the rough side out offers practicality and grip.

And if you're still curious about leather or want to dive deeper into the subject, I've got a suggestion. Explore vonbaer.com; they've got some informative content that might provide more insights into leather gear and its variations.​
              Last edited by Cameronjm; 11-13-2023, 01:54 AM.
              Cameron Churchillt

Comment

Working...
              X