How to make a period-correct flag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a period-correct flag.

I searched the forum for "flag" and did not find anything directly related to my quest.

I'm considering making a "Bonnie Blue Flag" using B&B Tart wool bunting. This will be to represent the first regimental flag of the 4th Louisiana Volunteer Infantry.

I have some experience hand sewing. I'm wondering if there are any sources on 19th century flag construction. For example, I notice that some flags have a sleeve to slide over a pole. Others have ties. If there are grommets, I would expect they were hand sewn.

Are there any references you all might know of concerning period flag construction?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve Sheldon
    Steve Sheldon

Tyler Underwood or Paul Luks. Both have extensive experience making period flags. Will Eichler is another source for information.

Reach out to them as they may be able to supply you with references and advise of any areas in which you should focus (or avoid) in making these. In the main, a good reproduction consists of patterns, materials, and construction. If you are going with B&B goods, you are already there with materials!

Looking forward to your finished products!
    Ivan Ingraham
    AC Moderator

Comment

Working...
    X